Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by F169, Apr 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I find it gobsmacking that a naval site which wants to be taken seriously employs a moderator who doesn't even know that in the Royal Navy personnel serve 'in' a ship, not 'on' one.

I refer, of course to the masterpiece below, taken from the closed thread on the release of the 15:

"Celebrate when they are back on Cornwall and there is an MoD release"

I also note (with more than an element of disappointment) that CA, this most prestigious forum of RR, appears to have lost its relatively recent additional moderator.
  2. I call for moderation in the complaints about the moderation of this forum by our moderators. Immoderate comments could result in the moderator moderating these posts in a less than moderate manner as would befit a moderator. :wink:
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"not me Chief, I'm radar..."
  4. I wish to say that I spoke to SF last night and he seems quite normal - for a bloke and mod that is.
  5. Hmm, i've been in for over 18 years, and never said "in", always "on".
    I was ON Cornwall a couple of years ago.
    I'm ON another ship now.
    I was ON the Herald in the first Gulf War.

Get the idea?
    Maybe its you, maybe its just preference, but either there is no right or wrong way to say it, or its YOU thats in the wrong, shipmate :) .I've never heard of "Big Eats Back INboard"!! ;)
  6. The main complaint about particularly the moderation on CA is the lack of feed back from the moderators. I accept that at times there can be good reason for pulling posts or even whoe threads, but and it is a big but, the moderators need to tell us why. One thread dissapeared in front of my eyes yesterday with no explanation, then another one. How the h*ll can we ordinary mortals learn how to be responsible members of the site if we don't know what is and is not acceptable. At this point don't just refer to the rules, I saw nothing yesterday that did not comply with the rules and was not stuff that was in plain language in many other places.

Most of us are adults, most of us are responsible, treat us that way and we wil do most of the policing ourselves, treat us like 5 year olds and there are some of us quite capabale of getting down to the level of 2 year olds.

Mderation has I repeat has to be seen to be based on reason, and right now it is not seen to be done that way.This should not be a battle between moderators and members but it is rapidly going that way mainly because of the way some moderators treat the members.
  7. Mucho impressive.... :D
  8. I've just been sad enough to look in the Chambers Dictionary at the definition of the words moderate and moderator - nowhere does it mention playing god, doing as one wants without reason or justification or not being open and honest with people.

I'm not sure this thread should be on CA though - people have been complaining about CA mods for so bloody long it's no longer current (news).
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

why do we we expect a response from the moderator...aint gonna happen, it's beneath him
  10. I must admit the total lack of respect we get from some moderators is very frustrating and of course the end result is a very distinct fall in respct from the members to the moderators, and this of course tends to rub of one some who behave properly.
  11. Aah Lamri, aint ignorance bliss? :wink:
  12. I would know, is it ? ;)
  13. We shouldn't tar them all with the same brush. Deeps and Silver fox are good mods but Part Time Pongo is a tad gung ho with the pause button to say the least, thus he often fails to meet the OED definition of "moderate" viz., "avoiding extremes" :)
  14. I am sure I was always on a ship

I was on the Manchester in 1991
    On the Herald in 82

I think was IN barracks in 1970's,
    IN HMS Mercury in 1980

but then again I was at Dryad in 87

Interesting this.

I do know I never served on Delta Nine Five or Delta Nine Sixe but I remember serving on both the Manchester and Gloucester.

Then again maybe he meant "in Cornwall" as in "back home in the county next to Devon", but, they aren't all Janners.

Regards :wink: :roll: :roll: :wink:
  16. That's quite moderate for you too Higgy
  17. Says who?

I Served and LivedOn them

Does it matter REALLY?
  18. Ahh but THATS fiction ;)
  19. silverfox

Ask your CO - he'll tell you. Its a common misconception.
  20. silverfox

but you do serve 'on' a Squadron.... crazy navy, crazy guys....