Buying Life Insurance before joining...

Oasis22

Hi Everyone,

I am considering purchasing life insurance, I am 19 at present and awaiting an entry date for Naval Service.

If anyone could assist me in this - is it be worth purchasing life insurance now as a civillian, knowing I would later be declaring a change of occupation to military, therefore increasing the premiums? Would it be worth me securing a policy now or waiting until I am confirmed in the Royal Navy before purchasing military life insurance?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I'm no expert, but I reckon you'd have to tell them anyway, as your policy maybe void if you did need it.

I maybe wrong, but this what I have to do with my policies, notifying of any changes.

Waspie

War Hero
Firstly, go see an independent financial advisor, your bank or building society should offer the consultation free. In fact not just one but a few so you can see what is being offered. Discuss your situation, go in heavy on the joining the services bit. There used to be a 'loading' applied to some service occupations. (I know mine was), by some 114%), albeit 75% returned from the military.
It's not straight forward or cut and dry. To be honest, I would wait until you join then look at it again. These days, in my personal experience as a policy holder and as an ex, (long time ago), financial advisor in a high street bank. Ins Companies will look for any discrepancy to cancel a policy. Not telling you until claim time!!
It's a mine field. Good luck.

Waspie

War Hero
As an aside. Two occupation that were very high risk. POA if humans were cars!!!
JCB operators and Pub Landlords!!!!
Funny how stupid facts stay dormant!!!!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
As an aside. Two occupation that were very high risk. POA if humans were cars!!!
JCB operators and Pub Landlords!!!!
Funny how stupid facts stay dormant!!!!
Ha. My liability insurance for running a roofing business is bad enough!
Especially if someone decides to set fire to a roof...... again.

Oasis22

Thank you everyone for your prompt & informative replies. They are very helpful to me. I will take the advice at looking for insurance once I have joined. Thank you for your help!

Waspie

War Hero
Thank you everyone for your prompt & informative replies. They are very helpful to me. I will take the advice at looking for insurance once I have joined. Thank you for your help!
If Life INs. is your thing. After you join and are established in your trade. Visit your pay office or whatever they are called these days and ask for advice from them. They may use a trusted private financial institution - who knows these days!!

Oasis22

If Life INs. is your thing. After you join and are established in your trade. Visit your pay office or whatever they are called these days and ask for advice from them. They may use a trusted private financial institution - who knows these days!!
Good idea. Thanks for the tip! Will do.

buffersduffer

Lantern Swinger
Unless you’ve got dependants do you really need it at 19 ?

If I was 19 again and wanted to make my wages work for me I’d of gotten on the property ladder sooner, better return long term for those in my will etc

And you’d have to scrutinise the fine print on any insurance, would it cover you dying due to an act of terrorism or falling overboard during a RAS ?

RabC

MIA
Unless you’ve got dependants do you really need it at 19 ?

If I was 19 again and wanted to make my wages work for me I’d of gotten on the property ladder sooner, better return long term for those in my will etc

And you’d have to scrutinise the fine print on any insurance, would it cover you dying due to an act of terrorism or falling overboard during a RAS ?
However the earlier you buy it the cheaper it is, I wish I’d bought it earlier.

dart16

Midshipman
Towards the end of your basic training you will get a sales pitch from pax insurance. You can sign up to a life insurance policy which is tailored to navy if you feel it's what you want/need.

Stirlin

War Hero
My second wife was 2nd I/C at pensions admin which is now Aviva , my pension at two thirds of final salary ONLY having 20 working yrs at UNi of YORK was far better than hers and provides me with a very comfortable life along with OAP , pissed her off big time.

Stirlin

War Hero
Saw ex wife in town the other day though she did not see me as I was at periscope depth , she is 2 yrs younger than me but she tints her hair and it is SO obvious she is trying to hide her age even topping off the false barnet with.......wait for it......a Paddington Hat ??? . Laff , I pissed myself which is par for the course as a PSOF.

SheffGruff

Badgeman
I already had a mortgage and life insurance before joining up.

Went via a broker, I was honest about my occupation at the time, got a premium loading for drinking more than the NHS booze guidelines and from then on paid a flat rate for a policy that roughly tracks my mortgage balance.

From then on there's no need to tell them of changes of employment (I checked when I joined the RN) and there were no war exclusions etc.

Basically if you take out a policy before joining, it looks like you can dodge the premium loading applied for risky careers. Forces specific policies are well tailored to the job but you pay them a lot extra for it - I was not impressed when comparing price of kit insurance to contents insurance given that the risks are broadly comparable.

All that said, you're 19. Why do you need life insurance and will the AFPS death in service scheme be enough?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
slim House Purchase something new to be aware of when buying a House Current Affairs 0
J Buying and moving into a house during phase 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D Buying a house or married quarters? Finance & Pensions 3
soleil Radio 4: "Buying Defence" Current Affairs 0
R Buying of AFPS 75 Pension Current Affairs 6
P UK Considers buying Boeing P8 to replace Nimrod Current Affairs 12
digger84 Buying a car whilst posted outside the UK. Motoring 4
Topstop The Ozzies are buying? The Fleet 11
soleil Buying Christmas Cards ............ The Quarterdeck 30
S Buying Naval Art History 9
F Free Forces Home-Buying Guide Finance & Pensions 5
Joint_Force_Harrier Buying and Selling houses Finance & Pensions 29
F Buying a house in the mob Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
popeye123 BUYING NEW UNIFORM Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
G Help me with buying tax free car the first time Motoring 3
GashHand Buying a new bike. Motoring 20
U New Carrier's - Are we buying the Wrong Kit ? Current Affairs 36
N Buying my officer's No 1 uniform Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 21
BillyNoMates India buying 6 new Scorpene SM's + 2 Akulas? Submariners 4
w.anchor Buying a house Diamond Lil's 12
theoldti Buying in skimmers Submariners 20
A Buying No. 1s and Mess Dress Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
R Legal age for buying tobacco will rise to 18 Current Affairs 16
janner Buying a horse The Gash Barge 4
S buying a house in the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
A Anyone fancy buying a bit of Ganges history? Bases / Shore Est 2
D Anyone interested in buying a Laser dinghy? The Quarterdeck 4
Dredd Light of life Blue Jokes 0
MoD_RSS UK scientists help NASA answers the questions, 'was there life on Mars?' MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Do you need to leave your home area to achieve a better life? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backed projects to speed up life-saving cancer diagnoses MoD News 0
G Life on aircraft carriers and suitability assessment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C Life on a submarine? Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Life cover for frontline health workers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Committee on Standards in Public Life announces review of electoral regulation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £22 million awarded to life-saving health charities during virus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DFID support for partners to deliver life-saving programmes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA approves new life-saving breathing aid to help keep coronavirus (COVID-19) patients out of intensive care MoD News 0
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
MoD_RSS Life on marsh in A585 bypass exhibition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adding years to life and life to years: our plan to increase healthy longevity MoD News 0
R Pilot shore life, sea life and family life Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Intimidation in Public Life: letters from Twitter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Intimidation in Public Life: letters from Facebook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Intimidation in Public Life: letters from Google MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding scheme supports purchase of life-saving safety equipment for fishermen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving complacency: 74% of drivers would risk life in flood water MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Kingdom Life Ministries inquiry: Charity trustees disqualified after unauthorised payments of over £450k and cash withdrawals of over £700k MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS Intimidation in Public Life: Letter to political parties on election pledge MoD News 0