Calling all Gunners need help with Shell ID

Discussion in 'History' started by Guns, Aug 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I'm after some assistance please. I suspect 4" 35lb was long obsolete before you joined, however, I'm trying to identify the markings on star shell shell in that calibre. The projectile was made in 1943 and in 1961 "REPTD" was stencilled on the side. Any ideas as to what this denotes?

Got the above PM on ARRSE. As he has pointed out I am skin and essence and far too good looking, sorry young to know.

Anyone any ideas. First correct answer can have yesterday dogs off and a make and mend chit for last Wed.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not a clue, but sit next to a CPOGI of ancient origin... best guess: Rendered Empty Prior To Disposal.

Then again it may not be, so don't kick it. :wink:

Probably an obliging bubblehead may know better than a GI?
  3. A complete shot in the dark
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Uh-oh, standby obscene alternatives...
  5. In the day, a 4.5 shell with REP on it was supposedly Range Enhancing Properties.
    Sometimes it was stamped RET Range Enhancing Technologies.

TD used to mean Timed or timer Detonator.

Even I never crewed a 4" although must confess they were still around in abundance in 65. Generally as mountings not turrets.

All empty or soot or sand filled rounds were just stamped DP drill purpose, and were black with a (silver I think) band around them.

As two of the left in "A" turret on a county class, my main concern was remembering to open the air expulsion valves on the tree so as not to get the sh1t kicked out of me by the rest of the turrets crew after they had gotten over the sh1ts.
  6. When Granny has recovered from his birthday outing to Tesco's, I'm sure he'll be able to enlighten you. :wink:

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Google 'Gunnery Pocket Book' and see if that has the answers (if it is not already your usual bedtime reading).

When you have sorted the shell out you can work through the book and teach yourself to hum '1st part of Port watch to Repel Aircraft Stations' and other suitable gunnery tunes.

PS I bet I am the only personon RR who has heard Repel Aircraft Stations sounded off for real!
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, those Fokker Triplanes were nasty pieces of work, I'll bet. :wink:

Was that sounded-off on a bosun's call? (to the tune of Dambusters)

One ship I was on, the XO was obsessed with pipes on the bosun's call, it wasn't just 'Call the Hands', 'Standby for rounds', 'Officer off the day gangway at the pronto', 'the still', 'the carry on', 'the side' & 'Pipe down' but he even had 'Hands to Dinner' piped which was a sort of 'Stars on 45' extended version of all the others rolled into one - by the time it finished your scran was cold.
  9. Ninja that was common practice when I joined, and was the routine in my first three ships.
    I got three days 14's in my first for not being able to pipe" hands to dinner"
    and as soon as I had finished pun, had occassion to pipe it again and ended back on pun for playing sailors and adding a verbal "hands to dinner RP's to lunch" on the end.

10. Is not 'REPTD' simply an abbreviation for 'Reported'? In American military parlance it is/was a commonly used abbreviation
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ah yes, but if it was piped at 4 o'clockers it caused no end of confusion. :wink:
  12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Negative, Ninja, sounded off means on the bugle. Big ship stuff you see.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

I stand corrected. We did try using a bugler for just that sort of thing on Boxer in the (19) 80's. All went well until he left it loafing. Needless to say it was float-tested within the week.
  14. Anyway no body gave a fuck about hands to dinner, the pipe we wanted was "Hands of messes muster for Rum" :D
  15. Twice I've tried to open your link Ghost, and twice I've had my puter freeze and bring up Mal-ware warnings.
    You might want to check yours mate.
  16. What harm can there be in opening an Explosives Encyclopedia? Gotta go, I can hear sirens. :D
  17. True quick dit.

As I am a registered Firearms dealer (for the next week at least, giving it up ) the old Bill were in my living room this morning checking my register.
    The one looks at my laptop on the little table by my armchair and in classic plod voice asks "Interested in Explosives are we then sir".
    I stuttering tried to explain I was a gunner in the Andrew and there was a question.......he looked at my disbelievingly and said "we all have our problems sir".
  18. I found it on Google strangely enough. Have tried downloading it and, although no Malware warnings from my anti virus, it slows Internet Explorer dramatically.

Type 'REPTD explosive star shell' into Google and it's the 3rd link down.
  19. As long as it hasn't got 'INCOMING' written on it , you should be O.K.