Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dave_88, Nov 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey, im david this is my first post.
    a week ago i sent off my initial officer interest form, currently thinking about warfare officer. ive been flicking through all the leaflets & guides to careers and all that. it all seems rather all nice and rosey. now obviously, its meant to look like that, but what i want to know is, whats not in the brochures that they dont want you to see? or is it in fact like it is in the brochures?
  2. Hello David, and welcome to RR

Well obviously they don't tell you lots and lots and lots. Life can't be summarised in a glossy brochure and the same can be said for any job. I am not in the RN yet, but also want to be a Warfare Officer.

The obvious biggies that are missing from the brochure

-You might have to kill
    -You might be killed
    -You need to be prepared to go to war, and should not underestimate the impact this might have on you and your family.

I would never say that the decision to join the Royal Navy, especially as an officer, should be “nice and roseyâ€. Ok, if you were to join the RN now the chances of being killed/ having to kill are low BUT it is not utterly fanciful to imagine that one day you could be put in a very different position. Have a serious think about why you want to join the RN, and do think about all eventualities not just the snazzy uniform and position of power. There are much easier ways to earn a much better living.

The more experienced members will be more useful no doubt.

I suggest that you try and get a place on one of the Potential Warfare Officer Acquaint courses, this should clear up some of doubts you have (especially if you are made to watch video about the effects of war as we were)
  3. its not that im having doubts, this is what i want to do. its just im curious as to what goes on, the ups and the downs.
  4. As I said, once you are in contact with your ACLO (Careers Liaison Officer) ask him/her if you can go on a PWO Acquaint, it should help give you a taster of life in the RN. We looked around a Type 42, got to talk to some Sub-Lt who were about to go on IST, play on the bridge simulator, etc etc.
    Very worthwhile 3 days.
  5. Sounds like a good plan to me. Thank you very much.
  6. Does anyone have any information on the warfare officers acquaint course? I could only find the ratings one in Edinburgh on the RN website.