Buckwheat Harris

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by janner, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Received from the Plymouth branch of the Submariners Association

Sadly I am the barer of the news of the passing of one of our most esteemed members!

Donald (Buckwheat) Harris, in his 80's, was taken into Derriford Hospital , Plymouth , on Monday 4th Feb.

He passed away during last night (Tues/Weds).

No other details at the present time; but will be forwarded when more is known.

Most people will know 'Buckwheat' as a loveable rogue, and a character of characters amongst submariners, (both aged & not so aged), probably best known for his antics; but above all, for his loyalty and dedication to his many Commanding Officers!

He will be sadly missed by so many!

I'm sure there are many on the forum that have fond memories of Buckwheat, maybe they will share them.

RIP mate the world will be a sadder place without characters like you.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. SAD MODE

One can only hope that he is running his particular God ragged as he did to many and varied Grunter's and Coxswains.

May his Soul rest in Peace.

One can only hope that the like of Buck Wheat will continue to be found in the Submarine Service of the Royal Navy to maintain the fine tradition irreverent humor that separates us from many other branches of the Service.

Nutty

4. RIP Buckwheat - a true submarine legend.
    I remember a dit the late Gus Britton told me of him: when he came up for discharge, the wardroom wined him, dined him and the Skipper waited on him, as was due. Before he left, he declared " I've left a little of me behind - so you remember Ol'Harris".
    Couple of days later, after the smell had permeated the whole boat, a telegram was sent - "We know what it is, but where did you leave it ?". The kipper nailed to the underside of the wardroom table - gets 'em every time....

5. Funeral service will be held at Weston Mill Crematorium, Plymouth on Monday February 18th at 1530.