Buzz - 'R' on uniform to go

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Shakey, Mar 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have just heard that the Queen in Council yesterday has agreed to abolish the R on the uniform. Expect to hear something in the next few days.

Or it could be another gash buzz.

2. Are you going to be just Naval Reserve then?

2BM

3. Touche!

Good skills there shippers.

4. I'm curious as to what, if anything, is likely to replace it? ... and suspicious that this is another ploy to make it more difficult to recognise that there are more and more reservists necessarily holding down full time posts that the service is unable to fill due to manning problems. Maybe

I'm just too pessimistic.

SF

5. Quality!! However, what difference is it going to make? Are we going to get embroiled in yet more should we shouldn't we? Will their be an 'R' dividend?

We must, must we, know?

6. Nothing will replace it.

Some admiral type explained it to us recently thus:

Imagine the Navy as like a motorway with several lanes. The biggest lane, the outside lane, is the regular service. The next lane would be the reserves, with other slower lanes for people on sabbaticals, career breaks, fleet reserve etc.

The idea is to make it easier for individuals to increase or reduce their committment to the service as required. (ie. by changing lanes.)

Therefore, it will be easier to utilise reservists to fill regular billets, and for regulars to drop in to the reserve if they wanted to go to university for example.

7. Thanks for the clarification Shakey. It sounds fine in theory bt I wonder if those moving from fast to slow lanes will far outnumber those moving in the opposite direction.

I wonder how it will affect pension entitlements.

SF

8. Pensioners will be confined to the hard shoulder!

2BM

9. Ah, yes, the numbers game! BZ SF. I too suspect that RN manning figures will suddenly improve...

10. Told you it would happen...was striped up with the "R" a few weeks ago. All my fault! Sigh....the Jonah. :)

11. Presumably there will be a grandfather clause to allow people with the R still on their rig to keep it for a while, to save on tailoring charges?

12. Well, it can't have done, because there wasn't a Privy Council meeting yesterday. There is one today, but I'm not holding my breath.

13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Yes, if the regulars just become Navy :)

14. ok who's displeased her maj then? plus we'd never hear the end of it from the pongoes and the crabs :shock: :shock:

15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

"Off with their Rs" has got quite a ring to it, don't you think? :)

16. and do we drive on the left or the right???

17. We had visit from Admiral Reserves last night who adv that the RNR flashes are to be replaced with RN flashes as of NOW. Stores to be told to order in a supply - and the R will disappear from the curls immediately.

18. AHA, the new communication strategy from the head shed :idea:
    Visit one unit, tell them a gen buzz & then allow RumratioN to be the communication medium.
    Still, saves on someone having to staff an RNRTM I suppose. :grin:

19. MC - can you confirm this?

20. MC - can you confirm this?