Broken bones and metal plates

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Roscoetanner86, Aug 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm due to start basic training at the end of the year but since my medical/fitness test I broke my collarbone which resulted in getting some screws and metal plates. Do I need to tell someone and will it stop me from joining? Cheers in advance.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. You need to tell your afco straight away, otherwise when you have your next medical/inspection you will look like a liar, I'm not too sure on how it will affect your progress, but you need to be honest with your afco. They will find out one way or another. Good luck.

3. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

You definitely need to tell them asap, only then can someone appropriate assess your injury and tell you if it will be a issue or not.

Best of luck.

4. You'd better waiting for a response from AD or NS, my AFCO told me to ditch football incase of any injury which would result in a years deferral. As Lauren said let your AFCO straight away as it may look like you weren't honest on your medical form.

5. Yes tell your AFCO.

Yes it will delay you, as you have a healing fracture. Running around with a bergan on will be a tad uncomfortable at the mo, I'd suggest!

6. Tell them!! They will need medical notes on it from the hospital .. Details about it .. I have 2 metal plates in my arm and I've passed basic and now I'm at sultan in phase 2 so doesn't mean you can't join... One girl lied about a condition in our group and she was going home second day in Raleigh

7. To save a thread - similar topic.

since my medical I had tonsilitis and just needed some antibiotics (phenoxymethylpenicillin, to be precise haha) nothing major, do I tell my AFCO or not as its nothing serious!

thanks

8. Well told the Afco and the result looks like being delayed a year. Gutted but hopefully the time will pass quickly.

9. That sucks, at least it is likely a delay rather than a bar to entry though :)

10. Don't worry about it - the time flies. I have had all sorts of delays due to residency and other hiccups - just keep your head in, and you will be fine :) As Rachel said - rather a delay then a bar, or getting kicked out as you didn't tell them

11. jonny700 - as long as all has resolved no need to inform them.