Burning Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wolriddle, Jan 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all!
    I have my sift interview in a couple of weeks, and i think im almost ready just a few burning questions i cant seem to find, so hopefully someone can help!:
    Im hoping to go in as a non graduate officer, what will be my rank upon passing out at BRNC, going for pilot when would i reach the pilot officer?
    Will i need to know about the different radar/sonar used, if so which websites are reliable for this (I dont like believeing wiki)?
    Current affairs, if i have some depth of knowledge in current developments in Mali, Afghan, what other events should I look at?
    I did do a search for each, hopefully im not asking a preanswered question:withstupid:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Your rank on passing out will be midshipman. In terms of the radar and sonar, I would try to focus more on whole ship capabilities and the 'type' of equipment that enables them. The RN website should cover the depth required. If you want more info or have any q's give me a pm.

3. Welcome to Rum Ration.

Which newspapers do you read on a daily basis?

4. Buy the week & economist, they contain pertinent information and people's opinions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. You will only reach Pilot Officer when you pass out of the Crabs.

You will pass out of BRNC as a Naval Officer!

PS

Maybe a tad more revision needed on naval ranks.

6. I read the telegraph daily, totally agree r.e the ranks comment!

7. Any of the broad sheets are good.

You really need to know the rank structure. You will also need a better than average knowledge of all current weapons systems and there associated radars and sonars. Include aircraft too! Present and future.

A search of this site alone will give you a wealth of info from people who have gone through and are going through the selection process.

Good luck.

8. Feelin much more confident now guys thanks. Just one question I've seen which has had me thrown, is the admiral of the fleet different to the 1st sea lord? If so is it the person who is in charge of operations?
    Edit after googling a bit harder I've found out its the duke of Edinburgh. What an idiot I am

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  9. Admiral of the Fleet is a rank, not a position.

10. And in the words of the immortal Highlander, "there can be only one".

11. An update on this no doubt done to death on here but i hope it can help someone. I had the interview today, was very nervous to start with but there ist anything to be nervous about, the lieutenant was very friendly and is there to get you through. The bad news is i didnt get through and have the interview again in June after my final exams. I was knocked back on leadership as i thought i had plenty but they were more based on determination/teamwork. He reccomended organising something with a group of people, so I'm organising a three peaks challenge for sometime before april.
    The questions were really easy to answer if youve done enough work on naval knowledge, ill post the questions i can remember but it really is what everyone else has posted just a bit more a recent one.
    He started off with questions about my reasoning on joining the armed forces and navy. Then questions about myself; what i am studying at college, my hobbies and interests. He mentioned afterwards how they are looking for someone who keeps themselves busy, which i do so that was good. My problem was the next bunch of questions about my qualities which would help me as an officer, try to mention leadershp and teamwork without being prompted as well as a couple of other qualities, as well as being prepared to give examples.
    The next questions were based on my training pipeline and what would be involved at BRNC. Proceeded by questions on the current fleet and what the difference between the type 45 and 23. Next was the operations they are currently involved with, all in all the questions tested your knowledge but with a few weeks work you should sail through them.
    The lieutenant was extremely helpful and has booked me on a TLM course at a nearby base, is going to keep in touch regarding visiting ships that are in the area, as well as saying he would try and get me on an air aquaintance at RNAS Yeovilton or Culdrose. It was a really positive experience and will hopefully be in a better position after the second intevriew!

• Like Like x 1
  12. That's a step in the right direction but you need to take more than one step.

When interviewing it soon becomes obvious when someone has put all their eggs in one basket. As you ask more questions the interviewee repeatedly refers back to one event and is a good indication of how shallow their experience is. When you're asked, "tell me about a time when you've led a team", "describe a situation when you've had to motivate someone to achieve a task", "when have you had to give positive/negative feedback to a member of your team" etc and you constantly refer back to the one time you organised the Three Peaks Challenge, you'll soon be seen to be lacking any depth of leadership and/or team participation (you don't always need to be the leader). It's important to know your AFCO interview visit is just the first part of the screening process and the AIB won't be easily conned. You need to think of what you're going to say when the Commander on the AIB says, "thank you for that, now tell me about another time" and possibly even another one if your answers are a bit weak and waffly.

People often take the mick out of the cadet organisations but they are great when it comes to these sort of questions. Duke Of Edinburgh Award, Ten Tors, leadership camps, station visits where leadership days are organised etc are all fantastic sources of examples for the AFCO and AIB and to the parents of any kids who show a interest in joining the services I can't recommend them highly enough.

The cadets may be a bit late for you Wolriddle but think along the lines of leadership needn't to be an exped up Everest. There are plenty of opportunities at college to develop these skills but I'll let you use your brain on how you can best achieve that.

• Like Like x 1