Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in house

Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Wheel-spanner said:
I hear a lot about overcrowding in Prisons, and why we cant put more bodies in because we dont have the space.

Why can't they hot bunk, and do hard graft during the 6 hours on time? Works on Boats...
Sit rep is the same in Ireland rapid response unit there in three days.

Returning to the "MAINLAND" [that always gets a nice response]to find house damaged plod just sends incident sheet and do you need counselling shite.

Get the feckers out working in the countryside doing conservation work or litter picking in town with bright orange overalls would be nice.

chris

Midshipman

well its all about how you look at this.
the police will eventually turn up, but not from a 999 call.
i believe it is common policy to downgrade calls like burglury etc to 999, unless the offender is still there.

at the end of the day, two coppers rollin up outside your house 5 minutes after you discover you've been burgled, does nothing.
all the police can do is take scene of crime evidence and statements and stuff. all this can be done by a young PC in training from your local nick, it doesnt need a car and two coppers on duty.

if they sent out a car in response to every burglury report, every non serious attack (like somebody getting happy slapped and reporting it an hour later when they get home), every accusation of slander, etc there would be fuckall people left to deal with situations like a single mother staring down the barrel of a .22 in her own home.

yes the police is pretty tits up at the moment, but they are only prioritising.

at the end of the day, you report a burglary. you've already been burgled. even if the army, navy, air force, fire brigade, ambluence service, AA, RNLI, and UN turn up, you still have been burgled. its already happened, nobody can stop it.
the process of getting your stuff back (insurance or otherwise) isnt immediate. the cops dont turn up and say "tell me what you lost, and ill go get replacements from the van", so it seems silly to waste resources getting people there double time to write down you saying "i went to the shops, and when i got back my stuff was gone".

be pissed off if you rang them because you were getting raped and they told you they will be with you in 5 - 10 days, but if its just stuff, be thankful everything that REALLY matters is ok, wait for them to do the shit, replace it with insurance, and get a fuckin alarm.

Bergen

ADC

chris said:
well its all about how you look at this.
the police will eventually turn up, but not from a 999 call.
i believe it is common policy to downgrade calls like burglury etc to 999, unless the offender is still there.

at the end of the day, two coppers rollin up outside your house 5 minutes after you discover you've been burgled, does nothing.
all the police can do is take scene of crime evidence and statements and stuff. all this can be done by a young PC in training from your local nick, it doesnt need a car and two coppers on duty.

if they sent out a car in response to every burglury report, every non serious attack (like somebody getting happy slapped and reporting it an hour later when they get home), every accusation of slander, etc there would be fuckall people left to deal with situations like a single mother staring down the barrel of a .22 in her own home.

yes the police is pretty tits up at the moment, but they are only prioritising.

at the end of the day, you report a burglary. you've already been burgled. even if the army, navy, air force, fire brigade, ambluence service, AA, RNLI, and UN turn up, you still have been burgled. its already happened, nobody can stop it.
the process of getting your stuff back (insurance or otherwise) isnt immediate. the cops dont turn up and say "tell me what you lost, and ill go get replacements from the van", so it seems silly to waste resources getting people there double time to write down you saying "i went to the shops, and when i got back my stuff was gone".

be pissed off if you rang them because you were getting raped and they told you they will be with you in 5 - 10 days, but if its just stuff, be thankful everything that REALLY matters is ok, wait for them to do the shit, replace it with insurance, and get a fuckin alarm.

Here in Texas it's slightly different. There was a recent 'phone call to 911 from a family that were being burglarized [don't blame me for that word]. The householder told the police that there was no hurry to respond because he had double-tapped the offender who was now dead in the hallway.

The local authorities will not even entertain charges against anyone who shoots and kills a burglar, although a local police helicopter pilot did tell me that unofficial advice is to make sure the offender is dead and cannot recover and sue.

One of the reasons that I will no longer live in UK [besides weather, Bliars, tax and fat women] is the constant and pernicious petty crime and vandalism there.

The UK police are about as useful as a button on a sock and their don't give a fcuk attitude is galling. In Cornwall [of all places] the attitude of friends and neighbours to the local plod was one of utter contempt with distrust of the police and the legal system widespread.

RM

nutty_bag

War Hero

One of the reasons that I will no longer live in UK [besides weather, Bliars, tax and fat women] is the constant and pernicious petty crime and vandalism there.

Think i'm going to see what canada has to offer in a few years time!! As you know oppo i get the shit end of the stick from my "customers" with the occasional cozzer doing their job properly. It may just be me but the police always look so bloody young when they show up!! "Give me the ******* baton and i'll dispatch the little bastards"

Per mare per terram

So this law abiding kung fu/judo type returns home to find his house like a tip and spots knob head in the garden with tv. Chases him through four gardens and drags him back head first through the garden hedges.

Plod arrives and takes naughty person away.

Two days later plod arrives to tell law abiding type he is to be prosecuted for hurting naughty type.

Application form for plod is spotted on side of coffee table. Plod learns that nice person is applying for plod. Leave this to us mate we will sort it.

Friend[a plod in Manchester] tells me that of six witnesses for a major crime scene four have died in the last twelve months under suspect circumstances???

Remember the one about plod arriving early at crime scene[this was such a long time ago]corner shop break in. He looks round and thinks must have a few nutty bars he reaches over the counter and drops one nutty bar on floor he goes to retrieve and finds naughty person under counter.

Not forgetting smelly bugs who broke into the local shop through skylight solid bars on doors and windows so it was skylight job. Bootie style down the rope, problem was the fat smelly shite couldn't climb back up the rope. What a plonker Rodney!!!

Bergen

ADC

nutty_bag said:

Think i'm going to see what canada has to offer in a few years time!! As you know oppo i get the shit end of the stick from my "customers" with the occasional cozzer doing their job properly. It may just be me but the police always look so bloody young when they show up!! "Give me the ******* baton and i'll dispatch the little bastards"

Per mare per terram
Friends of mine who live just outside Houston have a sign on their ranch gate; it has a picture of a pistol with the words "We Don't Call 911" underneath. Pretty cute.

Nuts - you'll like Canada, great country and the Canadians are neat [except for the Canadian Snowbirds who spend their winters in Florida and insist on driving properly and indicating before they make a turn................. it really messes with the Seppo's heads - they think that it's a plot by Al-Qaeda or something]

RM

safewalrus

War Hero

Could do with a bit of 'Texas Law' in the uk!

Meanwhle in Cornwall (of all places) we have solved the problem! We ignore the stupid English law and sort the problem ourselves. Works rather well to!

'Tis amasing what a good smacking will do to solve a problem, their mates shut up to!

Obviously not to be recommended to all law abiding citizens, they just have to loose out!

TattooDog said:
Surely if prisons were unpleasant places to stay, and sentences were long, wouldn't that be a deterrent?

If someone decides to act against society (ie rob, mug, kill etc) then they lose all protection afforded by that society (rights, voting etc).

But that's just my opinion, and I don't have a job which relies on a high crime rate, unlike solicitors, human rights experts, prison visitors, probation service employees etc etc!
In a word: NO! Most offenders do not expect to be caught and therefore do not expect to be punished. The most effective weapon and deterrent against any class of offence is for the offender to be certain or at least in serious jeapody, of punishment. The punishment itself is less of an issue here - the apprehension and subsequent conviction are more crucial. Tough sentencing is a sop by politicians wanting to sound as if they are doing something tangible, when in reality they are engaging in window dressing. The other downside of tough sentencing (if perceived as disproportionate), paradoxically, is that it may make jurors less inclined to convict!

Most human rights experts are not concerned with the rights of offenders but of ordinary people. Just because the Daily Mail and Sun misrepresent the facts does not render their assertions true!

Steve.

PS: Overall I would say that a problem with policing is apparent lacunæ in, for example, human rights law, which enables those who wish to avoid a particular course of action to attribute their inaction onto the law or as Nutty has pointed out, have been directed to record crime in a particular way. The other problem is established reputation. For those of us who have experienced this, it does seem to make us somewhat cynical and very sceptical as to positive outcomes - which is why the Police are having so many problem gettings gays to report hate crime. For example why are religious death threats to the gay community or individuals by conservative Christians and Muslim radicals always treated as matters of religious liberty? Before researching for my criminology diploma I thought ALL death threats were serious criminal offences - but apparently this is not so. It is de facto legal in England and Wales to threaten to kill someone if they don't abandon their research into religious hate speech - so long as you claim to believe that it's Bible teaching. For the record this is why I was so determined to publish my dissertation. It was an empty threat - but it should still not be exempt on grounds of religious liberty!

This experience 4 years ago should have perhaps made me pro-vigilante action. I must conceed that I am much more sympathetic to this now than I was, but recognise that it is a recipie for anarchy. The rule of law is contingent upon lawful action by a legally established, authorised and regulated body whose actions are subject to examination and adjudication. No vigilante action can be encompassed within this notion. So what is the solution? Better training. Disciplinary action for refusal to investigate crimes by misattributing inertia to human rights legislation; freedom of information so that police/judicial action/inaction that is the result of local or national policy decisions or personal beliefs become public knowledge as of right. There also need to be more test cases of human rights interpretation against the reality as interpretated more pragmatically in Strasbourg - which must be financed automatically by the taxpayer.

Bergen

ADC

safewalrus said:
Could do with a bit of 'Texas Law' in the uk!

Meanwhle in Cornwall (of all places) we have solved the problem! We ignore the stupid English law and sort the problem ourselves. Works rather well to!

'Tis amasing what a good smacking will do to solve a problem, their mates shut up to!

Obviously not to be recommended to all law abiding citizens, they just have to loose out![/quote
safewalrus said:
In S.E. Cornwall where I was born and bred [of all places]..............most of the crime, vandalism and criminality is imported by dirty little herberts from Plymouth. If we put a passport control on the Tamar Bridge, Torpoint Ferry and the Cremyll the problems would go away.

lol

Always_a_Civvy said:
TattooDog said:
Surely if prisons were unpleasant places to stay, and sentences were long, wouldn't that be a deterrent?

If someone decides to act against society (ie rob, mug, kill etc) then they lose all protection afforded by that society (rights, voting etc).

But that's just my opinion, and I don't have a job which relies on a high crime rate, unlike solicitors, human rights experts, prison visitors, probation service employees etc etc!
In a word: NO! Most offenders do not expect to be caught and therefore do not expect to be punished. The most effective weapon and deterrent against any class of offence is for the offender to be certain or at least in serious jeapody, of punishment. The punishment itself is less of an issue here - the apprehension and subsequent conviction are more crucial. Tough sentencing is a sop by politicians wanting to sound as if they are doing something tangible, when in reality they are engaging in window dressing. The other downside of tough sentencing (if perceived as disproportionate), paradoxically, is that it may make jurors less inclined to convict!

Most human rights experts are not concerned with the rights of offenders but of ordinary people. Just because the Daily Mail and Sun misrepresent the facts does not render their assertions true!

Steve.

PS: Overall I would say that a problem with policing is apparent lacunæ in, for example, human rights law, which enables those who wish to avoid a particular course of action to attribute their inaction onto the law or as Nutty has pointed out, have been directed to record crime in a particular way. The other problem is established reputation. For those of us who have experienced this, it does seem to make us somewhat cynical and very sceptical as to positive outcomes - which is why the Police are having so many problem gettings gays to report hate crime. For example why are religious death threats to the gay community or individuals by conservative Christians and Muslim radicals always treated as matters of religious liberty? Before researching for my criminology diploma I thought ALL death threats were serious criminal offences - but apparently this is not so. It is de facto legal in England and Wales to threaten to kill someone if they don't abandon their research into religious hate speech - so long as you claim to believe that it's Bible teaching. For the record this is why I was so determined to publish my dissertation. It was an empty threat - but it should still not be exempt on grounds of religious liberty!

This experience 4 years ago should have perhaps made me pro-vigilante action. I must conceed that I am much more sympathetic to this now than I was, but recognise that it is a recipie for anarchy. The rule of law is contingent upon lawful action by a legally established, authorised and regulated body whose actions are subject to examination and adjudication. No vigilante action can be encompassed within this notion. So what is the solution? Better training. Disciplinary action for refusal to investigate crimes by misattributing inertia to human rights legislation; freedom of information so that police/judicial action/inaction that is the result of local or national policy decisions or personal beliefs become public knowledge as of right. There also need to be more test cases of human rights interpretation against the reality as interpretated more pragmatically in Strasbourg - which must be financed automatically by the taxpayer.

Steve

Just what I wanted to say but I could not construct such a lucid argument. I am 200% with you.

Nutty

Bergen's Texas solution may sound very good but the same gun laws allow normal USA children and employees to enter schools or places of employment and massacre people at will for perceived slights.

Jimmy_Green

War Hero

Steve, even if, as you say, long prison sentences are not a deterrent, when we do catch them we should still lock them up 'cos it keeps the little bastards off the streets. If they are are behind bars then they can't burgle, rob, mug, steal etc etc.Don't talk about ASBOs, they are just seen as a badge of honour, to be breeched.

I am not really in favour of vigilante action. It is too easy to get things wrong and for innocent people to suffer but when there is a lack of trust and belief in the judicial system, when the police fail to respond to the public's needs (remember, they police by public consent), when the courts fail to implement proper sentences and turn the victims into criminals, when the politicians constantly stick their heads in the sand and talk shite about how crime levels are down etc, then it may well be time for us to take matters into our own hands. The people that we entrust to do this job for us are failing.

Jimmy_Green said:
Steve, even if, as you say, long prison sentences are not a deterrent, when we do catch them we should still lock them up 'cos it keeps the little bastards off the streets. If they are are behind bars then they can't burgle, rob, mug, steal etc etc.Don't talk about ASBOs, they are just seen as a badge of honour, to be breeched.
Prison is only failing as a deterrent because most of the scrotes don't think they will get caught, and if they are caught they don't think they will get convicted and jailed. The way to make prison an effective deterrent is to dramtically improve the detection and conviction rate.

As for ASBOs they are only innefectice because they are poorly enforced, if every breach of an ASBO meant going to jail then breaches would soon fall.

Peter

slim

War Hero

With all the modern technology available to our police (camera's, DNA, etc) why is the detection rate so low?
Time to stop the PC brigade and allow the police to recruit people who want to do the job. At present many forces seem to have their hands tied as they have to fill vacancies with people from minority groups. If a person from one of these groups can tick all the boxes then employ them, if not why discriminate against the white heterosexual British born male.

slim said:
With all the modern technology available to our police (camera's, DNA, etc) why is the detection rate so low?
Time to stop the PC brigade and allow the police to recruit people who want to do the job. At present many forces seem to have their hands tied as they have to fill vacancies with people from minority groups. If a person from one of these groups can tick all the boxes then employ them, if not why discriminate against the white heterosexual British born male.
I suspect it has little to do with the way in which they were recruited or their ethnic or sexual background. The reality is that every arrest results in hours of paperwork etc so each arrest actually prevents more arrests being made. We have an all time record number of policemen so Nulabor tells us, but at the same time we have an all time low in available policemen to solve crimes. Perhaps we should subcontract crime prevention to a few Brazilian Police death squads.

slim said:
Technology, Slim, is no substitute for intelligence, by which I mean local knowledge and the construction of relationships with a representative cross-section of the community being policed in any given area. This needs carefully recruited, well trained, committed people - the ordinary bobby on the beat meeting the public in non-crime situations and being seen to act impartially across all spectra of the community. This way you gradually gain acceptance and trust. Technology is only useful once you have the information - and crime prevention is always preferable to apprehension after the event. This is where I would focus resources. I would also make those officers too ready to find excuses for inappropriate action/inaction such as exagerrated human rights claims, personal beliefs, etc, redundant. They ought to have no place in a modern, professional police force. If the officers are white heterosexuual males and can do the job then I have no problem with that - the key is gaining the confidence and trust of the whole community, including marginalised groups, in order to do the job more efficaciously.

Steve.

Bergen

ADC

We have an all time record number of policemen so Nulabor tells us, but at the same time we have an all time low in available policemen to solve crimes. Perhaps we should subcontract crime prevention to a few Brazilian Police death squads.[/quote]

The Keystone Cops have already tried that one; led by Ian Bliar and Cressida Dick. Ask Jean-Charles de Menezes.