Bursar Depression

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by AwesPos93, Nov 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently an RN bursar who will be joining up as a Warfare Officer after having finished university. Over the couple of months I have been suffering from depression and am now seeing an HNS therapist. We are supposed to report medical issues to the PMO at Dartmouth but I'm obviously currently worried that this will come at the price of losing my bursary (this is not a financial problem, joining up is just the thing that I really want to do with my life) and being classified as medically unfit. I think we have to resit our medicals when before we start Dartmouth which is still a few years down the line and one of the bursary requirements is that we "remaind medically fit."
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst every sympathy is afforded, it is a condition of entry into the Naval Service that you must inform your ACLO/AFCO of any changes in circumstances.

This is most definitely a condition which can affect medical suitability in the shorter term - with any luck you'll be clear of the condition, free from treatment and suitable for service after graduation, but it could cost you dear if you don't report it now and it is subsequently revealed prior to entry.

Best of luck.
  3. I know that depression, for civvies, is an automatic rejection into the services but since I have already been accepted this wouldn't mean automatic expulsion then?
  4. The reality of your situation is this:When you applied for the Bursary you were eligible for it. Now there is something that might exclude you. Come clean with the AFCO and take it from there. Bursaries are hard enough to come by, so if you are no longer eligible it may be that someone else can have it. Good luck.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012