Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in house

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by slim, Jan 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

The short answer.....yes.It's all they can do

2. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Maybe they chase some but generally they don't bother with the majority. You only have to look at the number of idiots out there on the road.

I wouldn't blame the police for this change in policy. They're being forced into similar positions by lack of proper funding from our illustrious government as we're finding ourselves in.

If we spent the bloody tax on ourselves and stuff that directly benefits the country we might be able to balance the books. Who's for taking a year off from funding overseas economies then?

SF

3. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Got my car broken into last night, they rummaged around and because I don't store things in my car they went away empty handed. I on the other hand have now to get my car repaired.

The police's view is it is car vandalism (not an attempted theft), and "no thanks we don't wan't to come and look at it".

Most dis-chuffed.

4. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

However if you had apprehended the bstds yourself you would now be facing assault charges

5. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

This has been going on for decades in the cities as the rozzers claim not to have enough resources, but the jam sandwiches always get the motorists doing just over the speed limit. Easy targets always help to inflate the statistics so the govt can say it's being tough on crime - not!!

6. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Phil

Within English/Welsh law unless you can prove the intent, i.e. state of mind of the suspect at the time and with out a bit more than a rummage around in this day and age you won't then you only have a crime of "criminal damage" . This is a perfectly legal way for the Police to reduce their crime figures of theft and say we have had an increase in "vandalism" Not a word used in the Legal System. It happened back in the 70's when every attempted entry to a building or part of a building was classified on instructions of Senior Officers as Criminal Damage and not attempted Burglary so at the end of the year they could say, "We have reduced Burglary in the area but Vandalism has gone up." Without a witness, identifiable property (to anyone not just the owner) or forensic evidence (finger prints, blood) you are on a total non starter. No more that 5% of burglaries committed in the country are genuinely solved. The rest claimed by Police are TIC's or written off as solved cos we know who did it but can't prove it.

As for attending burglaries unless the perpetrator is on scene achieves little other than to take 1 or 2 Policemen off the street to act as social workers and unpaid cleaner/builders to assist the upset victim. They can do nothing of any use. They are neither equipped or trained for forensic examination and are quick response units not local investigation units.

As for persecuting motorists how many coppers do you see out on the roads these days, very few. Last summer I drove from Brighton to just north of Faslane between 3pm and 1am and the next day from Glasgow's Western Hospital to South East London between 4 pm and midnight. Both were weekdays, on neither trip did I see one Police (marked) Mobile unit.

Like all Government Departments including the Forces they concentrated on the easy targets that the Government have set them not the hard ones just look at NHS, Education, CSU (Now disbanded), CPS, Police, MAFF (we can make it better by changing its name (Austin/Morris becomes Rover and various other things on the way).

I like you, may not like it but in 2007 it is the same as Ganges 1960 and Raleigh 2007 things have changed.

Nutty

7. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

I think you misunderstand my point, I probably put it across poorly.

I think the major deterent for criminals is if they think they will be apprehended. I would suggest that most now think they can burgle with implunity as it is not taken very seriously.

The other point made by SLIM I would concur with is that there appears nothing that we as private citizens are allowed to do about it, other than paying up in taxes and replacement windows, as if we intervene we are criticised by the police, if not worse.

The net result is most people pretend "anti-social behaviour", or as I prefer to call it criminality, isn't going on or hope it doesn't affect them today.

8. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

I think the money that the government intends to spend on, what I'm sure will be a farce of a national ID scheme, could be better spent on getting 1000s more police out on the streets on a proper beat (not in their cars). There should be a visible deterrent for the crims and a reassurance for the public. We should build more prisons, take away the TVs and pool tables. Enforce a prison uniform rather than allowing inmates their own clothes and introduce hard labour. Make prison a horrible place to be. And make the sentance passed the sentance to be served, no early release. Anybody that receives an ASBO should have to spend their weekends in prison in solitary confinement for the period of the ASBO, to reinforce what will happen should they breach their ASBO.

And that's for starters.

9. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

I hear a lot about overcrowding in Prisons, and why we cant put more bodies in because we dont have the space.

Why can't they hot bunk, and do hard graft during the 6 hours on time? Works on Boats...

10. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Surely if prisons were unpleasant places to stay, and sentences were long, wouldn't that be a deterrent?

If someone decides to act against society (ie rob, mug, kill etc) then they lose all protection afforded by that society (rights, voting etc).

But that's just my opinion, and I don't have a job which relies on a high crime rate, unlike solicitors, human rights experts, prison visitors, probation service employees etc etc!

11. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

JG
    Nothing there that I would disagree with.

Phil
    you always have been able to commit burglary with impunity even back in the 70's when I was a South London CID Officer and PC's still walked beats. It is much easier to nick people for face to face crimes, Robbery, Rape, Fraud, Drugs, Assault etc cos you at least have something to work on to get a conviction.

I do not know what the current state of play is with a citizens arrest but it used to be exactly the sma e as a PC's except a sworn constable only had to suspect you had committed an arrestable offence a citzent had to know you had committed an arrestable offence i.e. he had to see you do it. Any more recenmt Plod maybe able to up date.

Nutty

12. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Phil,

Whilst I sympathise with you totally, many of the young rascals that I have spoken to who commit vandalism and such like do not give a monkeys toss about being caught. The system does not act as a deterrent and these kids know they will receive many slaps on the wrist and counselling by social workers etc. before they reach a court. When they reach a court the sentences handed down, fines and community service, are a minor irritant. To pay the fines the kiddiwinks simply carry out a couple of more jobs to raise the cash and the community service is carried out during office hours allowing the wee darlings to roam the streets at night casing the next job up.

Some of my ex neighbours did not mind young offenders institutions as they took them away from their normal shi**y family life and allowed their batteries to be fully recharged in readiness for the next game of cops and robbers.

The PC world of today seems to me anyway to be biased towards the offenders but I have found that a well planted message in the ears of neds and sometimes their parents has worked for me bearing in mind of course that I'am not a trained social worker or councellor and therefore may be doing the wrong thing.

Pol

13. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

I think that your opinion is the same as that of most of the law abiding public.

14. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Ah, I now see the problem - the law abiding, tax paying public have less rights than everyone else!

15. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Correct we are unable to gain free access to Human rights lawyers.

16. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

I was the subject of a "Road Rage" incident last week. White van man wanted the piece of road I was occupying. He followed me off the motorway and when I stopped at traffic lights he ran into the back of me and split my back bumper. He got out of his van and proceeded to beat my wing mirror into hanging by its wiggly string. He very kindly wrote his name and date of birth on my windscreen, in case I wanted to report him to the "Old Bill" and also left a palm print on my off side window.

Having reported said incident to the Police, and being given an incident number, to date no one from the boys in Blue have visited me. Estimated cost of repairs about £300. As an "Old and Bold" I'm getting totally pissed off with the powers to be being so ineffective.

Semper Strenuissima.

17. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

Perhaps I shouldn't suggest this but it would make me want to track him down and set fire to his van.

18. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

I was burgled one Saturday afternoon, i was sitting in my living room. He came in the back door, went upstairs took what he wanted, but on way out he disturbed my dog. She grabbed his leg and hang on, the burglar soon got her off and legged it. Police were called and luck on my side he was caught. Next day police came back to prosecute me for having a dangerous dog, she was a border collie ( died 6 months after). Charges were eventually dropped by burglar.

19. Re: Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in hou

No deterrant at all if they don't think they will get caught.

If some one is convicted then they do lose many rights, like for example the right to freedom. The answer to crime is detection and conviction increasing the penalties will do nothing if the little scrotes are not caught.
    I am sure that all of your pet hates above would support higher detection and prosecution rates as that would provide more business for them.