'Bulling' of shoes work uniform

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by foxtrot, Jun 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was recently issued with my work uniform and told to polish only the ends of my steel toe capped boots.

Am i meant to bull the ends to a real shine or do you guys just give them a normal quick polish with a brush?

I don't want to tun up next week with a mirrored shine on my boots when nobody else will have done the same!

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Personal standards are just that - personal. If you think that is appropriate then bull them up.

But remember: you never get a second chance to create a first impression... :thumright:
  3. For your steaming bats it's best just to go over them with some regular Kiwi, no need for a mirror finish as they'll just get bashed to bits anyway (most likely).
  4. Dear oh dear Is this what we're down to?
    A soon to be pensioned off SR who served so few days afloat that he finds it difficult to remermber --advising a new entrant "Remember you never get a second chance to create a first impression"
    Cringe making?

Pass the sick bag.
  5. sgtpepperband

JAA: Keep the comments appropriate to the threads. This is not "Diamond Lil's" or "The Quarterdeck."
  6. But sadly as pathetic?
  7. bats and combat boots I'd advise brush polishing, they're going to get smashed to pieces anyway. shoes should always be shiny though, they look gash otherwise.
  8. All three of my former naval colleagues are lying in a darkened compartment fretting over the "brush polishing problems of the New Naval Entrants " Christ! We are unable to provide an answer.
    "Brush Polishing now appears to be the answer" Sorry we Oldun's have failed you yet again. Brush Polishing? More than we can cope with.
  9. sgtpepperband

So if you cannot cope with it, Grantham, I suggest you go elsewhere, where your talents would be more appreciated... I think you know where I am referring to. :?
  10. Ending a sentence in a preposition? Ouch!
  11. sgtpepperband

My God; a Pilot, a Doctor of Medicine and now a Professor of English Language... what the hell are doing, hanging around with the likes of us in Rum Ration?! 8O :pukel:
  12. I'll bull them and when they get smashed to bits i'll settle for a simple brush polish.

Thanks for the replies advising what the norm is.
  13. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Polish & bull the toes to a nice glass finish. After many years I still can't get a good finish and leave it to the Mrs who seems to be a expert.
  14. Does she offer classes to newbies? I think you could make a few bob there! :lol:
  15. Bull them well until you pass out of New Entry training. You won't scuff them much during your in-unit training and you'll be expected to keep them polished to a high standard during your 2 weeks at Raleigh.
  16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Your skating on thin ice talk'n about the other half :crash:

Lmao,,,she was a air cadet and took great pride in bulling her shoes. When she first seen my efforts, she took the piss and has bulled them eversince. No she has no time, after looking after me, to earn a extra few bob. :farao:
  17. Always remember

Shiny boots make for happy feet
  18. Good advice. My bats, boots and shoes were always in good nick due to daily bulling / polishing, and often commented on by hossifers. It's a good habbit to get into.
  19. Attempting, seemingly unsuccessfully. to correct the error of your ways.
    Throwing in the towel, I'm now off for a few months to my house in Sardegna. Will leave you in peace. Arriverderci
  20. I don't get it? Is everyone seriously bitching, or is everyone joking?

If it's serious, it seems unnecessary.