Call centres in India

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by slim, Oct 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know about the rest of the RR but I am getting more than a little pissed off with ending up at Indian call centres when ever I have a problem.
    I have no issues with India or its people, but I would like to speak to a person that I am able to understand.
    For this reason I have taken decided that if ever I am directed to a non UK call center I will stop any dealings I have with the companies operating this system. My latest one is Orange, I will no longer use their cellnet phone service.
    We are loosing work here in the UK purely to save these multinational companies money so that they make even larger profits. At the same time we are throwing out of work decent people and making them part of the ever growing benefit society. I would be happy if someone could prove me wrong but I don't see ,it
  2. Another excuse for cheap labour and massive profits.
  3. Spooky as I'm currently working for Orange, I get to speak to India quite abit, some of them you would swear were english, but it is nice to get a customer call in and say how nice it is to speak to someone who isn't Indian
  4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

The worst call centre experience I had was with Norwich Union. I logged a claim with NU a few years ago - the initial contact was with a UK based operation but the claim was then passed over to be "managed" from India, with engineers assessments being co-ordinated by a separate group in the UK. I tried on several occasions to inform the claims management dept of where and when I wished the repairs to my bike to be carried out but they repeatedly told me (over a two week period) that my claim hadn't been transferred yet; in desperation I tried ringing NU head office to try and find someone in the UK and found a number for the engineers dept - they took the details of the repair arrangements and promised to visit the dealer on that day. Unfortunately, they got their wires crossed and rang the dealer on the day of the repair to arrange to visit the following day - too late came the reply! "Ooops - we screwed up" was NU's response, but despite admitting their error the dealer didn't get paid for a further 3 months. Its not just call-centres that piss me off, its inefficienct systems and procedures that just don't work (unless you're an accountant!).
  5. I would suggest that the whole of the internet community is pissed off with the current arrangements and ISPs. No doubt the recipients of our frustration do not like the situation with the user's anger at being shunted to someone in a far-away place, often impossible to understand and equally difficult to get understood. They'll live with it though as " they" have the jobs that rightly belong to the various countries condemned to use the overseas " call centres", and it's only a matter of time before they are living in the different countries and taking them over.I understand in UK this is already well advanced with pockets of the country virtually exclusive to various " commonwealth" people.
    In an earlier thread I remarked about Australia being relegated to number three on the most trusted trading nations list. That was because of the Australian Wheat Board wheeling and dealing with Sadam Hussein by paying bribes to the regime to keep the contracts. Never mind that the money was also funding SH's campaign against our troops. Think about it money to those set on killing our servicemen and women. Getting to the connection with the ISPs. The two at the bottom of this list are China and India, the latter now entrusted with all of our internet and no doubt banking information. And there's more.
    The process being used to overcome any initial resistance to off-shoring jobs is by handing over essential services to private control not neccessarily of the home country. This includes power, water and communications to name but a few.Thus governments in UK and Oz have no responsibility for these services and just sit back on their fat arses raking in the VAT or GST. No doubt while they are doing this lining up top jobs for when they leave politics and receiving big perks while in office, trips overseas, houses , cars whatever.
    That's the way it appears to me anyway and I believe that control of the essential services should remain with the government. In Oz we have a Mexican bandit (USA) dictating to the government regarding communications, telephones and internet. This massive network ,vital to the nation, lost money recently with the share value dropping. What happened, the head honcho got a million dollar bonus. Meanwhile he allocates all the top positions to fellow Americans.
    It can only be described as unreal, what the people are being subjected to. What can be done? nothing. It's gone too far now so get used to it as we are sold out by those entrusted with our welfare. Surely there has to be one almighty explosion somewhere soon but right now we are all being led like lambs to the slaughter, baaaaaaaa

6. How right you are, it's not just call centres, that is the tip of the iceberg.
    Here in the Midlands of the UK we have seen recently Peugeot closing it's factory in Coventry & transferring production to Eastern Europe, causing 2000 job losses, Rover closing ( for financial reasons ) & the business & tooling being bought by a Chinese Company who have restarted producing Rover Cars in China & most recently of all, HP Sauce in Birmingham being closed with several hundred job losses & production being transferred to Europe.

What has been revealed by the HP Sauce closure, is that it is owned by the Multi National Heinz. This is causing a local backlash with large slumps in the sale of all Heinz branded products.

All this "outsourcing" is done in the name of ever increasing profits., and when workers in the new production centres demand a living wage, they too will find themselves dumped on the scrap heap as the big companies move production to somewhere even cheaper yet again.
  7. And the latest is the takeover of Corvus the steel manufacturer by Tata.Tata have said that the UK work force is by no means guaranteed to remain as its cheaper to make steel in India than UK.The Govt need to stop takeovers like this.its just a backdoor way of eliminating competition.
  8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

And in the railway world GEC Metro Cammell went to Alstom, BREL in Derby went various ways, and then there is the complete run down of the old GEC Defence business that used to be thriving and is now a shadow of its former self. As a professional engineer I've had to look outside the UK's borders in order to continue my engineering career.
  9. Although not involving " call centres " this is an example of being sold out by political slime ( spit ). Sydney with the massive flow of traffic each way during the working week needs all the outlets it can get , bridge, tunnel with the means of getting in and outof the city from the North Shore. This requires freeways and one way streets and in general organised traffic.
    One such fast lane traffic flow was constructed with ( big ) money from an overseas company. The cost of the fast track to be recovered by a toll. What did the state government do, alter the whole traffic flow forcing motorists through the freeway. This ensured a fast cashway for the overseas company and stuffed up a lot of streets. Would you believe the same government was re-elected at the next eleection.

10. Perhaps I am missing the point but how many of you would pay £2 for a loaf of bread when you could buy it down the road for £1.

Let me guess, "None of You"

So why do you expect businesses to pay more than they need to just to keep people in UK in jobs. The protectionist lobby are living in cloud cuckoo land.

11. No it will be us paying the £2.00 for a loaf. Sending jobs out of the country inevitably puts people out of work and on to benefits. Who pays for these benefits? Certainly not the companies, definitely the UK tax payer.
  12. Exactly the point, no work no pay so how will people be able to buy anyway. This will reduce countries of reasonable living standards to third world status. Valuable skills developed over centuries will be lost and more importantly the very soul of the nation will be destroyed as the people loose their identity and national pride. It can be seen taking place now as people desert their homelands. This is a newly evolved creature , corporate dictatorship or right wing communism, call it what you will but it is not good imho
  13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Exactly! Its not rocket science to see that when manufacturing is moved overseas, skilled workers on a living wage are made unemployed - increasingly the only alternative is to retrain within the service "industry", e.g. retail, food, burger-flipping etc; the previous comfortable living wage is replaced by a lower average income, unless you are fortunate enough to be able to jump into a senior management role. All that globalisation is doing is enhancing the distinction between rich and poor - the rich are getting far richer, the poor are getting poorer and, as slim says, the social security burden (paid for out of general taxation) is rising.
  14. Why should we expect a better standard of life than anyone else in the World simply because we arrogantly think we are more civilised or that our value system is superior to someone elses? The attitude that somehow the rest of the World owes us a living and a certain wage entitlement is morally no different to those on benefits expecting the State to provide entitlement for them. Many here complain about the latter but do not associate their resistance to chance and realekonomik with the same dependency culture. In the global marketplace we all have to complete. Those of us who cannot compete will fall by the wayside and perish. That is, after all, what happens in nature. Humans are no different - we are part of nature and the natural system whether we like it or not - and we have no more entitlement to survival that either any other person or any other organism on the planet. It's called survival of the fittest! That's why the concept of rights is itself so problematic. We have no absolute right to exist, let alone any other claim-rights, etc.

End of rant.
  15. I like what you say Steve but though we have no right to exist try telling that to all the Benefit claimers. They are extremely quick to remind you that what they get is theirs as a right.
    They are backed up by liberals and lawyers (paid for out of the public purse).

More job losses = More Benefit Claiments
    More benefit claiments = Higher taxes (paid by the workers)

The country cannot go on like this, we have too many in this country claiming benefits. The system must be close to melting point.
    Too many claiments are receiving more in benefits than the worker who is paying tax and supporting them.
  16. I wanted to say that AAC but am not clever enough. Protectionisam did not work in the 20/30's did not work in 50's just look at the dock's, print, mines and car/motorcyle industry all hid behind barriers of tarrifs or union control amd collapsed. Like it or not it is a whole world we now have to compete with the Fuzzy Wuzzies have found out how to produce good quailty cars. Try catching up not wall building.

17. Yes Nutty, but you put things across a lot more clearly (and with less verbosity) for most readers here I think. :)

18. Certainly no one owes any of us a living, if we can't do something that some one is prepared to pay what we want for the job, then we have no job, and no tarrif, law or trade barrier will protect us from that.

Whilst the unions and the government do bear some of the blame for the demise of our 'traditional' industries, the owners of the same industries are just as much to blame for both not investing, and trying to hide themselves from competition.

There is absolutely no point in setting yourself up in competition with some one who is happy with £1 an hour when you want £10, unless of course you can do the job 10 times better.

Having said that companies should also be wary of removing the differentiation which encourages their customers to choose them. If you outsource everything to cheap labour areas then your customers may well look at the global market rather than traditional brands. If you bank for example forces you to use India to communicate with them perhaps you in time will choose an Indian bank. Following the lowest cost labour can bring short term gains, and long term losses. It is twice as hard to recover a lost customer than it is to win a new customer.

19. Nicely put Peter
    Personally I find any strong accent difficult to understand over the phone. The Indian call centres that I have experienced do not normaly use the clearest speakers of English. As I said previously. I will stop using the services of any company using overseas call centres. I would rather pay a little more for the services that I use and keep workers in the uK employed. Than pay a little less and have to pay mor in tax increases to support the UK ex workers on benefits
  20. Here's how the yanks do it.....but make your own mind up.

Real letter to the bank
    A 98-year-old American woman wrote this to her bank. The bank manager thought it amusing enough to have it published in the New York Times... but you could just imagine this being published in the London Times also....

Dear Sir:

I am writing to thank you for bouncing my check with which I endeavoured to pay my plumber last month.

By my calculations, three 'nanoseconds' must have elapsed between his presenting the check and the arrival in my account of the funds needed to honour it. I refer, of course, to the automatic monthly deposit of my Social Security check, an arrangement that, I admit, has been in place for only eight years.

You are to be commended for seizing that brief window of opportunity, and also for debiting my account $30 by way of penalty for the inconvenience caused to your bank.

My thankfulness springs from the manner in which this incident has caused me to rethink my errant financial ways.

I noticed that whereas I personally attend to your telephone calls and letters, when I try to contact you, I am confronted by the impersonal, overcharging, pre-recorded, faceless entity that your bank has become.

From now on, I, like you, choose only to deal with a flesh-and-blood person. My mortgage and loan payments will therefore and hereafter no longer be automatic, but will arrive at your bank by check, addressed personally and confidentially to an employee at your bank whom you must nominate.

Be aware that it is an offence under the Postal Act for any other person to open such an envelope. Please find attached an Application Contact Status that I require your chosen employee to complete.

I am sorry it runs to eight pages, but in order that I know as much about him or her as your bank knows about me, there is no alternative.

Please note that a Notary Public must countersign all copies of his or her medical history, and the mandatory details of his/her financial situation (income, debts, assets and liabilities) must be accompanied by documented proof.

In due course, I will issue your employee with a PIN number that he/she must quote in dealings with me.

I regret that it cannot be shorter than 28 digits but, again, I have modelled it on the number of button presses required of me to access my account balance on your phone bank service. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Let me level the playing field even further. When you call me, press buttons as follows:

1-- To make an appointment to see me.
    2-- To query a missing payment.
    3-- To transfer the call to my living room in case I am there.
    4-- To transfer the call to my bedroom in case I am sleeping.
    5-- To transfer the call to my toilet in case I am attending to nature.
    6-- To transfer the call to my mobile phone if I am not at home.
    7-- To leave a message on my computer (a password to access my computer is required. A password will be communicated to you at a later date to the Authorized Contact.)
    8-- To return to the main menu and to listen to options 1 through 7.
    9-- To make a general complaint or inquiry, the contact will then be put on hold, pending the attention of my automated answering service.

While this may, on occasion, involve a lengthy wait uplifting music will play for the duration of the call.

Regrettably, but again following your example, I must also levy an establishment fee to cove r the setting up of this new arrangement.

May I wish you a happy, if ever so slightly less prosperous, New Year.

Your Humble Client

(Remember: a 98-year-old woman wrote this)