Burma Road

Discussion in 'History' started by novo, Jan 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mate and myself were chatting about the pusser and old ships etc and
    I mentioned the burma road on an old ship. He asked how and when term originated. Anyone any ideas.

2. IIRC, its named after a MSR built by resistance fighters during WW2. I'm sure google will tell you more.
  3. I think The question was WHY IS THE MAIN PASSAGE WAY on a ship known as the Burmaway?
    Sorry I don't know but some older folk may

4. Hi Clanky

Cheers mate - u right I was meaning the main passageway. Thanks for your clarification.

5. I turned to my trusty copy of Jackspeak but all it says is:

I then did a quick Google and found this on a website dedicated to HMS Falcon. Maybe there's a connection:

6. Wasn't the main drag on HMS Kent called the 'Old Kent Road'?
  7. Perhaps its a case of the main drag being compared to a well known road, such as the one in Burma!
    I notice tha the road between St Levens and Albert Road in Guzz Dockyard is signed as the Burma Way.
  8. Clanky's on the money I reckon.
    The Burma Rd was also known as 'Going over the Hump'; so no doubt why matloes hopping over a lot of "Humps' on a ship, named it so.

Fleet Carriers like Indom and Implac had a v.long passage running fore & aft, alongside the hangar deck. Lots of X & Y doors with those 2 ft coamings that one hurdled over; just enough space between 'em to attack the next.
    - Good training for Olympics.
    (That's why my left foot metatarsals have crumbled - Gonna sue the bastids).

Only heard it used on above; did Illustrious and Victorious have same setup?

9. Hi Lads

Thanks for all the input the info on Falcon was interesting, they got there monies worth out of her. Winsk was right, I was on Kent and it was the Old Kent Road and remember Bristol had street name plates on the passageway.

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

May have spread from the carriers but it was the Burma Road in Cossack in 1957.
  11. My Tuppence worth....

Similarly to the infamous Burma Road it was/is ...the Main supply route [for'd to aft]

In the Indian British Army, Burma Road meant 'rice pudding'
  12. Unlike the Navy, in which rice pudding was always known, in my time, as "Chinese wedding cake".

13. On the Antrim it was Giants Causeway.
  14. On the Norfolk (D71/GMD Type) we called them the "Norfolk Broads".
  15. Burma Road on the Rot-easy

We had currants in our rice pudding and called it N------s in the Snow but you cant say that these days.
  16. In the Canadian Navy, Burma Road was still the name of the main passageway in the 20 DDEs and DDHs commissioned 55-64, with the last being paid off in the late 90s. This name has since been abandoned in our newer ships.
  17. ...D21 methinks :thumright:
  18. Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but could you tell me the name of the cross-passageway back aft near the heads and bathrooms? Was this passageway called different things on different County Class?

19. D20...HMS Fife, was the "Great Glen"...but didn't know that the cross-passageway back aft was called anything Winsk, could be wrong though, long time ago!!