Broken Back

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TheReverend210, Dec 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, first time poster etc.

Anyway, I was planning on joining the RN after I graduate university in June, and as far as I could tell I would have passed all the medical/fitness tests etc. (9:13 for the 2.4km on the treadmill down the gym and all the requisite push ups and sit ups etc.)

Well, 2 weeks ago in a drunken stupor I decided it would be a good idea to climb onto a 12' roof, which I promptly fell off and fratcured a number of vertebrae.

I did some quick research, and it appears I would only get rejected on medical grounds if I needed surgery, which I didn't. In fact, I was up and walking about (albeit with a back brace) within 5 hours of arriving at A&E. Obviously, I'm not allowed to run for another 4 weeks, but I can walk and drive with no problems.

Just hoping someone could give me any clue as to whether I have ruined my chances of a naval career, or once I'm along the road to recovery, it should all be fine.

Thanks for any input.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Again, certainly not a medical expert but am aware of people with similar injuries, without having had any surgery, that have unfortunately not been passed fit for entry.

Ultimately, it's the medical examiners call.

Best of luck

3. Join up as an officer you'll be fine. You would have had it surgically removed at Dartmouth either way.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 8
  4. Collapsed fracture of 5th lumbar vertebrae didn't stop me joining 12 months later ... ok that was in 1970 but didn't need surgery and never had a day off sick with it since.

5. There's a high incidence of chronic back pain in those who have sustained spinal fracture(s) and for that reason we are usually reluctant to accept anyone with a history of such. Suggest you contact your AFCO soonest.

6. I had a similar back injury a few years ago from mountain biking which didn't throw up any problems at the medical at all, as well as a broken ankle, broken wrist and shoulder! Not all at the same time though. He just wanted to make sure everything was working as it should and i had full range of movement. So as long as you can tick those boxes im sure you will be fine. Good luck with it!

7. Ninja_Stoker

It would be perhaps premature to conduct an online diagnosis with regard medical suitability for military service based on unrelated personal experience rather than qualified professional opinion once in possession of the full medical detail.

Caution is advocated rather than unbridled optimism as it covers all possible outcomes without being incorrect.

8. Of course caution rather than unbridled optimism is the best way i agree, i'm just telling him about my experience which i believe is relevant because of the similarity of the injuries. It was certainly not an online diagnosis, i should have made that clear. :icon_smile:

9. Ok, thanks guys.

So basically, if the medical officer during the exam decides the injuries are negligible, I should be fine. Would he be likely to just outright dismiss my injuries and declare me ineligible, or do further tests before making a decision?
    I mean, my back seems fine, and it actually took 2 x-rays and a CT scan to find the tiny breaks; so fingers crossed, such an injury shouldn't hamper my dream of becoming Warfare Officer on an Astute!

Thanks again.

10. It's highly probable that the Medical Examiner employed to do the AFCO's Medicals will refer your case upwards for an opinion at a higher level, which is where the ultimate decision on your acceptability will be made. If that happens, it will take some time for a decision to be handed down.

I see that you are "planning on joining the RN after (you) graduate university in June" - does this mean that you are hoping to start your application next summer or that you are hoping to actually join then?

11. Hoping to start the application process in June. I realise it will take a while, a friend of mine wanted an engineering job on an aircraft carrier (I forget the specific role he went for), but in his two-and-a-half year wait, he damaged his knee playing football and rendered himself ineligible.

Although similarly, a lad down the road from my parents applied to be a submariner rating and got the call about 4 days after he passed all his preliminary tests.

Hopefully it will take less than 2 years, because then I'll be too old for Warfare.

12. How old are you at the moment, TR210?

Where are your nearest RN Careers Advisors?

Top tip - if the idea of clambering onto a roof or any similar escapade suggests itself to you while in a drunken stupor in the near future, resist it.

13. I'm 24 at the moment, as I understand it the age limit is up to the day before my 26th birthday, and it's counted from when I walk through the doors of BRNC.

The nearest careers advisor at the moment will be Newcastle city centre, but assuming I go home after university, the nearest one will be in Bristol.

Even though it was only a small fracture, there was always a chance of paralysis, so I intend never to endanger my back in such a fashion again.

14. Doesn't sound like a small fracture to me. I would advise extreme caution in your application, regardless of what rem3pt has suggested.

15. Just join as a Warfairy cos loads are jellyfish anyway! No backbone required whatsoever just an ability to agree with the Jimmy!

16. I broke my back a year and a half ago and had to have surgery (they injected a cement thing into the fractured part of my back). I then had to wear a back brace for 6 weeks. Would I have problems with my medical if I applied?

17. Yes you would. Spinal fractures are a bar to entry. Sorry I can't be more positive than that.

18. Ninja_Stoker

You forgot to add Happy New Year, Doc.

19. :-( I will go and speak to someone about it. I hope it doesn't cause problems :-( Thanks for the info though, guys :)