Brought a property but log burner has no paperwork or certs

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by dsgrnmcm, Aug 28, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Evening gents,

    We have just purchased a property in GUZZ, we had a local firm come out to check the chimney and log burner.

    That found that it was to big for the fire place, out of spec for building regs and no inspection plate on the chimney.

    We spoke to the estate agents they said for us to go speak to the seller himself, he's not playing ball. Also we are with holding £980 pounds that we owe him for some furniture he left in for us.

    We offered him less of the £980 to compensate for a log burner that we can not use.

    Do I have a leg to stand on if he / we use solicitors?

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. I'm sorry, because I can't help you - but here in Spain, we just pop along to our local ironmonger / Spanish B&Q / or fire shop, buy a woodburner and pop it in the house. Done.

    Do you REALLY have to have paperwork for them in the UK? And how can it be too big - serious question! On a cool winter night you can't beat the smell of burning olive wood!
  3. We need paper work for our insurance, and it failed. Size is the clearances between the unit and fire place etc.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. janner

    janner War Hero Book Reviewer

    Why not get a price for putting it right, ie new burner properly installed, then send him the bill. You might check with the planning people to see what his legal standing is for the stove not being properly installed. A properly licensed installer might be able to give you some pointers. Good luck.
  5. Did you get a proper survey done before you bought the property? If so, your claim should be against the surveyor.

    (By the way, not a "survey" done by a building society which really looks at the overall value of the property in case you default on the mortgage)
  6. WS - it was a HSBC survey by a local surveyor.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. On a normal Homebuyers Report the surveyor will be covered by frequently using the phrase "recommend that the wiring/plumbing/heating/woodburner is inspected by a qualified specialist" or similar. If it says this in yours and you didn't I don't think you have a leg to stand on.
    My recent experience of having work done over the last few years is that the issue of building regs is only relevant when a. you know something doesn't comply or b. you want a qualified tradesman to do work and he has to comply (you must insist he complies) with the regs.
    was mention of it made in the questionnaires? Did any paperwork about the wood burner come with the rest of the paperwork? If it did check when and who installed it and whether it complied with the then current regs. Where there's blame there may be the possibility of a claim!!

  8. Did your surveyor notice any problems with the rest of the house?
    Was the bathroom complete and fitted with a toilet/W.C. or even an oriental hole in ground?
    I have never owned a log burner and have always disposed of my Logs by flushing them away down the loo.
    I realise that in certain third world countries logs are dried and then burnt but had not realised the practice was spreading to the West
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Was the log burner specifically included in the sale agreement? If so there is a contractual breach and either a solicitors letter outlining appropriate recompense or small claims court.
    If your surveyor produced a full survey then there may be a claim for their failings but not usually if you relied on home buying survey alone.
    I would be tempted to get a second estimate for costs involved in correction.
  10. There should have been an application submitted for this installation, and upon completion, the work had to be "signed off", otherwise I think you will find that
    the property is also in breach of the updated fire regs.
    Estate agents description of the property included this log burner? They should
    have checked it out more thoroughly in my opinion. If you chase up any planning
    requests via Plymouth City Council for the property and no such planning permission exists, you may well have to rip the lot out and make good in accordance with their big book of instructions.

    Good luck mate,

  11. You could try contacting the manufacturer and asking them for specs such as the required clearances around the woodburner, also the gap between the top of it and the chimney breast. Does it require a full length flue (advisable) or a throat plate? An inspection and report by a registered installer is probably your best bet, if it's wrongly installed the costs should be recoverable from the previous owner of the property.
  12. Cheers billy and taff,

    The size of burner is to big for the fire place, I'll be contacting the council for building application but there won't be one. Just a pain in the arse.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. I truly cannot believe any of the above! What a load of PC bollix! Clearances? The idea is that the inserted (if that's what it is) woodburner heats up the bricks/stones for slow heat release.

    In the (very!) unlikely event that I ever return to the UK a woodburner will be coming with me - so much gash wood and palletts lying around everywhere!
  14. You should have 4 to 6" clearance either side of the burner for air flow, burner should have the manufacturers details on, and you should be able to download the fitting instructions which will give you this information.

    As for the chimney, get it checked out, if its clay lined brick in good condition, I would leave it, as this will help heat up the chimney breast upstairs (as good as a radiator, our last house was like this, never has the heating on in the two bedrooms the chimney breast split, current house has a steel sleeve in the chimney, not nearly as good as the clay/brick for heating upstairs)
  15. Something else you might want to consider, a heat powered wood burning Stove Top Fan, you loose most of your heat up the chimney, one of these little fans, can make 1 or 2 deg difference in the room as it gently circulates the hot air from the stove top into the room
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ...or else you could take it all out, reinstate the original fireplace, order one of these:-


    .......and you should have a nice crackling log fire that'll last for about seven years.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ah SB you are the one talking bollocks. It all depends on the make or design of the woodburner. I have two in our house, the one requires a clearance both sides (10") and above(18"), the other can be flush fitted if required.
  18. I'll give you that I didn't make clear about the two types of wood burner, insert and stand-alone, but I cannot believe the PC/HSE police are involved to such an extent.
  19. Nor can I really, it does seem that things are a bit over complicated and advice from a local installer would probably solve the problem.
  20. janner

    janner War Hero Book Reviewer

    I say again!

Share This Page