Call the hands

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by matlowjohn, Aug 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been looking for it laid down anywhere in BR's but can't find it anywhere BR 67, 1834 the lot. Can anyone help me?

I am getting fed up with killicks telling other lads they did it wrong when they can't do it themselves. And even the killicks can't decide how it should sound!
  2. It should sound like this.

Doo Doo Doo Dit,

Doo Doo Doo Doowwwoooo,

Doo Doo Doo Dit,

Doo Doo Doo Doowwwoooo,

Doo Doo Doo Dit,

Doo Doo Doo Doowwwoooo Dooowwwoooo Doowwwoooo.

Or at least that's what I was taught.
  3. Rgr but do you know where it's laid down?
  4. Unfortunately you've spelt Matelot wrong in your username but I'll let you off on that one :p

Pretty much goes how 2DD does it. Although not the proper terms i.e trills and warbles but he is right with how it goes.

To be fair I doubt many do it, acutally properly as it consists of warbles and trills so a cheating version is done where little hand movement is done and just blowing in the manner to get the tones as said by 2DD is done.

The Joss or CBM will probably know where it's laid down in a BR

5. Haven't a clue, but I'm sure if you say some random off the internet told you it went like that, you will be fine.
  6. I did ask them they said BR 67 Seamanship Manual or BR 1834 Ceremonial HB but it is in neither even asked the POM
  7. Give the WO (AWW) a call at Collingwood. He's in charge of all Cermonial Training for the Navy. He might be able to help.
  8. You need to get yourself a more recent edition. :)

This is from the pull-out entitled 'The Boatswain's Call, how it is used, and some facts about it' in Vol I of the 1937 edition of the Admiralty Seamanship Manual as reprinted in 1942 (Price 7/6):

9. Found some calls in the 1951 Manual of Seamanship Vol 1 pages 75 - 78 [B.R. 67(1/51)]

under the title 'Passing Orders'

The use of the "Call" can be traced in 'English' ships right back to the times of the Crusades, about the middle of the 13th century. ( Talbot-Booth, All the World's Fighting Fleets)
  10. Followed switftly by the QM stating:

"Hand of COcKs, on Socks" - and probably many other variations to the theme, closely followed by the kicking of spitkid (contents included) down the length of the messdeck, or a severe banging of a dusbin lid !!

Guaranteed to wake the most heavy of sleepers ....
    Oh, I forgot, that was the old Navy ..... :p

11. So now for the sake of the old stupid and infirm, may I ask,

Do they still pipe the side, pipe other ships passing, rounds etc.
    And if they do who does it if no one is taught how to?
    I fuckin knew stopping the rum would have a detrimental effect on the Andrew, fuckin stop using oak to build the twatting ships soon mark my words.
  12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Rise and shine, the morning's fine, we're off the sunny coast of Spain
  13. Yes the side, call the hands, the still, carry on are still piped.

As for those who teach well they don't teach it per say. Those detailed off to do it end up learning on the spot now. The rouges never see a pipe during basic training seamanship week.

I was taught it at Raleigh, same with how to tie a cap tally. Now most of them get them done for them by those who know how to.
  14. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I've still got the 'Bosuns' call' and chain that I was issued in 1953. It's in a mankey state butI still have a go at 'Pipe Down' occasionally. The final trill, with my false teeth in, is a bit tricky though. haha.
  15. I've never been able to do the "Trill" well if at all Granny, so if you can still do it with false teeth I'm impressed :lol:
  16. I joined up as a JS2 and we had to pass exams in Bosun's Calls. It most definately WAS in the Seamanship Manual, with a little drawing for each call/pipe, as already described above. This was 1970. Maybe times have changed................. :roll:
  17. In 97 we got tested as well only on the side, still and carry on.
  18. That is the special call which does sound quite different to call the hands towards the end. And the BR's nowadays don't include it. I was taught how to use the boatswain's call on the bridge wing, used to get a badgeman's for getting it wrong! It should be brought back into the syllabus without a doubt.