Buying Naval Art

Discussion in 'History' started by SJRM_RN, Oct 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have just come in to a little bit of money and was thinking of buying some Naval Art (and no, I don't care how sad that may seem :D ).

I have had a look on t'interweb and there are a few sites that sell prints etc. Have any RR'ers had experience in buying Naval art from the web, if so any recommended websites?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I was thinking more along the lines of the days of sail etc rather than WWI/WWII pictures.
  2. StixJim

This is probably not what you had in mind, but I thought I would say that Christie's now considers itself to be the leader in sales of Maritime Art. Not only does it include pictures from this genre in its various sales throughout the year, it also holds two dedicated Maritime Art Auctions per year and the next one is scheduled for November 24th 2010.

I have done a quick search using the keyword "maritime" on the Christie's website for you:
  3. I bought a couple of porcelain figurines a couple or three years ago. One is of a none specific admiral in the dress of early 1800's with the hat athwart ships, as opposed to the fore and aft post Nelson. The other is a seaman in the dress of a dedicated boats crew (dressed by the captain) in more or less what is considered the first actual uniform.
    They cost around the £150 each mark and are reckoned to be worth about £200 now.
    That aside they are really easy on the eye, and feature in pride of place in the dining room corner display. Art and investment. :wink:
    I bought them at an auction room in Birmingham, and a lot of decent pieces can be picked up at bargain prices during these hard times.
  4. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I have this one (a print) above my fireplace bought it and had it framed in an art shop in Edinburgh.

Would recomend buying in a shop as you will get a better idea of how it will look "in the flesh"
  5. I remember my Grandfather used to collect maritime aviation stuff and used to get small prints and also the occasional canvas from airshows etc. He gave up a few years back when his pension wasnt what it should have been and work meant he hadnt the time for collecting but Im sure some smaller art stores and retail galleries might have reasonable prices specially in cities/towns with a maritime past

They do a huge variety of prints from all eras of history
  6. I'll sell you my wank sock it's an art piece
  7. Stands up on its own too I imagine :p
  8. Talking of prints, I too purchased a print the classic painting "The Gallant Speedy.
    I bought it in the art shop in Falmouth high street, and they sell some very nice Naval theme prints at very reasonable prices, might be worth a visit if in that neck of the woods. Send Tommo on commission. :D
  9. I'd planned to nick the one of the Battle of Trafalgar, half way up the stairs in St Vincent Block at Raleigh, but couldn't get it under my jacket.
  10. 'Tinternet can be difficult, regarding fraud, always worth a look though. It also tends to be costly.
    Auction houses are a good route and 'sleepers' are around.

If you are not in a rush to get rid of your dosh, spend some time researching, which will uncover stuff that really 'Floats Your Boat'

Get around some auctions and observe the way they are conducted before entering the fray. Give me a shout if you wish