Broken Hand Fter falling from bike

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by mcyates, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,

I broke my hand after falling off my bike going down a steel hill. Anyway i had two ,metal plates to into my hand on Wednesday and was given a sick note for 4 weeks. I rung nelson up and they told me to come down as I'm still fit to travel

I'm just wondering im on a ship and will i be able to sleep on board tonight with a broken hand which is in a splint. Also im going to get downgraded so what shitty jobs do you think i'll get? I've never been downgraded in my life lol, been kin 9 1/2 years now.
  2. I reckon its heads duty for you me old mate, :D seriously though you should get light dutys as was in our days, 8)
  3. You will first of all have to see a doc (do that today if possible). He/she will decide what your medical downgrade category should be, and what limitations you have. It is likely that you will be considered incapable of climbing ladders safely, and will therefore be unlikely to be allowed to go on-board your ship. If you are going to remain downgraded for more than three months, you may be drafted off. The shitty jobs you are likely to be given depend somewhat on your skills, but sitting around with the SAs seems to be a favourite for those who remain part of the ship's company but aren't allowed on board. If you get sent inboard, the gym and the sickbay seem to be the norm for those who can't be employed within their own branch.
  4. a The ship might say that it won't limit you and let you on board. Depends on the ship, what it's doing and whether there are any spare people.

b You might be able to put in for a temp job with your local Careers Office.
  5. The ship is doing an ftsp for the next month.

im still on leave i go back tonight. i still have full movement in my hand, just with a plastic splint on. Im seeing the sickbay tomorrow morning, first thing. Dont think my boss will be too pleased with me. Im a LET(ME) by the way.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ooh, it's just like "Little Howards BIG Question" on CBBC, my favourite program. (The latest titled: "What the gibbing flump are you on about Doris?")

I suppose it depends on my much of a 'hurtie' it is, but my guess is that if it doesn't hurt too much you should get to sleep OK. :wink:
  7. lol good one.
  8. P7R(D) for 6 weeks, IMHO.

Waterfront Manning Office will sort out a job for you - you'll not be on board Ship.