buttons aren't toys?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by ship_rat, Feb 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. i'm going in as an AET i have my provisional dates, but parents have always said "buttons arn't toys!" just wondering am i going to get to press alot of buttons or just fixing things, i don't mind either, i'm just looking forward to joining.
    ship_rat :grin:

2. just what ever you do do NOT touch anything marked black and yellow

3. hi
    I'll remember that, thanx
    ship_rat

4. If you are going to work on aircraft fitted with ejection seats then pay particular attention to ALL safety lectures.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

:wink:
    Especially the Helicopter ones :wink: :wink:

6. LOL , :wink:

7. Flick the button [bean] , mmmmmmmmm :wink:

8. The buttons on my TV remote baffle me, but would like to play with all those buttons on an aircraft!! :grin: :grin:

9. When i was at Nelson there was a AEM who was telling me a dit about another AEM at yeovilton doing work on Harrier ejector seat and it went off as he was working on him, cut him in 2. Did this happen? Pay attention to safety lectures.

10. there are many dits concerning bang seat, personally I dont believe the half of them. I have been in aviation since 79 and I only know of 2 seats going off. One at Boscombe Down in the hangar and one at Yeovil airdays in a Harrier

edited to correct me carp spelling

11. i suppose so, its the same as the submariners and the escape tower. Have you heard that one?

12. From my days in the FAA the only people who used to get hurt by bang seats were armourers.
    The ejector seat bus which travelled to all air stations to give refresher lectures had an ejector seat drogue. The drogue is a parachute which is attached to the seat and automatically fires on ejection. The parachute is there to stabilise the seat. Attached to the parachute line is a cylinder made of metal, this is fired out by a cartridge and deploys the chute. The particular drogue and line had passed through an armourers head, amazingly the armourer lived to tell the tale. I'm sure that Higs, and other Wafus of my era will remember this.

13. Yes Slim, I believe it was the drougue pin, one of the 3 places where safety pins were fitted .

14. I've been out over 21 years and still remember the complete sequence of ejection for seats, including those fitted with rocket packs and also the Buccaneer that had the underwater seat release mechanism (didn't last long). In my day everyone in the FAA had to know this and it was drummed into you. Bet you remember the crash crew carrying a large pin for the rescuer to insert while recovering the aircrew.

15. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Although not of your era slim, I was told about this on my first seat lecture on 899 when I joined in 1983, I believe it had only occured a few years before.

Someone might want to ask the moderator of this forum how dangerous ejection seats can be, he is a lucky man! :lol:

16. As I said it was almost always armourers who got hurt by ejection seats. About 1969 on 764 a hunter squadron the day before leave. It was normal in those days for all the seats to be removed and serviced by the seat shop over the leave period.
    The armourers had the seat removal down to a fine art, one team would go around making the seat safe another would follow them and lift the seat from the aircraft.
    As a pinkie I had it easy and was in the radio workshops supping my forth cup of coffee (2 sugars condensed milk, NATO standard) when I heard a loud bang. Rushed into the hanger to see a drogue line hanging outside the aircraft and a very white NAM(O) stood on the fuselage behind the cockpit. The first team had forgotten to disconnect the static line from the drogue to the aircraft floor. Lifting the seat initiated the drogue. Nobody hurt but a couple of rates were lost that day.

17. Now you've done it you nugget!He will be drawn to them like a moth to Light!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

18. Yes Slim Safety pins in bang seats were obviously carried . Part of any Rescue One's equipment , for those who didn't know --Rescue One being the landrover with its 3 man crew --backed up by Crash One (The Nubian with its 2 man crew).