Bullying of Female Officer RAN

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
Lingyai said:
If more of us stepped up when people are being bullied the world would be a better place, I know it is easier to join the crowd, be loyal and back your oppos' but one of my favourite saying covers this.
Loyaly above all else, except honour.
Personaly I would rather be labeled a rat than remember the pleading eyes that ask why you don't help.

Think we've been here before on other threads but I am 100% behind Lingyai here. The biggest difficulty lies with the very senior people who know it is going on on their patch, but do nothing. I think the Army has done better in this respect, having a binding code of behaviour that means, for instance that CO's and senior officers can't get away with unacceptable social behaviour, including bullying. It does need either a compassionate middle man or a whistle blower to out the bully though.

oz/RAN

Midshipman
Nuff said??
FM CN AUSTRALIA

R 280635Z JUL 06

SUBJ: MEDIATION RESOLUTION WITH LIEUTENANT COMMANDER ROBYN FAHY

A CN AUSTRALIA Z4P/WAA 180708ZMAY06

1. AT THE REFERENCE I STATED THAT I WAS SEEKING TO MEDIATE A LEGAL CLAIM SUBMITTED BY LCDR FAHY. I AM PLEASED TO ADVISE THAT SETTLEMENT HAS BEEN ACHIEVED AND DEFENCE AND LCDR FAHY HAVE BOTH AGREED TO THE RELEASE OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT.

2. LIEUTENANT COMMANDER ROBYN FAHY AND DEFENCE HAVE CONCLUDED THE MEDIATION IN RELATION TO LIEUTENANT COMMANDER FAHY'S TREATMENT DURING HER SERVICE AT THE AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE FORCE ACADEMY (ADFA) IN 1986-87 AND HER REMOVAL FROM THE POSITION OF EXECUTIVE OFFICER HMAS STIRLING IN OCTOBER 2000. BOTH PARTIES HAVE AGREED TO THIS STATEMENT.

3. LIEUTENANT COMMANDER FAHY BROUGHT A CLAIM UNDER THE HUMAN RIGHTS AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION ACT 1986 ALLEGING UNLAWFUL DISCRIMINATION. DEFENCE HAS AGREED TO COMPENSATE LIEUTENANT COMMANDER FAHY AND TO FACILITATE HER TRANSITION TO CIVILIAN EMPLOYMENT FOLLOWING HER SEPARATION FROM THE NAVY. FOR PRIVACY REASONS, AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE MEDIATION AGREEMENT SIGNED BY THE<<
PARTICIPANTS, THE TERMS OF SETTLEMENT WILL NOT BE RELEASED PUBLICLY.

4. DEFENCE RECOGNISES THAT ASPECTS OF THE ENVIRONMENT AT ADFA, DURING ITS EARLY FORMATIVE YEARS, WERE LESS THAN DESIRABLE. AS A RESULT OF THE REVIEW OF POLICIES AND PRACTICES TO DEAL WITH SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND SEXUAL OFFENCES AT AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE FORCE ACADEMY, CONDUCTED BY BRONWEN GREY IN 1998, DEFENCE SUCCESSFULLY IMPLEMENTED
MAJOR CULTURAL REFORMS THAT HAVE SINCE HAD A VERY POSITIVE IMPACT. THESE POSITIVE IMPACTS WILL BE FURTHER REINFORCED AND ENHANCED BY THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE GOVERNMENT'S RESPONSE TO THE SENATE INQUIRY INTO MILITARY JUSTICE, WHICH ARE WELL ADVANCED.

5. DEFENCE ACKNOWLEDGES THAT WHILE LIEUTENANT COMMANDER FAHY WAS SERVING AS EXECUTIVE OFFICER HMAS STIRLING THERE WAS A FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH APPROPRIATE MEDICAL PROTOCOLS, AS FOUND BY THE WESTERN AUSTRALIAN MEDICAL BOARD. DEFENCE ACKNOWLEDGES AND REGRETS THAT THIS FAILURE ADVERSELY IMPACTED ON THE CAREER AND REPUTATION OF LIEUTENANT COMMANDER FAHY.

6. THE SAFETY AND WELL-BEING OF OUR PEOPLE IS OF THE HIGHEST PRIORITY TO DEFENCE. THE AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE FORCE IS COMMITTED TO PROVIDING ITS MEMBERS WITH A WORKPLACE THAT IS FREE FROM UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR AND ANY FORM OF DISCRIMINATION.

7. IN BRINGING THIS MATTER TO A MUTUALLY AGREED RESOLUTION, BOTH THE CHIEF OF THE DEFENCE FORCE AND THE CHIEF OF NAVY REGRET THE DISTRESS THAT THIS HAS CAUSED LIEUTENANT COMMANDER FAHY AND HER FAMILY, CAPTAIN DI PIETRO AND HIS FAMILY, AS WELL AS OTHER MEMBERS OF THE AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE FORCE AND THEIR FAMILIES.

8. LIEUTENANT COMMANDER FAHY ACKNOWLEDGES THAT DEFENCE PARTICIPATED IN THE MEDIATION PROCESS IN GOOD FAITH AND THAT THE TERMS OF SETTLEMENT ENTERED INTO BY THE PARTIES ARE A FAIR AND REASONABLE RESOLUTION OF HER CLAIM. LIEUTENANT COMMANDER FAHY AND HER FAMILY ARE PLEASED THAT THIS MATTER HAS FINALLY BEEN BROUGHT TO A CONCLUSION.

9. THE PARTIES HAVE AGREED THAT THERE WILL BE NO FURTHER PUBLIC COMMENT IN RELATION TO THIS MATTER.

END QUOTE

ENDS

Sounds like a FULL and FRANK HANDS UP WE WERE GUILTY to me by the RAN.

What happened to the bent doctor that miss-diagnosed her to support his superiors actions and put it on paper for use in a legal proceeding. Is he inside for perjury, I doubt it.

Nutty

Latest Threads