Camoflage

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by Ja5on, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When on a ship do you get urban camo as it blends in well with the grey finish of the ship?

also during the night do you change into black clothes and put black camo cream on to blend into the night?

yawa etib ekoj a si siht

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

yaw eht yb skcollob si siht

3. I remember seeing armed forces in camo at Manchester Airport, it was grey with WHSmiths, HMV and Starbucks logos all over.

4. sorry I was sifting through the newbie questons and thought I would have a go at making up a bone one

5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

EGALFOMAC ,ynnaf a era uoY

6. Ja5ob, it is necessary when the ship is at sea that it is not detected by hostile vessels, so what we do is 'darken ship' at night. That means all lighting on the upper decks is extinguished. However, there are a number of crew members that need to be able to see out into the darkness such as the Officer of the Watch, and QM/BM, and also others that need to go onto the upper deck. Obviously, if they have to go from a well lit environment they will not have any night vision ability therefore all the lights within the ship must be switched off.

Because it is so dark within the ship there is no need for black cammo cream or dark clothing, but people can't find their way around very well so guide lines are rigged leading around the ship, eg between a mess deck and the heads and bathrooms etc.

Now because we are no longer allowed to smoke inside the ship we have to go outside. That's when we need to get our cammo cream and black/grey DPM on. The problem with smoking at night is that the orange glow from a cigarette can be seen from miles away, so the navy commisioned a lot of research with the result being a number of tobacco manufacturers devised a range of non-glowing cigarettes purely for naval use.

I hope that information has been of some use to you.

7. yes very helpfull I assume these special cigarettes don't give off any heat so they can't be detected by night vision either right?

8. So is the MK 4 tip suppressor no longer in use then?

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

JPS are taking the lead on these new tabs, with the black packaging. Apparently they won't give you cancer either.

10. They've also got built in air fresheners and smoke diffusers so you can't smell them (Bootie version)

11. Correct, they are designed to burn at very very low temperatures so are not detected by thermal imaging cameras. I think that you'll find night vision equipment just amplifies the ambient light and does not detect heat.

As far as I'm aware it was considered obsolete and removed from service. They're probably in some store in Portsmouth in 'extended readiness'.

I believe the latest version are designed to be 'smoke free', but I'm not sure about the correct purpose for the air freshener. Is it so the cigarettes or the booties can't be smelt?

12. and the bootie version comes in artic desert and temperate camoflage