call from afco today im confused ,changed interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by justjamieee, Sep 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. got a call today from the glasgow afco,and was asked my grades again,I had a date for my selection interview next month(aet).he said that aet ,could be as long as 4 years wait now ,and he will send me a form to post back with my grades again,as he has changed my application to officer,and i will go to an AIB instead,he also said that this would make things go faster.Has any one heard of this before,,,,,Thanks,,,,,
  2. Officers are still needed judging by the posts elsewhere so I imagine it will. If you have the grades to try for an officer then surely thats all good. N_S was around earlier so maybe he can help. Sounds like you have a Careers advisor who is determined to do his best for ya
  3. Thanks scouse,,,
  4. As I always say, I'm no expert and just another Applicant but I just read a hell of a lot of threads to kill time. There are Careers dudes here who know best and Im sure one will see your thread soon enough. Best of Luck whatever you do :)
  5. My CA suggested applying as a Warfare Officer every time I went in so maybe not that unusual. As Scouse said they are a bit short at the moment. Don't let them push you into it though. If you want to be an AET stick to your guns.
    Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
  6. I would seriously suggest to anyone being given a four year wait to use the time to get some A levels under your hat, then apply as an orrificer.

Just my two cents. If I was in the same situation that's what I'd probably do.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's entirely up to the individual which position they want to apply for.

The AFCO will simply advise which jobs are available for which to apply - given the recruiting test score, academic qualifications, nationality, residency status etc.

It would be somewhat remiss if, for example, a person eligible to join on £29K as a graduate Officer, were processed to join as a rating on £13K because they were not made aware of options available.

The only definitive way of becoming an Officer is by joining as one & if it transpires you make the cut and are selected to join as an Officer then your potential has been identified before you join as a Rating. If you don't hake the cut, then your application for rating remains unaffected - but you'll have a long wait to join.
  8. Yes, I heard from another Rating candidate, who told me that this had just happened to her, only this weekend. She'd got some good grades at college recently and been approached by the AFCO in the same way.

She's now going for Warfare Officer and is preparing for her Sift Interview with the ACLO.
  9. My advice ( for what it s worth ) is. if you have the qualifications for officer
    then go for it. You have nothing to loose and much to gain
  10. True..