Buying No. 1s and Mess Dress

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by AnnaBanana, Oct 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just about to get my grant for buying my No. 1s and mess kit, but i've heard rumours about various places where you can get these for less than full cost?

If anyone knows any details please can you let me know.

Thank you.
  2. Speak to Russ at the BRNC stores
  3. Don't forget to check the magic of eBay. You don't even have to take it to Gieves now to have the 'R' put in.
  4. I keep my eye on ebay, but it's quite hard to get hold of female uniforms on there.

One of my oppos mentioned something about "tin trousers"?
  5. If I recall, Tin Trousers is the name given to Russ' endeavour at BRNC to flog old kit (although it may well be someone else's second hand kit emporium somewhere else). I've got no contact details, I'm afraid.
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Check the online classifieds in the Navy intranet; NBC Portsmouth and Devonport regularly advertise pussers' kit. Failing that, check out 'Baun & Co.' naval outfitters in Portsmouth:

14, Queen St, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 3HL Tel: 023 9282 2045
  7. How do I get into the navy intranet (I'm guessing I can't do it from home?)
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

AB: Erm no. Mod site only... I take it you haven't got access at the moment? Perhaps someone you know with access can have a look for you (not this callsign at the moment, I'm afraid!)

Good luck

9. Perhaps thinking about someone else, but I thought you were of to Dartmouth in the January entry?

Anyway, the Tin Trouser store used to be a used kit exchange in the Nelson Wardroom, not sure if it's still running.

As SgtPB has suggested Baun gets a pretty good reputation.
  10. Same AnnaBanana, at the moment i'm in the reserves and need my no 1's and mess dress for some events i have before i go to dartmouth, if it weren't for the events i wouldn't be buying the uniform as i know it will be issued at brnc.
  11. tin trousers available at HMS Nelson Wardroom I believe. One day a week. Unfortunately I have no idea which day.
  12. Tin Trousers is still running, last I heard opening hours were 1100-1300 Tuesdays and Thursdays, but you can call the wardroom to check.
  13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

seems like it might be an idea for a RR buy&sell area, I have my RNR 1/5's sitting around and a couple of RN No1's as I bought new one's a while back......
  14. Fantastic idea.
  15. AnnaBanana

Russ down at BRNC is always a good bet for getting hold of kit cheap.

PM me if you want his number.

Tin Trousers is still going down at Nelson Wardroom when I was down there earlier this year.

16. Hi AnnaBanana
    i've just 'retired' and have nos 1 skirt and jacket s/lt to sell, size 14/16 bought from bauns(best value for something you don't wear that often)
    Being dined out in Jan 08 (burns night) so mess kit same size available after that. £350 for whole lot if willing to wait for mess kit(and obviously right size) :whew:

anyone interested it's [email protected]
  17. Could anyone send me this number by PM?