Cadet Engineering advice

Kinighit

Hi folks, I've submitted an application for Systems Engineering Officer Cadet (ETO) and have been told that the City & Guilds I hold as an Electrician are worthless for using to gain the UCAS points for this position. I've been subsequently recommended applying for Marine Engineering Officer Cadet that requires no UCAS points which is a blow.

Why is there such an emphasis on UCAS points considering they are academic and not vocational orientated?
Is it possible to go sideways?
I'm at a loss as for why my time served equates to nothing bearing in mind I'm applying for a Cadetship.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Random

Lantern Swinger
have been told that the City & Guilds I hold as an Electrician are worthless for using to gain the UCAS points
Do you have the required level 3 NVQ? Or could you top up your C&G qualifications to get your diploma? these would provide UCAS points.

As to why being a trainee SE requires a higher starting academic education than an ME, it's a bit odd, but I suspect if you called one of the College's like South Tyneside they could explain it. My suspicion is that it is not purely a RFA thing.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Is it possible to go sideways?
It has been in the past possible but very hard. The RFA is now requiring new SEs to hold an ETO ticket (hence the cadetship) and making all us existing SEs get one. This means the RFA will not want to pay for you to qualify as an ME and lose that investment by paying for your training and licensing as an ETO.

Jago

Midshipman
I might be wrong, but you may still be able to apply as an SE officer with your current qualifications and experience (I don't think the requirements for employment as a 3O SE have changed yet). I'd contact the careers advice office- you don't ask, you don't get.