Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by seafarer1939, Jun 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need some advice re.above.At the moment I'm just plugging in a 3G dongle with lowish speeds.
    I'm out of all areas for regular Broadband so this is all I can do except;
    Plusnet is offering a good deal with a free router.
    I don't understand what a router does.
    We have a passage way with expensive hardwood flooring if we had to have trailing cables from the telephone point near the door the wife would go ape.
    I suppose I could have a another one fitted but it negates the cheap price of the Broadband then.
    Any one know how to over come this?Thanks if you can
  2. Sounds to me the options are;

A wireless router, (negates cables.)

Get rid of wife.

Get rid of expensive hardwood flooring.
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I will explain what I have done to get over a similar problem. May not work for you and is not the cheapest option, but you gets what you pay for.

I am with BT and I find their service, on the whole, good. I have signed up to BT Total Broadband which comes in via landline. I used that for years and had my PC in the living room, close to the phone socket. I got a notebook, my son got a laptop and I wanted to move out of the living room so I went wireless. This just means a small box same size as the router close to the phone socket and a small dongle for the PC, which is old and not wireless enabled. This means that I can use my PC in my bedroom - no wires from router as that is what wireless is all about :) I can use my notebook while watching TV (sad I know) and my son can virtually live in his room, only coming out to pick up food and drink!

BT Total Broadband also gives me access to BT FON which is a system whereby tiny amounts of my broadband are bled off and used to make up a hotspot which anyone with this BT facility can log into. It does not give access to my computer. This means that y son and myself can use our laptop/notebook/smartphones virtually anywhere in UK - might be struggling on top of Lochnagar though.

As I say, not cheap, but nothing BT does is. I have been with them for years so have accrued loyalty discounts. Initially you could be looking at a monthly cost of £30-40 depending on what you sign up for but after a year BT are more open to negotiation.

Anyway, short story-long-cut, get a wireless system in your house - dead easy to set up and very flexible. No wires running down corridors = happy missus.

Hope this helps.

Legal notice: All the information given is purely for advice and AG accepts no responsibility for mongness on behalf of the reader or indeed on his own behalf!
  4. Your wireless router will need to be near a power point and phone outlet. If they are both close by you won't have too much cable visible. The router is the piece of kit that allows up to 3 (normally) computers to be connected to the internet at any one time. It is relatively small and takes up very little space but may be visible depending on it's location.
  5. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Perfect and succinct solution waspie - well done. Only difference I would make is to retain the hardwood flooring in the hall so that seafarer can practice his shuffleboard techniques to use on the granny-grabing cruises he will go on after putting into action task 2!
  6. Thanks for those replies I know a bit more now and I'll check it out.
    Getting rid of the wife sounds better than ripping up the expensive flooring!Cheers.
  7. But you'll still have to lift up a couple of those floorboards up, SF.

Where else would you stash today's windfall of £19k, eh? :wink: