Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by popeye123, Dec 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Merry Christmas to all,
    I have a quick question, I need to replace my no1s as we call them here in Ireland, with Sterling so weak at the moment I was thinking of getting one from Gieves. Are they really worth the money, any advice welcome.
  2. Firstly, I wouldn't recommend Thieves & Hawkes.

I know several people who have used these in Leeds & Portsmouth (below) and they do provide top quality uniforms at extremely good value compared to G&H
  3. Thanks for the reply I have e mailed them for further info
  4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Gary is good but he's not cheap either! That said you want your kit to last so paying upfront isn't a bad idea. I got the first contract 5's from BRNC and ended up buying a decent 2nd hand set 5 years later after my issued set disintigrated.

I'm on mess kit number 4!!
  5. I don't mind paying for quality as it gererally lasts, will contact Gary in the new year,
  6. Also got some kit from Gary - well recommended.
  7. When it comes to making the decision you have to ask how long you'll need it for and how often you will realistically wear it. If it's a daily rig for you then quality will probably work out to be worth the expense. On the other hand if you're only likely to wear it once in a while (like the vast majority of us) then don't waste your cash.

It annoys me that we have to pay for it ourselves. Personally I'd rather have the one for one system than the tax relief. Looking around me I note that some of our officer brethern are looking a bit scruffy because they won't part with the cash to replace tired kit.

8. Concur, I was recently embarrassed by the state of a Lt walking past me and my army SNCOs in Drake. I blamed his appearance on him being a submariner!!!

I've not yet managed to work out how much the tax relief is actually worth in cash - anyone know? Fortunately, all my kit was brand new courtesy of one for one prior to starting BRNC!

For the original poster - Turner Virr currently have the contract to supply RN No1s, the quality is pretty good. Watch the buttons though, they have a habit of falling off just before you are due to march on to divisions!!! Bad batch apparantley!!!
  9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

"I think" around £96 per annum, maybe slightly more, but not that much. I'll check my pay statement I think its on there as a tax amend???
  10. Accross here we get uniform allowance so it isn't that much of a pain, last uniform lasted 15 years,another 15 should see me out. Tailors in Cork quiet good, just though that with sterling so low it might be an idea to dress in the sartorial elegance of the RN :thumright: