Buzzing.......

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by brucey21, Jul 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The process is nearly complete, I have completed my written tests, passed my interview, passed my medical examination and last Thursday i ran 9.58 for the run.

I am so happy that i have managed to complete all the stages of the selection process, when the AFCO utterd the words "Ok, i will put your application in today" i felt so much relief and excitement.

He said that i should beable to get a date in early jan!!! :thumright:

I have got a couple of questions if anyone can help me as the time is now moving closer.

I know this question has been asked on here before but how much time are you actually away from home in the first year for example. I am not complaining or moaning i just need some information to give family and friends. What i am trying to get at is in the first 9 weeks down south, are you there for the full 9 weeks or is there oportunity to come home??

My next question, what are the rules regarding mobile phones because if we cannot come home i would like to beable to keep in touch with people every couple of days if i can. If that is not possible then tough luck, i am fully committed and my mobile will be left at home!! :thanks:

Sorry for the lengthy post, all replies much appreciated as usual

cheers :thumright:

2. hi mate I am off to Raleigh in october it depends on what time of the year you go into Raleigh because of hoildays ie. Christmas summer Easter etc when I go in I will be doing the nine weeks in full which I would prefer. Getting it all out of the way in one go. During that 9 weeks I think your aloud few hours shore leave during Raleigh at some point. As to mobile phones you can take them with you but they are not to be on and used during working hours. In your freetime you should be able to use it. Well done in passing selection when you look back at it it's not too bad.

3. First off would like to say well done in passing everything. If you join Raleigh in early january then you will do the whole 9 weeks straight, this is due to Easter holidays being at the end of march which is when the Navy breaks up.

You can take your mobile phone with you but can only use it after working hours. You'll have a pre-entry brief before you go so the staff at AFCO will give you all info to satisfy your needs.

All you can do for now is wait and keep your fitness up, learn how to iron if you can aswell.

Good Luck.

4. hi mate I am off to Raleigh in october it depends on what time of the year you go into Raleigh because of hoildays ie. Christmas summer Easter etc when I go in I will be doing the nine weeks in full which I would prefer. Getting it all out of the way in one go. During that 9 weeks I think your aloud few hours shore leave during Raleigh at some point. As to mobile phones you can take them with you but they are not to be on and used during working hours. In your freetime you should be able to use it. Well done in passing selection when you look back at it it's not too bad.

5. You have to wait nearly 5 months for entry? Why so long? Is this pretty common with the Armed forces? A big waiting list?

6. sorry for posting again not sure how that happened. Waiting times vary on which trade you want to do.

7. Just to reiterate, During your 9 weeks at Raleigh you will only get annual leave (2 weeks at Easter, 3 in the summer and 2 at XMAS). You might get the odd evening/half a day to pop into Plymouth during your 9 weeks.

After Raleigh, whilst in your phase 2 training, you will get most evenings and weekends off, so you will be able to pop home at the weekends.

Mobile phones - Yes you can take them, you will be given specific times that they can be used each day. You will also get access to an internet Cafe, so you will be able to keep in touch by E-mail as well.

Re-entry dates - it depends on the particular branch chosen, some you will get in within approx 3 months and others you could be waiting anything from 6 months to 2 years in some cases.

As also said, don't worry to much about Raleigh as you will get a comprehensive briefing from the AFCO staff before you go.

The link for the HMS Raleigh webpage

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server.php?show=nav.3390

Hope this helps

Neil - Supermario

:nemo:

8. Once your out of raleigh you get pretty much every weekend off, depending on how much money you have, every week. I like to leave it though it makes going home better.

9. sorry thats in phase two of training, not the fleet.

11. 2weeks of Raleigh then 4weeks summer leave.... bliss! :D x

12. just dot go back with a beer-belly, and lost fitness ;)

13. How do your holidays in the RN work? On the website it says you get 30 days paid leave plus bank holidays which is pretty straight forward, but then stuff like summer and Christmas leave gets thrown in, and what you have quoted almost totals more than your entire year's worth of days off. I will be asking this question of my ACLO when I go for interview on Thursday, but does anyone know in between times?

14. Hi Pete,

It's as I said the basic leave package is 30 days plus public holidays. Whilst in training you are told when you can have leave which roughly works out to 2 weeks for easter, 3 for the summer and 2 for Xmas. Yes Raleigh this year have granted 4 weeks leave (they finished on the 1st August and re-start training 1st September).

When you've finished training you apply for your leave on JPA and there will be a running total of how many days you have left you use during your leave year ( 1st April - 31 March).

You can get extra types of leave whilst in service depending on what you are doing ie Sea Leave, deployment leave etc.

Hope this helps out

SM

:nemo:

15. Yeah it makes a bit more sense now, but I suppose as per everything else with the RN, it depends on branch, deployments etc.

16. I have a mate that went into the RN as ET-AE earlier this year and he has now got a month off. I have not had chance to speak to him properly yet but this must be the 4 weeks that Super Mario is refering to!!!

17. Brucey babe, with maths like that, why don`t you join?

18. It did take me a good few minutes but i worked it out in the end :thumright:

I have been accepted mate to join as ET-ME!!!
    Just waiting for a date now and really looking forward to it!!!

19. Orite mate i passed for ET ME late febuary this year an im goin to ralleigh on the 28th of September been a long wate but worth it an needed the time to train anyway, ya lookin at about a 8 month wate but it will be worth it so good luck when ya get there might see ya one day.

20. Anyone no how it works with laptops and internet connection on baord is it allowd or not and if yes when can ya use it, thanx