Byeeeeeeeeeeee!

Today I made the decision to leave the Fleet Air Arm after 20 years and join the Submarine Service as a MESM Officer. I never, ever thought I'd be saying those words but hey, it's a crazy life and you've just got to roll with the punches. So goodbye everybody :cry:

I've loved every friggin' minute of it, and will look back on my time as a WAFU with fond memories of great times, great people and great detachments from California to Perth and everywhere in between.

I look forward to meeting a whole new bunch of people and beginning a second life as a Submariner, and I hope that a WAFU can be accepted into the "brotherhood" with the minimum of nause. Reckon I'll be the only Nuclear Watchkeeper with 16 years on Harrier, 4 years on Merlin and full Fleet Air Arm Association membership!

Says something when you'd rather be a Bubblehead than a Crab, eh?

All ready have an ex WAFU on boats,LTCDR with a double barrelled name who shots for the RN at SAA meetings served with him and he always used to thro in a question about helo rotor heads and stress fractures,nothing to do with boats just general engineering question he said,glad he did not do my unit ticket!!

After 22 years in the FAA I left the RN and joined BAe as a field engineer.
I don't know who was more suprised me or the submariners when one of my first jobs was installing SINs on Torbay. It was under the supervision of a very senior field engineer I must add. :p
However during my time as a civie working on boats I can honestly say that submariners were some of the best guys I ever met or worked with. They are all crazy, but so what :p

Is there really that much difference? You'll simply move from flying biplanes on hot air currents to gliding the fore and aft planes on a boat to enable you to ride above or below the cold water currents. In both cases you're experience of handling currents will serve you well. ;)

Looks like you'll need to change your signature to:

Royal Navy by choice, Fleet Air Arm by the Grace of God, Submarine Service by Rational Intervention!