Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken bones and metal plates

I'm due to start basic training at the end of the year but since my medical/fitness test I broke my collarbone which resulted in getting some screws and metal plates. Do I need to tell someone and will it stop me from joining? Cheers in advance.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

LaurenMc

Lantern Swinger
I'm due to start basic training at the end of the year but since my medical/fitness test I broke my collarbone which resulted in getting some screws and metal plates. Do I need to tell someone and will it stop me from joining? Cheers in advance.

You need to tell your afco straight away, otherwise when you have your next medical/inspection you will look like a liar, I'm not too sure on how it will affect your progress, but you need to be honest with your afco. They will find out one way or another. Good luck.

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
You definitely need to tell them asap, only then can someone appropriate assess your injury and tell you if it will be a issue or not.

Best of luck.

tegr17

Badgeman
You'd better waiting for a response from AD or NS, my AFCO told me to ditch football incase of any injury which would result in a years deferral. As Lauren said let your AFCO straight away as it may look like you weren't honest on your medical form.

A

angrydoc

Yes tell your AFCO.

Yes it will delay you, as you have a healing fracture. Running around with a bergan on will be a tad uncomfortable at the mo, I'd suggest!

Codheed88

Tell them!! They will need medical notes on it from the hospital .. Details about it .. I have 2 metal plates in my arm and I've passed basic and now I'm at sultan in phase 2 so doesn't mean you can't join... One girl lied about a condition in our group and she was going home second day in Raleigh

jonny700

Midshipman
To save a thread - similar topic.

since my medical I had tonsilitis and just needed some antibiotics (phenoxymethylpenicillin, to be precise haha) nothing major, do I tell my AFCO or not as its nothing serious!

thanks

Well told the Afco and the result looks like being delayed a year. Gutted but hopefully the time will pass quickly.

Liquidity

Badgeman
Don't worry about it - the time flies. I have had all sorts of delays due to residency and other hiccups - just keep your head in, and you will be fine :) As Rachel said - rather a delay then a bar, or getting kicked out as you didn't tell them

A

angrydoc

jonny700 - as long as all has resolved no need to inform them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Previous broken bones, can they stop me getting in? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Press release: James Brokenshire announces overhaul of broken housing complaints system MoD News 0
C Royal Navy medical, Broken hand, problem? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
trelawney126 Broken waters in Devon The Gash Barge 4
T Broken Back Health & Fitness 18
T 'Queen concerned that United Kingdom will be broken up' Current Affairs 15
Good CO Short term broken forum links - known issue Site Issues 0
P Broken leg Health & Fitness 5
S Broken Resolve Diamond Lil's 2
T Broken linky in site menu to donations Site Issues 1
sgtpepperband Broken Britain: "Patience of a saint" Current Affairs 21
M Broken Hand Fter falling from bike Health & Fitness 7
G Broken hand Health & Fitness 7
L Broken toe.......Gutted Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
_Tim_ I had a broken ankle Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
S Disarming Britain & Kids, Knives and Broken Lives Current Affairs 7
T More government promises broken to PTSD Veterans Current Affairs 0
SILVER_FOX HAS THE MILITARY COVENANT BEEN BROKEN? Current Affairs 1
rosinacarley Broken Military Covenant Current Affairs 19
golden_rivet I'm broken hearted The Quarterdeck 3
PartTimePongo Blair will leave Brown to pick up the pieces in broken Iraq Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Government backs 3D X-ray technology to capture images of diseased bones in 40 seconds MoD News 0
T A daily beer can help your bones & stop osteoporosis...... Diamond Lil's 2
rod-gearing On the bones of your arse Diamond Lil's 16
MoD_RSS Portland Scrap Metal fined for keeping waste vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS LLWR awards multi-million pound metal framework contract MoD News 0
KyleE1106 Brasso/metal polish Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS Hampshire landowner fined for running a scrap metal operation on a protected Site of Special Scientific Interest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Water and Abandoned Metal Mines projects in North Pennines progress well MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Precious metal investment schemes lands director with 14-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Futuristic super-thin metal could create ‘solar-panel shirts’ MoD News 0
Stirlin Heavy Metal. Current Affairs 0
G Metal plate in my hand Health & Fitness 16
trelawney126 Green Light for Metal Theft Current Affairs 4
BillyNoMates Korean Death Metal Band. Diamond Lil's 1
C METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS anyone??? Gaming 6
toycommandos fans of full metal jacket The Corps 30