Bullying in basic training....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kinko, Nov 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For all those who have done basic training, how often does it happen? I've heard there has been a lot of problems in the past with young people being bullied during basic.

Not just during basic actually, but being in the armed services in general. Is the selection mixed with chavs/older people?

Can anyone give their own experiences of basic?

2. Kinko:
    Why arent you out having a good time with your mates on a Saturday night instead of worrying about being bullied?
    Life is for enjoying.
    Im willing to be contradicted here but I can honestly say during my time in the service there was absolutely no bullying of youngsters / new recruits in the RN.On the contrary most young, new recruits might find they have a "Sea Daddy" to look out for them.
    Plenty of good natured leg pulling but no bullying.

3. Why aren't you out having a good time with your mates on a Saturday night instead of replying to this thread?

4. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

To be honest, the procedures in place for dealing with bullying (should it ever happen) do have the required result. The effectiveness of a professional military force depends on its servicemen not living in intimidation.

5. Ive got the duty watch baby sitting my Grandson.
    Ill make up for that tomorrow lunchtime.
    But I think you've missed the point anyhow. Why are you worrying about being bullied?
    Life is for enjoying not for worrying about something that probably will never happen.

6. Is this the sort of wimp joining today? (hey chief he took my nutty bar), just get in there and stop whinging.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Certainly nowadays there is a robust system in place to minimise, if not eradicate bullying, sexism & racism. Things are most certainly getting better.

Nowadays you can speak to the following people for advice and assistance:

Your line managers/DO/CO/OC & the Equal Opportunities Advisor can be contacted and will offer confidential and impartial advice and support as required .

There is a Confidential Supportline. It is an independent, confidential and anonymous supportline, manned by trained professionals who can give advice on a range of topics. Confidential Supportline: Military Personnel 0800 731 4880 9380 31 4480 ++44 1980 630854 (Open 1030-2230, 7 days a week) Civilian Personnel 020 7218 2666 9621 82666 (Open normal office hours, Monday to Friday)

ROYAL NAVY'S POLICY ON BULLYING AND HARASSMENT

_ The Royal Navy is committed to upholding the right of all personnel to work in an environment free from intimidation, humiliation, harassment or abuse.

_ This commitment is enshrined in the RN Diversity and Equality Policy and Strategy.

_ Behaviour such as bullying or harassment is manifestly unfair, undermines confidence and reduces morale.

There is zero tolerance to bullying and harassment in the Royal Navy.

_ Any allegation of discrimination, harassment, victimisation or bullying will be investigated and disciplinary or administrative action taken where there is sufficient and reliable evidence.

_ All individuals who are in a position of authority are to be aware that they are to (a) promote an environment conducive to harmonious working, (b) become aware of any developing conflicts and take positive action to ensure that these are resolved early, fairly and amicably, and (c) have the moral courage to take firm action against any inappropriate behaviour.

_ There are two avenues of redress open to Service personnel who believe that they have been the subject of inappropriate behaviour such as bullying and harassment.

_ The first is informal where the person approaches the alleged perpetrator directly - either in person, in writing or via a third party. Often this solves the problem, as the perpetrator may not be aware that his/her
    actions are causing distress.

_ If such an approach is not suitable or its does not succeed, individuals can submit a formal complaint to their Commanding Officer under the Royal Navy's laid down complaints procedures. It will then be investigated immediately, impartially and thoroughly, with fairness and sensitivity to all parties involved,
    and both the complainant and the alleged perpetrator will be kept informed throughout the process.

Assistance can also be provided by EO qualified personnel from the Special Investigations Branch.

_ Where the complaint is upheld, a range of sanctions can be deployed, from an apology by the perpetrator through to administrative or disciplinary action. The redress requested by the complainant will be taken into account as well as the severity of the incident.

_ Should the complaint not be upheld by the Commanding Officer, individuals can appeal and they have a right for their case to be considered by a higher authority outside their ship/establishment; this process can
    be progressed as far up as the Admiralty Board.

_ Where the alleged incident of bullying or harassment is unlawful under the Sex Discrimination Act, Race Relations Act, Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations or the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations, complainants also have the right to submit their complaint to an Employment Tribunal, at the same time that it is being considered through Service channels.

_ Advice and support is available at any stage to both victims and alleged perpetrators from many sources. There include the person's Divisional Officer, a chaplain, the ship/establishment Equal Opportunities Adviser, legal advisers, the Naval Personal and Family Services organisation or the Confidential
    Supportline.

_ Divisional Officers provide a link between the Commanding Officer to the most junior sailor. They are part of the Divisional system which is a personnel management system that provides a structure within a ship/establishment to supervise, develop, and train the members of its company. Of note is that it is also the means by which the welfare of personnel can be addressed and it is to a Divisional Officer that a rating will turn if he/she has family, financial or work problems.

8. Personally, I'd rather experience bullying from blokes who could become my mates than some foreign t**t who intends me and mine harm. People are bullied for various reasons. Sometimes it's because blokes don't want to serve with someone they can't trust. Bullying isn't very nice but it could be a subtle way of explaining that one has tried to join the wrong family.

I've been bullied and I learned from it. I believe (could be wrong) that I'm the stronger for it. It's still not very nice. though.

edited 091327Z NOV08 for mong typing.

9. The only people who think bullying doesn’t happen in the Navy live above two deck, though I think it is greatly reduced now a days. I agree that if anyone is being bullied then they should report it. Bullying in the mess deck makes for a bad atmosphere and should be stamped out as soon as possible.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Agreed, bullying happens everywhere, not just the Armed Forces & at school.

I was actually bullied by my boss a few years back but didn't recognise it for what it was - strange as that may seem.

Basically I was micro-managed, every decision was questioned, my direction to the troops was contradicted despite the fact the person was only on his second sea draft, was clueless, but was in charge. The guy himself was a little weasel, the least likely person you would think was capable of bullying & doubtless unaware he was such a poor manager. He got investigated on several occasions, but surprise surprise nothing came of it. Never found out why but suspect the "brotherhood" featured somewhere along the way.

Last I heard was that another hacked-off senior rate was taking a civil action against him. Yes there are bullies out there, but they usually get what's coming to them eventually.

11. I read somewhere that in the RAF there was something like over 3000 cases of bullying reported last year , whereas with the navy it was 3, and army it was 1 case.
    Think it was in the papers last year.

12. Where the 2 out of the 3 done up the backside?

13. If you are not Scottish then you are an inferior race and are bound to be bullied.

On a more serious note, I certainly never saw any physical bullying. This is mainly due to the fact that you keep night watches on a ship filled with Samson bars. Even the biggest, meanest barsteward onboard has to sleep at some time.

You are always going to meet complete and utter wan*ers in any military unit you go to. Just ignore them when off duty and play the game if you have to work with them. If they are tos*sers you will have the insobordaination charge dropped when you eventually laugh in their face.

In my opinion you should feel bullied, harrassed and near breaking point during basic training to a certain extent - most of us need toughing up. How else do you learn the mental toughness needed to be able to work when someone is trying to kill you for real?

14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Entirely depends on how you define bullying and the sensitivity of the bully/bullied. What some regard as harmless banter will make another's life an absolute misery. I've had the corrective training of a quick slap around as a junior rate (though that very rarely happens anymore), but I firmly believe that I learned those lessons well (and quickly) and it made me a stronger person and better at my job. It definitely does still happen, though I believe not as much as it did 15 years+ past. I know I'll get stick for this too, but on one (if not both) of my last 2 ships the girls were the worst culprits.

15. Are you some sort of journo? Rather odd question - expecting people to post up their personal experiences of being bullied/harrased on a public forum IMO.

Oh - I don't think we have chavs in the mob - could be wrong there I s'pose...

16. That was a rather amusing and somewhat obvious bit of satire that you read. If you believed it, it says a lot about you.

17. Oh you poor thing!!
    FFS we are talking about people wanting to join the armed services here?
    or am I mistaken?
    There are ways and means of dealing with bullies in the service and in civilian life as well.
    Regarding the starter of this thread though it might be instructive to look at the other threads he has started and maybe "dont feed the Troll" :pukel:

18. I've never got bullied during my time in the mob and the discpline I received was due to be a gobsite when I was a baby sailor thinking I knew it all or when I fucked up cos I was an Idiot.

I learnt from my mistakes and matured because of it. I never saw much bullying on the ships I served on. Although there was one case which was boarding the line of bullying.

It's knowing the line of discipline (being called a lazy F*ck is not bullying in my eyes if you are a lazy f*ck) and where is crossing over to bullying. In my opinion that line is lowering all the time.

The Scummer incident with the doodle bug was a form of bullying. An instructor giving you a bollocking when necessary isn't.

19. Joe crow , i am aware of that joke bullying report that keeps appearing on arrse.But that was only written cos stats came out about how much more bullying goes on in the raf than the other 2 forces.

Dont worry , i aint thick enough to believe what report i think your talking about :thumright:

20. I don't think there's ever been bullying in the RN. OK people used to complain about getting maltreated, but once the young rating and the NCO had put their versions of events to the investigating officer, the case was dismissed and the rating's life wasn't worth living. Result: no one dared complain about bullying again. :threaten:

Call me cynical, but I suspect these days there are no reports of bullying because would-be complainants know the consequences: things would be ten times worse afterwards.

Right I'm off to the fallout shelter before I get duffed up my Ninja! ;)