Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the UK

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Aug 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

all of them?

Far more than the 91 'terps are involved. At what stage does working for the British cease to be a reason to allow them unrestricted leave to immigrate?

2. This whole episode is a sign of the endemic xenophobia and lack of awareness of the Home Office(independent of whether that is a good or a bad thing). It is syptomatic of a department of incompetent jobsworths run with blind and ineffectual policymaking. This is an extension to the treatment of Gurkhas and is deplorable. What makes it all the worse, is that it was hardly going to be a surprise to the Hime Office that the Iraqi interpreters (and their families) were going to be targeted by the militias.

3. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

Gurkha's and families first please thank you very much :threaten:

4. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

If a person and his family are going to under threat of death then yes ALL of them. These are the ones who have already served the UK and shown a certain amount of loyalty.
    How many failed asylum seekers have we here? Solution deport the failed asylum seekers and there will be more than enough space and money for real asylum seekers.

5. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

Why not simultaneously. The Gurkha's should be given citizenship on completion of pensionable service automatically (my view).

6. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

Absolutely agree and I still haven't seen a single argument why not.

7. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

Did you hear the numbers that are talked about? In excess of 15000, plus families?

Ah yes, the usual hobby horse.

Why not also throw out those millions of teenage mothers who got pregnant for the sole reason of getting a council house, that must free up a lot of resource as well.

Anyway. Whilst I have some sympathy with the situation, they went into the situation with their eyes open. They knew their own culture, and the consequences of their actions.

8. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

Yes I read the article an saw the 15000 figure. So what do you suggest leaving them to a near certain death?

As for failed asylum seekers, they are just that, failed and should be returned. Other countries would put them in prison until they deported them.

As for the teenage moms, if you want to start a new post please feel free to do so

9. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

That's a very naive thing to say. DESPITE the threat to themselves and their families, they still supported our forces in situ. Least we can do is to help them.

10. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

Governments in general rarely demonstrate much loyalty to those who have helped them, there are plenty of examples of people being left exposed by the very states they sought to support.

Each one of us is also in that situation, just how expendable would any of us have been in the event that a decision hadto be made about losing us, at the expense of anything else. The many submariners here with experience of the cold war presumably have no illusions about the risks of the trade, and the consequences had their operations gone wrong.

Realpolitik, which probably means that the print media drive the agenda in this case.

My thought is that the 91 'terps will be allowed in, many of the others will be left to fend for themselves.

11. Personally, I can't see a problem and feel that the Danish approach is the most honourable one. As for Governments showing loyalty, the US and Denmark, to name the two doing the round in the media, have shown their loyalty to their supporters.

And as an ex-submariner myself, I would certainly hope that my "sacrifice" would have been carried out on a premise greater than the say-so of some half-baked, and xenophobic home office policy.

12. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

Personally I'm pretty torn on this one. Inherently I don't see a problem with immigration and the free movement of people. However I'm not keen on blanket policies based on knee-jerk reactions to a rather hypocritical right wing press.

Would the fact it would probably have been an FCO decision make it any more palatable?

What's interesting in this case is the same HO policy is heavily influenced by the vocally xenophobic media who're now championing this issue. These publications claim to speak for the silent majority and would rather throw up the walls of Fortress Victorian England and keep out all the filthy furriners.

13. Karma
    It's my belief that the residents of the UK have no problems with foreigners coming here, working, and paying taxes. The problem occur when they come here, do not work (either because they do not want to or are not allowed to) and become a liability to the country. Now UK PLC has no money, it's money belongs to it's share holders, in this case those who pay tax. Perhaps a fairer way of governing this country would be to allow those that pay (or have paid ) tax to have a greater say in the way that the country is governed.

14. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

You mean a bit like representative democracy?

Or alternatively move towards total, individual democracy with the associated bread and circuses effect?

We could all spend our time voting, instead of actually being economically productive.

15. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

Not at all. Perhaps those paying (or have paid tax for a period to be determined) should have two votes instead of one. Why should those who put nothing into the economy have a say in how it's run? However as this is a hard won right then instead of removing it give those who work and support those who don't an extra vote. Would be interesting to see how the political parties responded to the electorate then.

16. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

That the one Slim Bring back the pole tax. Don't pay Don't Vote. Brilliant what?
    :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

17. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

How about proportional voting subject to the amount of tax one pays?

Perhaps a system similar to that espoused by Heinlen in Starship Troopers, only those who have completed a period of government service are allowed the franchise?

It's still representative democracy though isn't it? Any democratic system falls prey to the bread and circuses problem at some stage though, you're just talking about selecting the electorate on the basis of being one of us.

Case in point.

18. I for one would have no problems with the number of votes being decided by how much tax a person paid.
    i.e.
    Non Tax payer 1 vote
    £1.00 to £10,000 per annum 2 Votes
    £10,000 to 100,000 per annum 3 Votes
    Over £100,000 per annum 4 votes

Remember those on higher rate taxation pay less proportionally of their earnings in tax and many through clever accounting legally evade paying some tax.

In the bad old days to get the vote you had to be a householder.

19. Re: Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the

I think that you'll find that it remains more proportionally, the nature of a sliding scale tax system, but that the greater ones net worth the greter the opportunity to invest and gain income from routes which allow a reduciton in liability.

Of course one could take the view that investing cash in this way has a net benefit since it contributes to the economy in other ways.

And be male, and if you go further back you had to be a land-owner, or a noble.