Bullying of Female Officer RAN

sidon55

Lantern Swinger
I often wonder when these type of cases come to light (both service & civilian), why it has taken years before the accusations reach the light of day. I could imagine road blocks being put up by the powers that be in the service (the old addage - no male officer would do that) and the Old Boys Club ganging together, but surely if it is that serious a report to the civil authorities would have got it moving quicker

sidon55 said:
I often wonder when these type of cases come to light (both service & civilian), why it has taken years before the accusations reach the light of day. I could imagine road blocks being put up by the powers that be in the service (the old addage - no male officer would do that) and the Old Boys Club ganging together, but surely if it is that serious a report to the civil authorities would have got it moving quicker

Nick

The most famous case of cover up in thr USN went fron SubLt. to the Secretary of State for the Navy who was eventually forced to resign see attached.

Quote:
AMONG seafaring men, a woman on board ship was traditionally considered bad luck, and since the Tailhook Association convention last fall in Las Vegas, it's clear that they can spell trouble ashore too. Navy Secretary H. Lawrence Garrett III resigned after President Bush expressed his displeasure with the Navy's inquiry into the sexual abuse of 26 military and civilian women by naval aviators at the convention. The Senate is holding up 4,500 Navy promotions; a House Committee has cut 10,000 jobs from Navy headquarters; and Representative Pat Schroeder is demanding that the Department of Justice take over the investigation. President Bush and his fellow politicians appear convinced that the women's vote hinges on reacting to the Tailhook incident.
Unquote:

Major cover ups do happen or fail as in this case.

Nutty

lesbryan

War Hero
I've been looking at this one over the last few days and I have to say that I'm leaning towards the sceptics camp. I hate the thoughts of anyone being bullied, particularly if it involves ABH. But the thoughts that a female officer in a modern naval service could be systematically bullied & beaten, on a daily basis, over such a long period beggars belief.

If I am wrong and this is true then my apologies to the lady involved. I'm no fool - I know this type of thing goes on and often over a prolonged period, but to this extent? It just doesn't seem possible in this day and age
Unfortunitely these things do go on and when they are found they should be discharged the service SNLR and taken to court as well

Jones265R

Badgeman
So if everyone she came in contact with hated her, how did she ever get promoted surely you require recommendations from your senior officers who presumably if they felt the need to beat you would not feel inclined to give you the nod for promotion.

Skunkmiester

Lantern Swinger
I can't see it happening to this extent, the story does seem a bit extreme. But even the slightest bit of proper bullying is a bad thing.

On the other hand perhaps she is 100% obnoxious and everyone hated her.
At the end of the day if you hate or detest someone in your troop because they are incompitent or dangerous or have the worst personality or are just s**t. Then your going to treat that person pretty crap anyway.

If one person is causing problems within a close knit unit then that person should be got rid of, the unit should not have to change for them.

hammockhead

Lantern Swinger
Skunkmiester said:
I can't see it happening to this extent, the story does seem a bit extreme. But even the slightest bit of proper bullying is a bad thing.

On the other hand perhaps she is 100% obnoxious and everyone hated her.
At the end of the day if you hate or detest someone in your troop because they are incompitent or dangerous or have the worst personality or are just s**t. Then your going to treat that person pretty crap anyway.

If one person is causing problems within a close knit unit then that person should be got rid of, the unit should not have to change for them.

Yes, but it doesn't fit with the facts. She was apparently given an award for being the best cadet at the naval college, which couldn't have happened if everyone hated her.

Chunky_Monkey

Midshipman
Have a look at this story in the Sydney Morning Herald. Seems this is not the only case of serious abuse in the Australian Defence Force:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/NATIONAL...y-bullying-case/2006/05/16/1147545291165.html

Another previous story on same subject in the same paper indicates the officer raising the complaint began to be bullied after she stood up for a fellow female officer who was being sexually harassed.

It appears the Australian Defence Force has many serious bullying issues to be resolved......

PartTimePongo

War Hero
I too , am incredulous that this could happen over such a long period and remain unreported.

However, you only have to look at cases of domestic violence, to wonder why in the hell some women put up with it for so long. But they do.

I am not sceptical per se , but I think we need to wait out on what future investigations may reveal.

This case however , has ben reported on before

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1417054.htm

KERRY O'BRIEN: Australia's defence chiefs received a damning tongue-lashing from an all-party Senate committee last month for a deeply flawed military justice system. It recommended substantial changes, even to the extent in many instances of taking the administration of justice away from military. In considering how he should respond, new defence boss Air Chief Marshall Angus Houston might be advised to look at one case in particular as a symptom of a wider malaise - the story of a bright, young female naval officer whose career is now in ruins, despite the fact that Air Marshall Houston himself once singled her out as a bright, shining star. Two years ago, we told the first chapter in the story of Lieutenant Commander Robyn Fahy and how her career had been all but destroyed by a Navy doctor's misdiagnosis and unethical behaviour. Refused a fair hearing from the Navy, Lieutenant Commander Fahy took her case to the Medical Board of Western Australia. Last year, the tribunal handed down its findings but suppressed her name. Today that suppression order was lifted. Here's Mark Bannerman with chapter two.

Seadog

War Hero
Odd that the thread should be revived with such a pointless post (now binned).

Reference a very low brow post Slim asked
Anyone else think that we have another Walt here?

Walt or not, Slim, it is someone with more than one identity. Not the only one around the boards.

Some posts deleted. Thanks for the hint Slim.

polariod

Lantern Swinger
Just an observation, given the the length of time that this lady was allegedly abused she must have given someone a supposed reason for the abuse. If the reasons were job related how did she achieve her promotions? In the same vein, if the reasons were personality based why did the service not bin her?

Perhaps one of the medics amongst us can clarify the effects of Bipolar disorder for me and this may ease my discomfort at the ladies story.

Pol

fails_as_is

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Reading through the old posts I have experience of the situation that Skunkmeister describes. Whilst on my IST ship we had a guy in the division that was seen as a leg-iron, he didn't fit in and we didn't make any effort to help bring him into the fold. Systematically, we were bullying him and at the time I was probably too naive to notice what was going on. I'm ashamed of the way we treated the guy. It wasn't physical bullying but as skunkmeister says we didn't change to accomodate him. I don't entirely agree with the statement that people should fit in or "f" off, but in the pack mentality exhibited in a close knit group, whether that be a mess deck, office, mess or whole unit, that is what happens.