Cameron: "We are raising money for the rich"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by sgtpepperband, Dec 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The tories making the rich richer and the poor poorer? It'll never catch on.
  3. Slightly off topic, but . . .

Two psychologists were having lunch together when one said "I had a Freudian slip this morning"

"Oh really?" enquired the other.

"Yes - at breakfast this morning I turned to the wife and said 'you are a bitter and twisted old woman and you have ruined my life' when what I meant to say was 'could you pass the jam please' ".
  4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't think that your statement is wholly correct. While the Tories will work to make the rich richer, that is their role after all, I don't think they work at making the poor poorer.

It just happens that way as the rich get richer. I don't think the Tories think about the poor at all!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cameron: "We are raising money for the rich"

Let's face it, Goverment since its inception has the sole purpose of looking after the upper class. The introduce laws which allow the richest to pay the least tax (only the rich can afford the best accountants/lawyers for this purpose).
    Look at Sir Phillip Green - he 'paid' his wife £1bn in 'dividends' a few years back but as she is domiciled in Monaco she paid NOTHING in tax. Where were the government when this happened?? With Corporation Tax at 21% (currently) that's a whole lot of tax that went begging!!?
    I don't buy this bullshit about companies being moralistic about paying their taxes. It's in the executive board's best interest to reduce their outgoings to appease the shareholders. If you want companies to pay taxes change the laws you stupid politicians. Simplify the tax system and make it more transparent. EVERYBODY pays a rate of tax according to their income/profits.
  6. Where is Tam? Surprised he hasn't joined in on the band wagon!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I disagree. I know many working class people who are self-employed and pay for an accountant to do their books for an annual fee, which is often a lot less than you might think. They see it as an investment in itself (and deductible as well!). Many investment plans come with legal services included (paid for via 'adminstration fees') so many people are eligible for access to lawyers in the same way. Rich or otherwise.

Tax evasion is illegal - tax avoidance isn't. If you were in the same position would you not do the same? Do you have an ISA? Or a Children's Saving Bond? They're tax avoidance schemes. Can you declare with all honesty that you have declared every foreign purchase to Customs officers when returning to the UK, or - presuming you are/were serving - that you never "transferred" a warrant to Mrs. Clebbies on deployment, for a few extra quid in your pocket?

...and in doing that, you drive many companies who are generating income in the UK overseas. The employees of these very same companies are paying income-based taxes, so by accusing companies of being immoral is disrespectful towards everybody who works for them. And to single out politicians for being responsible for changing the laws, well they are the ones we voted for. If your MP does not speak on your behalf, petition them to do so. The public gets the Government that the public deserves.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  8. Cameron: "We are raising money for the rich"

@ sgtpepperband - I can categorically state that I have NEVER transferred a warrant to my wife as I have never been in the situation that's necessitated it - to do so on false pretences is fraudulent and liable to me being investigated. It's simply not worth losing my job for a measly few quid.
    Secondly, you seem to miss my point on my comment. My point is that the Government keep bleating on about companies being immoral by not paying their "fair share of taxes" however the likes of Starbucks, Google, Amazon et al are not breaking the law. They have the best people working for them that know the tax laws and how (legally) to avoid paying taxes.
    I do have an ISA but this is a LEGAL savings scheme endorsed by the Government. Having allowed me to save in a tax efficient savings scheme, I'd be rather grumpy if the government turned round and told me that I was immoral for not paying tax in my ISA!!
    The Government need to change the laws and close the loopholes that are currently evident. This will ensure that companies pay taxes against profits made in this country.