BTEC National Diploma

slim

War Hero
Lloyd245 said:
Ok, thanks for all the advice people :) I'll probably contact the AFCO and see what they have to say.

Most sensible thing you have said so far, however instead of probably you should have said definitely :p

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
For Officer selction, as well as 5 GCSE's A-C(including Maths & English)
the minimum standard for UCAS points is 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.

The constraints are that:

1. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
2. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
3. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

The minimum for each contributing subject is now 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

1. A-Level Grade E;
2. AS-level GradeC;
3. Scottish Higher Grade D;
4. Scottish Intermediate any grade.

The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

You cannot add AS & A level UCAS points in the same subject & the subjects must include at least two non-overlapping subjects scoring over 45.

The grades that count are:

A Level/Advanced Highers: A=120, B=100, C=80, D=60
AS Levels: A=60, B=50
Scottish Highers: A=72, B=60, C=48

BTEC Certificates are only valid at level 3 (Distinction, Merit grade pass or better).

BTEC Diploma (Merit, Merit, Merit)

All BTECs, HNDs must be verified by the Admiralty Interview Board as accepted non-overlapping subjects of sufficient academic content.

Lloyd245

Ok, thanks alot :)

I'm doing a BTEC Diploma (Level 3), and should be getting Distinction, Distinction, Distinction. So I suppose it depends on whether the AIB classes the course as non-overlapping, and what job I want to go for in the RN.

Cheers!

RoxyLite

Midshipman
slim said:
Why is it when a newbie asks a question people who do NOT know the answer persist in giving an answer? A wrong or imagined answer is of no use at all.
Hopefully one of the recruiters will answer this correctly, or the original poster could get off their arse and contact their AFCO :twisted:

Allright calm down! I have a National Diploma myself and remember phoning the AFCO & asking, but as mine was vocational they said it wasnt suitable but some of the BTEC's are, so it wasnt imagined, just letting him know there was hope.

slim

War Hero
RoxyLite said:
slim said:
Why is it when a newbie asks a question people who do NOT know the answer persist in giving an answer? A wrong or imagined answer is of no use at all.
Hopefully one of the recruiters will answer this correctly, or the original poster could get off their arse and contact their AFCO :twisted:

Allright calm down! I have a National Diploma myself and remember phoning the AFCO & asking, but as mine was vocational they said it wasnt suitable but some of the BTEC's are, so it wasnt imagined, just letting him know there was hope.

About as much hope as the cat on a submarine getting a catflap

fish21

Midshipman
Hi Lloyd just thought i'd put my input in as i had the same worry as you. i originally was going to go in at officer level, and i have a BTEC National Diploma 3 Merits in Art, which is clearly a pointless subject :) my point if they take a BTEC in art i'm pretty sure yours would be accepted.

Waspie

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
For Officer selction, as well as 5 GCSE's A-C(including Maths & English)
the minimum standard for UCAS points is 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.

The constraints are that:

1. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
2. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
3. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

The minimum for each contributing subject is now 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

1. A-Level Grade E;
2. AS-level GradeC;
3. Scottish Higher Grade D;
4. Scottish Intermediate any grade.

The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

You cannot add AS & A level UCAS points in the same subject & the subjects must include at least two non-overlapping subjects scoring over 45.

The grades that count are:

A Level/Advanced Highers: A=120, B=100, C=80, D=60
AS Levels: A=60, B=50
Scottish Highers: A=72, B=60, C=48

BTEC Certificates are only valid at level 3 (Distinction, Merit grade pass or better).

BTEC Diploma (Merit, Merit, Merit)

All BTECs, HNDs must be verified by the Admiralty Interview Board as accepted non-overlapping subjects of sufficient academic content.

You heard it here first folks.

Now, look, listen and digest the information from a man who does this for a living!!!

You know it makes sense. :wink: