Cameron v Defence Chiefs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, May 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. David Cameron rebukes Armed Forces chiefs - Telegraph

I rather suspect that the Defence Chiefs know more about Defence than a professional politician. Liam Fox has an inkling but what Cameron knows about Defence/Operations could be written on a grain of rice with a pickaxe.
  2. The comments column below the article is worth a look
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My money is on Cameron though. It matters little how much he knows about defence issues, he holds the purse strings and, being a politician, any f***-ups due to any decision he makes will be automatically blamed on MoD.
  4. I'd have a little bit more time for Dave the Rave if he admitted that, as with everything else, there will be a mismatch in capability for the next decade, as the defence review states, and that this will be augmented by a closer working relationship with our allies. I know that sounds like political spin, but I feel happier knowing the PM has an inkling that we can't shit out MPAs at ten minutes notice rather than blundering forward with the conviction that everything is hunky-dory.

I seem to recall that this disparity between belief in the kit and reality on the ground characterised a certain Op TELIC, and that went oh so smoothly.
  5. Bearing in mind that the Armed Forces Chiefs are put in place by the government it is patently obvious who will win this one.