Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cadet Engineering advice

Kinighit

Midshipman
Hi folks, I've submitted an application for Systems Engineering Officer Cadet (ETO) and have been told that the City & Guilds I hold as an Electrician are worthless for using to gain the UCAS points for this position. I've been subsequently recommended applying for Marine Engineering Officer Cadet that requires no UCAS points which is a blow.

Why is there such an emphasis on UCAS points considering they are academic and not vocational orientated?
Is it possible to go sideways?
I'm at a loss as for why my time served equates to nothing bearing in mind I'm applying for a Cadetship.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Random

Lantern Swinger
have been told that the City & Guilds I hold as an Electrician are worthless for using to gain the UCAS points

Do you have the required level 3 NVQ? Or could you top up your C&G qualifications to get your diploma? these would provide UCAS points.

As to why being a trainee SE requires a higher starting academic education than an ME, it's a bit odd, but I suspect if you called one of the College's like South Tyneside they could explain it. My suspicion is that it is not purely a RFA thing.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Is it possible to go sideways?

It has been in the past possible but very hard. The RFA is now requiring new SEs to hold an ETO ticket (hence the cadetship) and making all us existing SEs get one. This means the RFA will not want to pay for you to qualify as an ME and lose that investment by paying for your training and licensing as an ETO.

Jago

Midshipman
I might be wrong, but you may still be able to apply as an SE officer with your current qualifications and experience (I don't think the requirements for employment as a 3O SE have changed yet). I'd contact the careers advice office- you don't ask, you don't get.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C "Joining the RFA as an Engineering Officer Cadet through the HND route" RFA 3
C RFA engineering cadet training Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
N What next? RFA cadet application RFA 1
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
MoD_RSS New award scheme shines spotlight on Cadet Force adult volunteers MoD News 0
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
Simon - Quest Magazine Combined Cadet Forces - School Staff Instructor (SSI) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS Cadet Expansion Programme reaches 500 unit target MoD News 0
J Able Cadet Advancement SCC and URNU 5
A Warfare officer Vs Cadet deck officer RFA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S RFA Deck Officer Cadet - Maths grade? RFA 8
L Deck Officer Cadet RFA 8
Pandaplodder ex-Navy servicewoman stole £60k from a sea cadet charity SCC and URNU 14
MoD_RSS News story: Cadet Forces increase social mobility and help young people’s self-belief, new report finds MoD News 0
D RFA intakes - Cadet Marine Engineer Officer RFA 1
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary announces latest wave of cadet units in schools MoD News 3
MoD_RSS News story: Cadet Forces increase social mobility and help disadvantaged kids reach... MoD News 1
C Joining as Deck Officer Cadet RFA 1
J Deck Officer Cadet entry requirements RFA 5
L Officer cadet accommodation RFA 5
MoD_RSS News story: Thousands of students will benefit from new cadet units backed by £50 million... MoD News 0
Z RFA Cadet Deck Officer or Comms Apprentice RFA 37
TheLegend27 CCF cadet doing SCC courses SCC and URNU 2
northern-matelot Cadet Force Adult Volunteer Commission. SCC and URNU 43
TheLegend27 CCF Cadet New uniform SCC and URNU 11
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary: Helping young people through 25 new school cadet units MoD News 0
AC.C Able Cadet > Leading Cadet > Petty Officer Cadet? SCC and URNU 20
MoD_RSS News story: Cadet pupils on the march as Minister visits Scotland MoD News 0
exJenny When are you joining the RFA? Apprentice or cadet! RFA 174
M RFA deck cadet RFA 18
D Just a bit of clarification with regards system engineer cadet officer recruitment RFA 1
SquidlyDiddly Cadet salary + Accommodation costs RFA 5
T Deck Officer Cadet SIFT RFA 12
MoD_RSS News story: Additional funding for the Cadet Expansion Programme MoD News 1
Simon - Quest Magazine CLOSING DATE MONDAY - School Staff Instructor - Combined Cadet Force - £28,000 - £30,000 – Wimbledon The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
T What Certificates will an RFA Officer cadet achieve after finishing there 3 years of College RFA 3
P RFA deck officer cadet pay whilst training RFA 46
S Deck Officer Cadet - GCSE worries! RFA 9
B medical officer cadet information???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
RFA at HMS Raleigh RFA Cadet Joining Process RFA 8
B RFA Cadet Marine Engineer RFA 19
B Transfer to Deck Cadet after AIB? RFA 8
T Average cadet age? RFA 6
G Life Whilst Studying as an Officer Cadet RFA 21
trelawney126 Pertwee Naval Cadet and Dalek Battler History 3
soleil Hull Daily Mail: "'Resolve' Helps Cadet To Complete Training" RFA 4
TotalAlien Officer cadet in the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
B Officer Cadet Training Facility RFA 8