BSSC 5 DAY COURSE

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by SpliceTheMainbrace, Apr 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondered what the BSSC course entails? Anyone recently been on one care to shed some light onto it?

2. I think its about
    1 day sea survival- throwing yourself in horsea island lake and paddling about in a liferaft
    3 days firefighting- doddle in the new gas rigs
    1/2 day of bein gassed and NBC shenaigans
    1/2 day of shoring and flooding in the DRIU - getting wet again

I think anyways, i did ISSC about 2 yrs ago which is similar

3. Correct, I did it a month ago and it is great fun.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I taught it, but think everyone has just about got it right: You get wet.

5. Well at least you don't end up on the receiving end of a sullage refill any more.......

That was amusing!

6. Trapping your instructor and still being stuck with that person 11 and a half years later!

7. Thanks! I haven't done firefighting and I haven't been gassed yet. The rest I've done when I did my 2 weeks at HMS Raleigh.

8. We, unfortunately, used to skip the being gassed bit due to a lack of respirators on issue to RNR personnel.

I believe this is changing/has changed.

9. Yup, its now some sort of rule that all reservists have to be issued with anti-gas respirators because they don't like giving them out on the BSSC.

I expect the regulars would probably be able to correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe that normally the regulars get ALL their kit and gear issued during their basic training at HMS Raleigh. So when reserves go to do their BSSC the stores personnel are often unhappy about giving away their precious respirators. How did that famous line go? "Stores are for storing, not for issuing".

I've been told that its now impossible to get on a BSSC without an AGR, and if anybody does somehow manage to appear without one, they'll simply be returned to unit.

10. Shortly about to do mine too Splice!! At least the weather is not too cold so the dip in Horsey won't be as bad as it can be.

SF

11. So what happens post-mobilisation when you turn up to the front without a respirator or any idea of how to wear one?

12. Easy,you die.

13. Don't know if this is strictly true - I think if you arrive without AGR you will complete everything else but will fail the course due to inability to complete the CBRN aspect (I know that was the score with ISSC a few years ago)

14. You get one as part of the mobilisation process.

15. Pretty sure that's not compulsory.

Hope not anyway....

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a former instructor, I can confirm it's not compulsory to trap them. Never happened to me, but then I'm rats.

17. BSSC is by far the best course you get to do in the RNR.

18. LOL Andy. x

19. Great course!!!!! 5 days of fun, fun, fun! Loved the firefighting never done it before the rest I have done before. Got gassed for the first time, so at least I know now my rezzy works! haha. The best course I have been on so far.

20. Did my 10s course in Pompey 1990 , great fun , dont have a clue what it's like now , fxxxxxxxxxxxg cold in the unit though , bbbbbbrrrrrrrggggg :cry: