Call centres in India

slim said:
Maxi_77 said:
Certainly no one owes any of us a living, if we can't do something that some one is prepared to pay what we want for the job, then we have no job, and no tarrif, law or trade barrier will protect us from that.

Whilst the unions and the government do bear some of the blame for the demise of our 'traditional' industries, the owners of the same industries are just as much to blame for both not investing, and trying to hide themselves from competition.

There is absolutely no point in setting yourself up in competition with some one who is happy with £1 an hour when you want £10, unless of course you can do the job 10 times better.

Having said that companies should also be wary of removing the differentiation which encourages their customers to choose them. If you outsource everything to cheap labour areas then your customers may well look at the global market rather than traditional brands. If you bank for example forces you to use India to communicate with them perhaps you in time will choose an Indian bank. Following the lowest cost labour can bring short term gains, and long term losses. It is twice as hard to recover a lost customer than it is to win a new customer.

Peter
Nicely put Peter
Personally I find any strong accent difficult to understand over the phone. The Indian call centres that I have experienced do not normaly use the clearest speakers of English. As I said previously. I will stop using the services of any company using overseas call centres. I would rather pay a little more for the services that I use and keep workers in the uK employed. Than pay a little less and have to pay mor in tax increases to support the UK ex workers on benefits
It is not so much the accent the person at the other end has but the skill they have at doing their job and the effectiveness of the systen they are using to give you the service, there are plenty of UK call centres that are just as bad as the Indian ones. And any way if some one at the end of the phone has a thick Indian accent they are just as likely to be in Southall or Glagow etc.

Peter

Tas-ape

Lantern Swinger
Your local call centre

Mujibar was trying to get a job in India
The Personnel Manager said, "Mujibar, you have passed all the tests, except one. Unless you pass it you cannot qualify for this job."

Mujibar said, "I am ready"

The manager said, "Make a sentence using the words Yellow, Pink and Green."

Mujibar thought for a few minutes and said, "Mister manager, I am ready"

The manager said, "Go ahead."

Mujibar said, "The telephone goes green, green, and I pink it up, and say, 'Yellow, this is Mujibar.'"

Mujibar now works as a technician at a call centre for computer problems.

No doubt you have spoken to him? :twisted:

Only reason I am on line is I borrowed a modem.

Man from Delhi he say must check filters blah blah nine phone calls later and I am still waiting on a modem. I was informed one on the way then the guy over here tells me nothing is on order for me.

One toe rag in Delhi told me I was arrogant because I kept saying pardon through not understanding his lingo. They speak so fast it is like listening to a frog in a jam jar.

Puter went of line after a thunderclap/lightning thing.

Are there any English speaking servers out there.

Backpacker1uk said:
Only reason I am on line is I borrowed a modem.

Man from Delhi he say must check filters blah blah nine phone calls later and I am still waiting on a modem. I was informed one on the way then the guy over here tells me nothing is on order for me.

One toe rag in Delhi told me I was arrogant because I kept saying pardon through not understanding his lingo. They speak so fast it is like listening to a frog in a jam jar.

Puter went of line after a thunderclap/lightning thing.

Are there any English speaking servers out there.
That modem going down during thunderstorms is a classic - It happened to me . I switched off computer cos it was really bad during the storm and unplugged it etc --------------------however I didn't pull the pc telephone line plug.

The BT exchange had a problem and there was a lot of dead modems in our area!! That was the days of internal modems without the broadband .
I suggest you buy one ------they are all the same its just that part of the sales hype when you go broadband is that they give you a free modem and the line filters.

As for call centres----well they apparently have a few in Glasgow as told by the local newspaper --cos its good for employement figures.

If you have problems with Hindu/English then I suggest its a soft option for the Glasgow translations :lol: :lol:

Always_a_Civvy said:
Nutty said:
I wanted to say that AAC but am not clever enough. Protectionisam did not work in the 20/30's did not work in 50's just look at the dock's, print, mines and car/motorcyle industry all hid behind barriers of tarrifs or union control amd collapsed. Like it or not it is a whole world we now have to compete with the Fuzzy Wuzzies have found out how to produce good quailty cars. Try catching up not wall building.

Nutty
Yes Nutty, but you put things across a lot more clearly (and with less verbosity) for most readers here I think. :)

Steve

I am a definately positively conservative minded true blue.
However by selling off the Mines ,shipbuilding, Railways ,Transport ,Dockyards, Water the Health Service the list is endless it was the worst thing they ever did .

The good news about Protectionism[Nationalised Industries] is the fact that people lived and worked in towns and villages and put money they earned back into the economy and their own community. Also the trades base for skilled workers kept at a level .
The biggest highlight was the fact that the dole we now pay out to the un employed in the ghost towns that used to be thriving was used to keep the industries going.[ie people worked for a living ]

At the moment every one is on the take wether they work or not .
Immigrant workers do not support the local community --most of the money they earn gets sent home to their own countries.
Private firms -profits usually get into the owners offshore bank accounts.Especially if they were owned by international companies.

The place is going to the dogs

We

Protectionism is an essential feature of today's world IMHO. If the doors are thrown wide open there is not a level playing field as many of those who will benefit from the move have over centuries developed skills for which we in the West have no answer. We have been conditioned to abide by social rules completely alien to other cultures where a dog eat dog mentality has developed through necessity and the law of the jungle prevails. It is getting that way in our culture as the safety of what was a very secure pattern of social order is being eroded by the introduction of a less controlled way of life. Maybe the words of Will Durant are being fulfilled;

" Civilisation begins with order, grows with liberty,
and dies with chaos"

Nutty: "So why do you expect businesses to pay more than they need to just to keep people in UK in jobs. The protectionist lobby are living in cloud cuckoo land."

AAC "Why should we expect a better standard of life than anyone else in the World simply because we arrogantly think we are more civilised or that our value system is superior to someone elses?"

You both miss the point - with adequate legislation and taxation policies (which inevitably would mean UK PLC has withdrawn from the EU) government could encourage certain essential skillsets EG manufacturing industries, to remain in the UK. Why shouldn't we legislate to give Brits better standards of living?

THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM IS ELECTED TO PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF UK CITIZENS NOT THOSE OF CITIZENS OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY...............

I have a problem with call centres in India.

I received a call from British Telecom regarding an overdue bill (I had forgotten it-fair enough) from a call centre in India. The person on the other end was articulate enough (probably more than I am on a good day) however when I was asked to pay over the phone I refused. I have a payment card so I informed the person that I would pay that way later on that day. When asked why I simply explained that I am a customer of British Telecom and therefore refuse to pay over the phone to a foreign call centre when I can pay in my own country.

I can see AAC/Steve's point however the cost of living in this country is high compared to other parts of the world. Also by using these foreign based call centres we are actually shooting ourselves in the foot. Employing people to do those jobs here doesn't mean that they will be done any better but it does mean that UK based employees are paying taxes and NI into the UK treasury rather than a foreign one.

Personally I will never do any kind of business with any organisation that has foreign call centres unless I specifically choose a foreign company. I am now trying to work out how I can switch from BT.

stab

F169 said:
Nutty: "So why do you expect businesses to pay more than they need to just to keep people in UK in jobs. The protectionist lobby are living in cloud cuckoo land."

AAC "Why should we expect a better standard of life than anyone else in the World simply because we arrogantly think we are more civilised or that our value system is superior to someone elses?"

You both miss the point - with adequate legislation and taxation policies (which inevitably would mean UK PLC has withdrawn from the EU) government could encourage certain essential skillsets EG manufacturing industries, to remain in the UK. Why shouldn't we legislate to give Brits better standards of living?

THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM IS ELECTED TO PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF UK CITIZENS NOT THOSE OF CITIZENS OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY...............
F169

I am not certain that any of our current or previous Pollies could set up legislation and taxation polices that would be accepted by England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the off shore Islands as all have their own personal axes to grind. They have failed to do so since WW11 why do you think they could have a positive mindset change now.

I also fail to understand why you think withdrawal from Europe would not effect our relations with them when they take just under 50% of our exports and god knows how much of our financial services. They could easily slap a 25% tarrif on all our goods and services. 50,000,000 customer market verses a 350,000,000 market. I think we may just come 2nd long before we can convince China, India, USA and South America to take our goods at a price higher than they can produce it themselves.

As for our current skills, would any of you stay in the UK for £100,000 a year when you were offered £200,000 a year with lower taxes. NO. we saw it it the 50's, 60's and 70's it was called the brain drain. Any EC or overseas company that wanted our skilled staff would just buy them at at price they would not refuse as they do now.

I am all for a goverment giving the population of the UK a better standard of living but to date all have failed to get even the basics, Education, Law and Order, Health and Transport anywhere near correct. Year on year it deteriorates which encourages all our "Is'amists" Communists, Facists, Islamists, Christian Fundamentalists, Unionists, Scotish/Welsh/Irish/Cornish Nationlists to divide the nation even more.

Afterv 59 years I have moved to a country were they get on with living building etc. If the EC issure a rule they do not like they just ignore it.

Oh. by the way, without representaion, I still pay UK taxes to support all you folk back in the UK with no benifit to myself, so I do have a say in what happens even if I have jumped ship.

Nutty

Nutty,

quite agree none of the current pollies on either side are up to it and I understand and echo your cynicism. It doesnt mean it cannot or shouldnt be done. I will certainly considering supporting the UKIP to exercise my protest vote.

At the moment Westminster decides Foreign policy on behalf of all the UK. The brain drain was in the 60s - remember tax of 98p in the pound?

A lot of of countries operate successfully outside a federalist block like the EU which is strangling British industry and commerce with over regulation. I live in one, next to one and am a citizen of another and what a surprise, trade and commerciaol success are alive and well with healthy growth rates and relatively low taxation, rates, fuel costs etc.

There are a lot of competing interests in Europe, most with multinational links and few would wish to hinder trade with an independent UK. Norway arent exactly struggling are they? Besides WTF do you think VAT is all about, if not because we are in the EU? Remember what it was like when as a nation we could choose what to buy and who from and to whom and what we could sell and not twat in Brussels could get in the way of us buying New Zealand butter?

If all the EU obeyed the regulations to the degree the UK does then I suggest the revolution would have already occurred in the country you live in!