Bulger Killer Recalled To Prison For Breach Of Licence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tartan_Army_Sailor, Mar 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Link

Surely his anonymity should be waived now?

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Why? Who made you Home Secretary?

3. Who made you Ship's Cock?

Self Appointed?

4. Bit premature until its made known what he did to get sent back. Also if they were going to release his new details they may as well just shoot him as he'll have no chance of an ordinary life and will probably have to spend the rest of his life in a fortified property with 24hr police security. And no I'm no pinko liberal I just believe that we either attempt to rehabilitate people or destroy them, not waste the time and resources going 50% rehab 50% punishment which clearly (55% of convicts in the UK will reoffend) isn't working well. To quote the Joker in the Dark Knight, 'a logical society would either put me to work (killing) or kill me'.

5. yeah the kill him sounds good. Save thousand s of pounds per year by not keeping him in prison!!!

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

TAS: A worthy response to a serious topic in Current Affairs. Thanks for your contribution... :roll:

AM: I concur; and by divulging his details, what would be achieved? Some retribution by the victim's family no doubt. Or the likelihood that the lynch mob will cock it up and injure the wrong person. Or worse... But as heinous as his actions were, he is not the most dangerous criminal walking our streets. There are for more threats to society living in our communities, yet the local population have neither the need nor the right to know their identity or the reasons they went to prison. If they have been released (on licence or otherwise) then that is the informed opinion of the (then) Home Office/Ministry of Justice and the Parole Service. And whether we agree with that decision or not - for whatever reason - we have to respect that.

7. Should we not wait and see what he has done to breach his licence. It could
    be somthing like returning to Merseyside but if it is anything else then let rot
    in jail. After all he did take part in the killing of James Bulger and no ammount of time in jail will bring the victim back.

8. The 2 boys involved in this case were put into 'rehabilitation'; when it is possible, the government/prison system will place people into a rehab program, in hopes that they can return to some sort of normality.

To do this, the offenders were given new ID. Releasing that identity will only cause more issues and could inevitably relapse the offender. If the 'system' felt that these two males were not safe to society, they would not release them.

That's not me making excuses, that's what the system will say.

BBC news are running this story at the moment.

My own view is that the more dominant boy, should have been kept inside but then that's my own personal opinion.

Tartan_Army_Sailor, no need to get verbal.

9. It happened a few days ago, only just being let out to the press now.

There is no information as to how he broke his bail condition but it could have been anything from the smallest breach to higher.

I doubt we will ever know.

10. As enraging as it can be, unfortunately an independent judiciary is a necessary part of a genuine democracy. You don't have to agree with their judgements and you can counter them by voting for MPs and MEPs who campaign on legal reforms if you want change. Should judges start bowing to the will of the mob we might as well skip to the dictatorship/junta that will follow on its heels.

11. I am also suspicious of the fact the Ministry of Justice made this announcement, the guy is living under a new identity known only by a small number of people so surely he should now be treated as any other reoffender would be by the justice system.

That does not normally include a ministry of justice press release announcing a return to prison - I sincerely hope this was not an attempt to look tough on reoffenders on the day Gordon Brown launches a string of law and order policies.

12. Interesting point lonestar. Politics is politics and there are (as we all know) very few morals in politics.

13. totaly agree the lad comited murder and got treated like he never done nothing wrong, should be put in adult prison and see the rest of his days out there.

14. Sorry Jenny whilst I agree with much of your sentiment I and many others have little faith in the justice systems ability to determine when a convicted person is no longer a risk to society, particularly since Mr Blairs human rights laws seem to favour the criminals rather than the victim.

15. That's basic Psychology and what correctional facilities are about. The low point of this was how those boys parents had brought them up, age old argument for fault - 50% genetics and 50% environment. The lead boy (dominant one), came from a bad home, mind you the other boy did too but this Jon was the dom one out of them two.

Not any excuse but when a child has not been given the correct start in life, it effects them. They were young enough to try to turn them around and put them back out to society.

Their attack was pre-empted, well not on Jamie but they had it planned for another child. It was unlucky for Jamie that the child they originally went to target, became 'unattainable', so Jamie was lit a last min adjustment.

I personally feel that Jon shouldn't have been released and that he should have been left in jail.

16. I'm not really bothered much about what terms of his release he breached, this lad/young man was given a second chance by this country and as chosen 'to stick two finger's up at it'. I think this clearly demonstrates that those who chose to sign off on his release made a huge mistake. He is evidently not rehabilitated, otherwise he wouldn't have breached the terms of his release. I hope he enjoys the rest of his natural life behind bars where it is obvious that he belongs, IMHO. Let us not forget a small child was denied the rest of his life on this earth by this individual.

17. And that is why the justice system is based on rules and guidelines not emotional whims. You can not possibly say that "those who chose to sign off on his release made a huge mistake" without knowing what condition it is he has broken, furthermore what knowledge do you have to determine that he is not rehabilitated? What if the condition he has broken relates to a curfew, or a travel restriction - surely that is not the same as if he had been plotting to kidnap another child.

It is not in the public interest to publicise the details of this individual's dealings with the police. The only interest it serves is the sordid desire to cotinue the trial by media of 'celebrity criminals' even after injuctions have been passed to prevent it. The fact the government are playing along is disssapointing but hardly surprising with this lot.

Indeed they are endangering his and other people's lives by doing so, Alan Johnson saying "the public have a right to know" is just garbage, he is no longer John Venables he is Mr. XXXXX and the public spectacle should have ceased long ago. Deal with him on the merits of the case and his current behaviour/mental state, if he poses a risk keep him detained if not then deal with him appropriately.

18. Sorry, but, despite being very much in favour of rehabilitation and the use of alternatives to prison I think that in this case both were released far too early and should have had sevral years of adult prison just to show them what they would miss if they were not bad boys again. Release itself is not the propblem it is the descision process that leads to an individuals release that all too often seems faulty.

19. Actually, I think it was Robert Thompson who was the more dominant of the two.

Interestingly, when he was interviewed by the police, Thompson said something like “I didn’t do it. If I wanted to kill someone I could have killed my younger brotherâ€

I always thought it odd that nobody seemed to pick up on that at the time.

20. lonestar, you are very correct in your posting.

If the boy were deemed not ready to re-enter society, medical wouldn't have signed them off. They go through extensive psychological testings etc.

I've said before, he is on bail, so the slightest grievance and they'd drag him back in. It's not been said what he has done to re-offend his bail conditions and I doubt it will ever be released.

I am not heartless, I know a poor baby lost his life and I will never forget that. But if Jon is to be pestered, it could, ineffectively, cause a relapse...............