Bulling boots!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by busy_lizzie, Jun 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys new to this forum but thought someone might be able to help!
    I'm struggling to bull one of my boots. I'm using black kiwi polish, duster and hot water. The duster is damp with polish and a bit more water on it but as I rub it into the boot the water is being absorbed and the polish flakes off finely. I've tried leather conditioner incase the leather was dried out but it hasn't made a bit of difference. I've had these boots since October and never had any trouble bulling them till recently. Does anyone know what's causing it and how I can fix it?

Thanks in anticipation!

2. Ensure you boots are throughly dry before polishing also give 'em a wipe over to remove dust etc before starting.
    Trying to cover too large an area at once? Start at bottom right of the toe cap and in small circular motion apply a layer of polish.
    Dab , not soak, your cloth in water (I prefer room temp water.) and continue with a small circular action all around the toe cap.
    Worked for me on DMS and AP boots.
    No bloody good on the Zimmer frame though! :D

PS there's a gihuge thread on bulling boots on ARRSE, lots of tips from Guardsmen etc, (Not on daisy chains.)

3. Hey no prob

Just make sure your boot is clean and dry.

Use the yellow duster to apply your shoe polish with small circuls intil there is a thik coat.

Then get cotten wool and dip it into the water, with small circuls ontop of the she polish.
    once the shoe polish is going away apply more with the yellow duster.
    take of way wet cotten wool.

then repet this as meany times as you like..

wax on wax off.

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Paint them with varnish.

All other types of work boots should be dull, polish followed with a good rub of dubbin.

Just my opinion, I could never get the powers that be to see my way of thinking mind....

5. I do know how to bull boots and had no problems until about a month ago with one of my boots. It's partner is shining up fine but as I do this one the beads of water disapear in seconds and the polish flakes off in fine grains. I thought the leather might be dry so got a leather conditioner for it but it hasn't made a bit of difference. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I first noticed it after spending half a day in a smoke room. The other one's fine so it can't have been that.

6. Half a day in the smoke room - this is another fcukin wind up.

7. Swap them for a new pair and start again. Sorted. Boots...polished...done.

Next! 8)

8. Being a sad git, I actually have the relevant page stored on my work computer. So Monday morning I shall post it here. Basically the recommendations are as NZB says. However the Guardsmen recommend the sylvet cloth as opposed to the bog standard yellow duster (relevant link to supplier to follow).

9. I really think pusser should produce a you tube video showing how it is done. Charge punters £1 a download and use the MILLIONS raised to fill the beer fridges of all HM Ships weekly with free wets. :razz:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Get up early, check out all of your oppo's boots and swap them with the shiniest ones then it's their problem, piece of wee wee :lol: If they manage to get them bulled ask them how they did it.

11. Making footwear shine was one of several pointless things (see also divisions and PTIs) I'm glad are in my past.

I don't even iron stuff apart from for funerals and, God forbid, weddings these days.

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I thought I recognised you, Guzzler... 8O :D

[​IMG]

13. Curses, foiled again!

14. Thats fred the tramp, was a wolverhampton legend.

15. Thanks for all the help and advice. I've ordered selvyt cloth and went out to the jewellers yesterday and got a jewellers polishing cloth. However, I'm still left with the problem of one amazing boot and one boot that's extremely questionable. Is it possible to have damaged the leather? It's just odd that it's absorbing water and the polish is coming off in tiny flakes that aren't that visible. I might do what WreckerL suggests!

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Stand with one foot behind the other, then! :wink:

17. Try using a lighter gently heat the polish to give it a hard surface. Of course the leather may be wet and needs really drying out, over a period of time.

18. I find once you have bulled them, to get a really nice, deep lasting shine you should always spray a small amount of WD40 or PX24 onto the boot and use a toffee hammer to tap gently into the polish.

19. That guide's brilliant! I think that's my boot sorted thanks to everyone's help and spending a long long time on it. I've now got it looking a lot better!

Now my next thing is to find a white marker. Any suggestions?

I've tried all my local stationers but they can't help me :( google's been pretty unsuccessful unless you live in the US.