Buccaneer crash Tain range 1965

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello out their i would dearly like to see the accident report of the above crash L/T CDR Watson and L/T Hulme still cant believe it happened after all this time / any ideas/ cheers Scouse
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Buccaneer crash Tain range 1966

I don't know the details of this one, but in 1963 at Tain I watched a Buc 1 (of the squadron then commanded by Lyn Middleton) piloted by one Joe Billingham come barrelling in at fifty feet and take out a small brick out-house with 25lb practice bombs. I would imagine such an exercise could too easily go wrong.
  3. thanks timex i put the info of the crash on this site some years ago
  4. thanks seaweed i can remember Lyn Middleton being the C/O of the squadron i think after Spiv Leahy what a legend in my eyes he did his pre flight checks tapping the fuselage with his silver tipped black walking stick. their is a good book called Bit of a Tiff which tells of the ejections of Lyn Middleton from Hms Eagle in 1956 from 2 Seahawks 897/899 squadrons the first being underwater as the ship passed over him the seconed one being dunked in the sea when the cat broke on launch all the best/scouse
  5. seaweed their is a picture with Lyn Middleton seated with 12 other pilots in my photograph see 700z smooth boys na39 regards scouse
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Buccaneer crash Tain range 1966

I was on a four-week Air Weapons course at Lossie 1963 - there was a haar on & not much doing for us so a visit to Lyn's Bucs was organised. When my turn came round I climbed into the back seat and an Aussie climbed into the front. Sqn bod climbed up beside us & started explanations. Aussie says 'What's this button?' Sqn bod says 'that's the fire extinguisher.' 'Oh' says Aussie, 'I just pressed it.' End of Buc tour. Engine change I think.

We got slung off a Vulcan as well when the Crab showing us round found out that one of his audience was a South African.
  7. I have found out the possibly reason for this a/c demise and lose of life pm me if still searching / david parry in confidence