Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken Hand Fter falling from bike

mcyates

Midshipman
hi,

I broke my hand after falling off my bike going down a steel hill. Anyway i had two ,metal plates to into my hand on Wednesday and was given a sick note for 4 weeks. I rung nelson up and they told me to come down as I'm still fit to travel

I'm just wondering im on a ship and will i be able to sleep on board tonight with a broken hand which is in a splint. Also im going to get downgraded so what shitty jobs do you think i'll get? I've never been downgraded in my life lol, been kin 9 1/2 years now.

Joe_Crow

War Hero
You will first of all have to see a doc (do that today if possible). He/she will decide what your medical downgrade category should be, and what limitations you have. It is likely that you will be considered incapable of climbing ladders safely, and will therefore be unlikely to be allowed to go on-board your ship. If you are going to remain downgraded for more than three months, you may be drafted off. The shitty jobs you are likely to be given depend somewhat on your skills, but sitting around with the SAs seems to be a favourite for those who remain part of the ship's company but aren't allowed on board. If you get sent inboard, the gym and the sickbay seem to be the norm for those who can't be employed within their own branch.

soleil

War Hero
a The ship might say that it won't limit you and let you on board. Depends on the ship, what it's doing and whether there are any spare people.

b You might be able to put in for a temp job with your local Careers Office.

mcyates

Midshipman
The ship is doing an ftsp for the next month.

im still on leave i go back tonight. i still have full movement in my hand, just with a plastic splint on. Im seeing the sickbay tomorrow morning, first thing. Dont think my boss will be too pleased with me. Im a LET(ME) by the way.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
mcyates said:
I'm just wondering im on a ship and will i be able to sleep on board tonight with a broken hand which is in a splint.

Ooh, it's just like "Little Howards BIG Question" on CBBC, my favourite program. (The latest titled: "What the gibbing flump are you on about Doris?")

I suppose it depends on my much of a 'hurtie' it is, but my guess is that if it doesn't hurt too much you should get to sleep OK. :wink:

mcyates

Midshipman
Ninja_Stoker said:
mcyates said:
I'm just wondering im on a ship and will i be able to sleep on board tonight with a broken hand which is in a splint.

Ooh, it's just like "Little Howards BIG Question" on CBBC, my favourite program. (The latest titled: "What the gibbing flump are you on about Doris?")

I suppose it depends on my much of a 'hurtie' it is, but my guess is that if it doesn't hurt too much you should get to sleep OK. :wink:

lol good one.

A

angrydoc

P7R(D) for 6 weeks, IMHO.

Waterfront Manning Office will sort out a job for you - you'll not be on board Ship.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Royal Navy medical, Broken hand, problem? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
G Broken hand Health & Fitness 7
K Previous broken bones, can they stop me getting in? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Press release: James Brokenshire announces overhaul of broken housing complaints system MoD News 0
R Broken bones and metal plates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
trelawney126 Broken waters in Devon The Gash Barge 4
T Broken Back Health & Fitness 18
T 'Queen concerned that United Kingdom will be broken up' Current Affairs 15
Good CO Short term broken forum links - known issue Site Issues 0
P Broken leg Health & Fitness 5
S Broken Resolve Diamond Lil's 2
T Broken linky in site menu to donations Site Issues 1
sgtpepperband Broken Britain: "Patience of a saint" Current Affairs 21
L Broken toe.......Gutted Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
_Tim_ I had a broken ankle Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
S Disarming Britain & Kids, Knives and Broken Lives Current Affairs 7
T More government promises broken to PTSD Veterans Current Affairs 0
SILVER_FOX HAS THE MILITARY COVENANT BEEN BROKEN? Current Affairs 1
rosinacarley Broken Military Covenant Current Affairs 19
golden_rivet I'm broken hearted The Quarterdeck 3
PartTimePongo Blair will leave Brown to pick up the pieces in broken Iraq Current Affairs 0
SONAR-BENDER Helping hand...... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Home Secretary sees first-hand the science supporting UK police MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Walking with the Wounded volunteers get a helping hand MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield lab creates hand sanitiser for site and communities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dounreay lends a hand to the Highlands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dounreay lends a hand to the Higlands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKAEA’s helping hand for the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second-hand car dealers banned for 14 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC prioritise applications to use denatured alcohol in hand sanitising products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield's helping hand for gardening charity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World Elephant Day: UK gives a helping hand to iconic mammals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Mother Nature given helping hand by HS2’s Green Corridor MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: World Wildlife Day: A helping hand to turtles and mangroves MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Helping hand to set up new businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Helping hand to set up new businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: A helping hand to set up new businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Report 18/2018: Runaway hand trolley at Ramsbottom MoD News 0
W Leading Hand Supply Chain - Opening? RFA 6
vauxhall A Helping Hand Finance & Pensions 0
L HMS Sultan AET Training/ Leading Hand Fast Track Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
J Promotion To leading hand Joining the Royal Navy 11
BoxKickerSubs Hand made fishing rods. Sports and Adventure Training 1
D Seamanship apprenticeship or Leading Hand Helicopter Controller? RFA 6
W LEADING HAND SUPPLY CHAIN (RFA) Or SEAMANSHIP APPRENTICE (RFA) ? RFA 4
N RFA Interview - Leading Hand Supply Chain Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
WelshJaffaCake RFA LEADING HAND SUPPLY CHAIN RFA 4
F CDT-Second Hand Smoke Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS News story: A First Hand Account of VJ Day by Vic Knibb MoD News 0
muskovardo When to hand in notice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16