Buckfast Vintage Rum

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by RNFLUNKY, Jan 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All you old seadogs ever come across Buckfast Vintage Rum 97%? My Mum works in a nursing home in Pompey and one of the old boys use to be a Matelot. He has a bottle which is numbered 10. It is also signed. I dont know who by. I will try to get more info if anyone can shed light on this old tipple. I have Googled it but no joy.

Cheers Shipmates...... :thumright:

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I grew up not far from Buckfast abbey where they make the wine (stick the labels on) Never heard of them making Rum though, perhaps it was a "special" to commemerate something?

3. Thanks. You are probably right

4. Well, you may be better off reading this!

I've hunted high and low and can't find any reference to Buckfast Rum though, sorry :)

5. Remember hearing that 50 percent of the entire worldwide sales of 'Buckie' were in Lanarkshire. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I was in my local village shop when several of the local troops were stocking up on the demon drink for the (hour!) bus journey to the football a few Saturdays ago. Needless to say several bottles of Buckfast Abbeys finest were purchased. These lads aren't chavs or nutters by any means,all well paid jobs in Edinburgh. The legend that is 'Buckie' is that common a tipple in Scotland (surprise surprise!) Can't stand the bloody stuff myself and haven't heard of the rum version!

6. Cheers peeps