Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cadet Deck officer college choices.

Militantmonk

Midshipman
From my sifting through the forum it seems that it'll either be Glasgow or Fleetwood although I've also been told conflicting information regarding other nautical colleges.
I'm joining as deck cadet.

I'm 100% committed to my career choice either way, but it's going to be a bit of a bugger to see the missus a lot if I'm up north.
Is anybody able to finally clear this up?

I'm from Oxfordshire and due to start BRNC in October so it would be nice to let my family know beforehand if I'm going to be miles away for extended periods so we can make proper plans to see each other.

Militantmonk

Midshipman
I'm not too bothered about that with ship time because Ill also be back for extended periods with leave.
It's more about knowing so I can work out the logistics.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Before this I wrote and then deleted a few scathing comments...

When the RFA knows they will let you know :)

Honest answer from a relationship point of view is wherever you are sent, the ones who stay at home have a tougher time of it.

Perhaps going to a northern college actually will be beneficial as the logistics will help introduce you, your family and the Mrs into the strains of your new career. Think of it as another hard cadet lesson to be learnt over the next few years.

Making it work is tough, but doable (most of us manage it).

Militantmonk

Midshipman
You may well be right about that tbh. If we can make it through the next three years I'm sure it'll strengthen our relationship immeasurably.
If not then it is what it is I guess.

Im not certainly naive enough to think it's going to be a walk in the park. I'm mainly seeking clarity as I have been told different things by the RN at AIB and the RFA haven't been that forthcoming with information. It's more for the Mrs piece of mind than mine so she at least knows what is happening.

Whatever the outcome I'll be cracking on, you don't get anywhere in life without making sacrifices.

Cheers for the honest reply.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Im not certainly naive enough to think it's going to be a walk in the park. I'm mainly seeking clarity as I have been told different things by the RN at AIB and the RFA haven't been that forthcoming with information. It's more for the Mrs piece of mind than mine so she at least knows what is happening.

The RN at best have an arm chair spectators knowledge of the RFA (they are outside looking in), its training and what life is like for us (I would take what they say with a pinch of salt unless they have personal experience). The lack of information from the RFA is normal, you will get told things when you need to know them, not when you want to know them, anything extra is up to you puzzle out (via here, by reading up, or just plain emailing the office).

Essentially the RFA does not do spoon feeding, hand holding and will treat you like an adult and believe you can cope unless you tell them otherwise.

There is a an RFA WAGs group on facebook, its there for them at home to share knowledge and compare notes on us at sea. I would suggest your Mrs joins it when you head off to College as they will be able to give a bit of support while you are away. NB As a word of warning the old and bold on there are just as sarcastic/tolerant with certain repetitive questions as we are here.

Last edited:

Militantmonk

Midshipman
Cheers for that link, I'll be happy she can use that for a bit of extra support while I'm away.

I'm sure she will manage the sarcasm, she has to live with me after all.

RFA at HMS Raleigh

Lantern Swinger
You may well be right about that tbh. If we can make it through the next three years I'm sure it'll strengthen our relationship immeasurably.
If not then it is what it is I guess.

Whatever the outcome I'll be cracking on, you don't get anywhere in life without making sacrifices.

Cheers for the honest reply.

I understand that either Fleetwood and Glasgow are the chosen colleges atm.

Which one will be dependant on intake numbers that are not done by the RFA but by the colleges, so until the RFA know exact numbers of successful deck cadets going through process and if there are spaces on the courses (bear in mind everything changed with Covid hitting).

Essentially whether it is Fleetwood or Glasgow both are a long way from Oxfordshire, and you may be able to find cheap flights to Glasgow.

BRNC is a good starting point to see how you get on. I had a few leave the course because their partner gave them an ultimatum as could not stand them being away, so make sure you have had that chat properly.

I know 7 years ago cadets were only given the nautical colleges in the last couple of weeks at BRNC.

You may find someone from a more ecent group has more up to date info on that.

Regards
A

Militantmonk

Midshipman
Yeah Glasgow would be certainly be preferable.

And yes we've had the chat and luckily she agrees that this is something I need to do for myself and that we'll try to make the best of it.

Thanks for the in depth reply.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
A Warfare officer Vs Cadet deck officer RFA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S RFA Deck Officer Cadet - Maths grade? RFA 8
L Deck Officer Cadet RFA 8
C Joining as Deck Officer Cadet RFA 1
J Deck Officer Cadet entry requirements RFA 5
Z RFA Cadet Deck Officer or Comms Apprentice RFA 37
T Deck Officer Cadet SIFT RFA 12
P RFA deck officer cadet pay whilst training RFA 46
S Deck Officer Cadet - GCSE worries! RFA 9
M RFA deck cadet RFA 18
B Transfer to Deck Cadet after AIB? RFA 8
MoD_RSS New award scheme shines spotlight on Cadet Force adult volunteers MoD News 0
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
Simon - Quest Magazine Combined Cadet Forces - School Staff Instructor (SSI) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS Cadet Expansion Programme reaches 500 unit target MoD News 0
K Cadet Engineering advice RFA 4
J Able Cadet Advancement SCC and URNU 5
Pandaplodder ex-Navy servicewoman stole £60k from a sea cadet charity SCC and URNU 14
MoD_RSS News story: Cadet Forces increase social mobility and help young people’s self-belief, new report finds MoD News 0
D RFA intakes - Cadet Marine Engineer Officer RFA 1
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary announces latest wave of cadet units in schools MoD News 3
MoD_RSS News story: Cadet Forces increase social mobility and help disadvantaged kids reach... MoD News 1
L Officer cadet accommodation RFA 5
MoD_RSS News story: Thousands of students will benefit from new cadet units backed by £50 million... MoD News 0
TheLegend27 CCF cadet doing SCC courses SCC and URNU 2
northern-matelot Cadet Force Adult Volunteer Commission. SCC and URNU 43
TheLegend27 CCF Cadet New uniform SCC and URNU 11
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary: Helping young people through 25 new school cadet units MoD News 0
AC.C Able Cadet > Leading Cadet > Petty Officer Cadet? SCC and URNU 20
MoD_RSS News story: Cadet pupils on the march as Minister visits Scotland MoD News 0
exJenny When are you joining the RFA? Apprentice or cadet! RFA 174
D Just a bit of clarification with regards system engineer cadet officer recruitment RFA 1
SquidlyDiddly Cadet salary + Accommodation costs RFA 5
MoD_RSS News story: Additional funding for the Cadet Expansion Programme MoD News 1
Simon - Quest Magazine CLOSING DATE MONDAY - School Staff Instructor - Combined Cadet Force - £28,000 - £30,000 – Wimbledon The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
T What Certificates will an RFA Officer cadet achieve after finishing there 3 years of College RFA 3
B medical officer cadet information???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
RFA at HMS Raleigh RFA Cadet Joining Process RFA 8
B RFA Cadet Marine Engineer RFA 19
T Average cadet age? RFA 6
G Life Whilst Studying as an Officer Cadet RFA 21
trelawney126 Pertwee Naval Cadet and Dalek Battler History 3
soleil Hull Daily Mail: "'Resolve' Helps Cadet To Complete Training" RFA 4
TotalAlien Officer cadet in the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
B Officer Cadet Training Facility RFA 8
D Officer Cadet (ETO) RFA 3
C "Joining the RFA as an Engineering Officer Cadet through the HND route" RFA 3
soleil Navy News: "WANTED – An Enthusiastic Leader For A Thriving London Sea Cadet Unit" SCC and URNU 1
B AFCO have sent me RFA officer cadet letter? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20