Calzaghe Wins

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by supermario, Nov 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Joe Calzaghe beats Roy Jones on points 118-109. Calzaghe down in the first round, but comes back strong and cuts Jones above the left eye.

Will he fight again??

Supermario

:nemo:

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Grrrrrr supermario, I was going to watch the repeat this morning :threaten:

3. That man's a living legend!
    When will he get the recognition he so thoroughly deserves?

4. Hard to believe there are people out there who still don't know about or don't appreciate Joe's contribution to the boxing game. I agree with Lamri that the man is a legend FFS. I don't think he will bother fighting again - he just wants to join Rocky Marciano and the mighty few in the pantheon of unbeaten champs. Bravo Zulu Joe.

Red Sailor

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Interesting though that now he has won he hasn't ruled out fighting again, whereas before he was adamant that this was his last bout. One eye on Marciano's record perhaps? Also amusing to hear Warren bleating on about how he could have earned Joe so much more money, if only Terry Marsh had done a better job!

6. Recognised that he is Italian?!!

7. Warren wanted Joe to fight more in America so HE could earn more money, fcuking leach. Maybe if Joe had been an ethnic minority he would have recieved more recognition ?.

8. He isn't Italian dear, he's Welsh ;)

9. Yea Lamri sweetie, Calzaghe is a very old, traditional welsh surname that you hear down the mines all the time isn't it?!!

10. What has that got to do with it?
    Bless :roll:

11. tiddlyoggy

Stirling,
    Maybe we're being too hard on Warren, I'm sure all promoters are the same, then again, I always got the impression that Lawless genuinely cared for his lads, Maloney too in his early days.

12. Well he won Sports Personality of the year 2007 he's already recieved an MBE and is on the 2008 honours receiving a CBE.

As other per the discussion with Rosie

He was born in East London. His Mother is Welsh and Father is Sardinian. Yet he has known as the Italian Dragon because he classes him self as an Italian Welshman lol

13. ...true, always had respect for Terry.
    I do think Joe should retire, he went to the lions den and won well, he has nothing else to prove.

14. Born in England (Hammersmith, Lahndahn), to a Welsh Mother, Sardininan father. Moved to Wales aged two. So he's technically English but everybody refers to him as Welsh, eg when he won sports personality of the year he was called the first Welsh winner since David Broome. His nicknames are the "Italian Dragon" and the "Pride of Wales". So I guess he's a daffodil toting leek muncher by choice. Cymru am Byth.

15. Pretty much what Tommo said then.
    :)

16. Jones or Calzaghe?? I kind of hope Jones hangs em up now, clearly the dalliances with the higher weights have hindered his ability to train and drop the weight, and that cut might cause more problems. Sure, he dropped Joe in rd 1, and could still be around the title belts but I think he's not going to improve on his record from now on.

As for Joe, he's in his prime, got the experience and the title, has put away two of the greatest fighters in Jones and Hopkins, I see him maybe going for one or two more big paydays, the lure of 50 unbeaten is big but its a fine line, although a return to Super mid is unlikely (he already beat Kessler handily) I don't think he will try to go up to Cruiser or even heavyweight, but its been done so I wait with interest.

17. ...er.... must be the detached retina from calling Robbie Reid a puff for losing to Joe....mind you, I chinned the **** out of Richie Woodhall.....

18. tiddlyoggy

S_C,
    I'd have to disagree with a few of the points you make above:
    1. "clearly the dalliances with the higher weights have hindered his ability to train and drop the weight," not necessarily so. An athlete such as this would be able to take weight variations in his stride with little affect on performance. Even amateur boxers' "walk around weight" is often up to a stone above fighting weight on a regular basis. His decline is far more likely due to age.
    2. "As for Joe, he's in his prime", again, I think that age is starting to catch up with Joe too, I would say his best was the Lacey fight.
    3. "has put away two of the greatest fighters in Jones and Hopkins", sorry, but again both past their best.
    I'm not trying to take anything away from Joe, a true great, arguably the greatest British pro ever, but let's see his last 2 for what they were; big pay days for boxers (legends even) in the twilight of their career.

19. Tiddly, a couple of pauses for thought.
    >I'd have to disagree with a few of the points you make above:
    1. "clearly the dalliances with the higher weights have hindered his ability to train and drop the weight," not necessarily so. An athlete such as this would be able to take weight variations in his stride with little affect on performance. Even amateur boxers' "walk around weight" is often up to a stone above fighting weight on a regular basis. His decline is far more likely due to age.

His own trainers opinion was that he has struggled since going up to light heavy/heavy to regain the condition of his mid/super mid days. Doubtless its age related also, but you could see the same effects on the greats like Hearns and Leonard that switched up weights from Welter up to L/H.

>2. "As for Joe, he's in his prime", again, I think that age is starting to catch up with Joe too, I would say his best was the Lacey fight.

Hmm, well hes right on the cusp of muscle build vs stamina at 36, and with his experience Id say he's a better boxer than earlier in his career when he shaded Robbie Reid and beat Woodhall. The recent delay caused by his hand injury might be the difference between 49 and 50 fights, although I think the promoter crapola might be a bigger problem and smaller purses in the downturn, since his victories entitle him to top billing and give him the draw to negotiate.

3. "has put away two of the greatest fighters in Jones and Hopkins", sorry, but again both past their best.
    I'm not trying to take anything away from Joe, a true great, arguably the greatest British pro ever, but let's see his last 2 for what they were; big pay days for boxers (legends even) in the twilight of their career.

I didn't say either were in their heyday, but still Jones showed flashes of why he's built his record and once rep as the best pound for pound fighter. Id say Hopkins wasnt much off his peak if at all, but if you listen to Hopkins he still is. (...The champ acoording to him..!)
    Would you say Eubank was past it when he beat him? Some say nearly killing Michael Watson forever robbed Eubank of his desire to finish an opponent, but still he won bouts.

20. tiddlyoggy

S_C,
    Clearly your opinions are well thought out, but again to counter;
    1. I don't think I've ever come across atrainer who hasn't claimed his boxer to be degraded for one reason or another. Think of old chestnuts such as "He's only at 90%", " You haven't seen the best of so and so yet", "That wasn't the real so and so you saw tonight". etc etc.
    2. I'll cede the point about experience, but I was talking purely about physical peak. Your comment about muscle Vs stamina sounds like a quote from health and fitness mag or some other such publication and may well be true, but the reactions start to slow in the 30's and the desire/hunger to drive the body starts to wane as does the ability to suffer punishment (it's no coincidence that upper age limit of 34 is applied to amateurs). Promoters, what can I say? The biggest reason not to watch pro boxing perhaps.
    3. Jones, anywhere near his heyday, would have stopped a fighter who persisted in sticking his chin out at close range to goad him, as Joe did. That he didn't is more than enough for me to believe he is well past his best. Hopkins, well he's not going to tell everyone that he's past it is he?
    As for Eubank, well that's a whole different subject for debate, but in a nutshell, no I don't think he was past it when Joe beat him, in fact I would say it was an upset. However, I always thought Eubank struggled with weight. Look at the size of him against his contemporaries, Benn for example, he was huge. Wasn't it around then that they started weighing in 24 hours before bouts? (Partly due to Watson if my memory serves). Far easier to cheat the scales! I can't subscribe to Eubank being robbed of his desire to finish, when you're in there and the adrenaline and the leather are flying it's a case of getting the job done.
    Lastly I agree with you in that I can't see him changing weight, he always looks comfortable and carries natural, as opposed to gym-built bodyweight, an advantage I can't see him giving up.