BTEC National Diploma

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lloyd245, Jun 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently studying a BTEC National Diploma IT Practitioners (a computer technical subject with some business), along with a CISCO CCNA Networking Qualfication (not sure if this counts for anything). At the end of the course I should come out with 360 UCAS points. I fulfill all the GCSE requirements, and I'm going to study computer based degree at university after I've finished my course.

My question is, do you think the BTEC National Diploma will be accepted if I want to join the RN as an Officer? I heard that only 2 A Levels (or equivalent) are accepted in 2 non-overlapping subjects :(.
  2. i belive that a BTEC diplmoa should count but check with the AFCO i mean the qualification is higher than an A level right?
  3. No, I think its an equivalent
  4. Why not wait until someone who KNOWS the answer responds?
    Though a BTEC may be regarded as superior to A levels for some jobs, this may or may not be the case for RN occifer acceptance.

If you do not know the answer.........ZIP IT! :twisted:
  5. I take it you mean a BTEC HND, not an OND?

Edited to add BTEC level 4 maths is A level equivalent IIRC (HND/HNC level maths)
  6. Hmm, I'm pretty sure that a HND is more of a foundation degree rather than an A Level. :?
  7. As I said, depends what level you take in the maths module
  8. Is it the BTEC National Diploma? When I spoke to the AFCO a while back when I was still at college, they just said that it goes on a case by case basis for them, with the IT one I would imagine that you would be fine as it is very academic as well as practical, unlike alot of the diplomas like fine art! Worth getting in touch anyhow and asking :)
  9. Why is it when a newbie asks a question people who do NOT know the answer persist in giving an answer? A wrong or imagined answer is of no use at all.
    Hopefully one of the recruiters will answer this correctly, or the original poster could get off their arse and contact their AFCO :twisted:
  10. Lloydd245. Whilst at college I did a BTEC in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, I then went to uni to study aerospace engineering. On completion of my degree I started my application to join the Navy and after passing my AIB I am joining up in September. So in short, you will be fine! My AFCO had to check with the guys in Plymouth, but I didn't hear anything about it after that. Best thing is to check with the AFCO and they should be able to give you a definite answer. Good luck!
  11. hertsme
    Your situation is completely different to Lloyds, you started your application after gaining your Degree
    From previous replies to this question from the recruiters my opinion is that his BTEC will not be counted as A levels, however that is only an opinion and the only way to get a reliable answer is either wait for the Nonja or Mario to answer the question.
    However the advice given at the end of your post to contact his AFCO is the best and only sensible advice given by a newbie so far.
  12. Here goes...

A BTEC National Diploma holds UCAS points but it is at the discretion of the AFCO whether or not they wish to put your application forward (it usually depends on the subject of the Diploma, so take heed Uniformed Services students...). On the other hand, a HND does not hold UCAS points because it is a University course in itself, in the way that a Degree does not hold UCAS points (UCAS stands for University & College Admissions Service). Ergo, if a course is already conducted by a University, it cannot hold University admission points.

I know this because I have a HND but am not eligible for Officer training. I'm also currently working in an AFCO so I have the technology to rebuild him...or
  13. Ok, thanks for all the advice people :) I'll probably contact the AFCO and see what they have to say.
  14. Most sensible thing you have said so far, however instead of probably you should have said definitely :p
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For Officer selction, as well as 5 GCSE's A-C(including Maths & English)
    the minimum standard for UCAS points is 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.

The constraints are that:

1. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
    2. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
    3. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

The minimum for each contributing subject is now 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

1. A-Level Grade E;
    2. AS-level GradeC;
    3. Scottish Higher Grade D;
    4. Scottish Intermediate any grade.

The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at

You cannot add AS & A level UCAS points in the same subject & the subjects must include at least two non-overlapping subjects scoring over 45.

The grades that count are:

A Level/Advanced Highers: A=120, B=100, C=80, D=60
    AS Levels: A=60, B=50
    Scottish Highers: A=72, B=60, C=48

BTEC Certificates are only valid at level 3 (Distinction, Merit grade pass or better).

BTEC Diploma (Merit, Merit, Merit)

All BTECs, HNDs must be verified by the Admiralty Interview Board as accepted non-overlapping subjects of sufficient academic content.
  16. Ok, thanks alot :)

I'm doing a BTEC Diploma (Level 3), and should be getting Distinction, Distinction, Distinction. So I suppose it depends on whether the AIB classes the course as non-overlapping, and what job I want to go for in the RN.

17. Allright calm down! I have a National Diploma myself and remember phoning the AFCO & asking, but as mine was vocational they said it wasnt suitable but some of the BTEC's are, so it wasnt imagined, just letting him know there was hope.
  18. About as much hope as the cat on a submarine getting a catflap
  19. Hi Lloyd just thought i'd put my input in as i had the same worry as you. i originally was going to go in at officer level, and i have a BTEC National Diploma 3 Merits in Art, which is clearly a pointless subject :) my point if they take a BTEC in art i'm pretty sure yours would be accepted.
  20. You heard it here first folks.

Now, look, listen and digest the information from a man who does this for a living!!!

You know it makes sense. :wink: