BRNC - Training Management Officer

So I've applied for Training Management Officer, and I'm currently waiting to hear back to begin the process of going for the initial face to face, at my nearest AFCO.

I've read many threads on here dated from years back, and they're all stating various different timescales from the beginning, up until getting a start date at BRNC. I'm just wondering if anyone here has applied for the same role recently and has gone through the process? And would be able to a give a realistic timescale? Or at least give me a run down on the process they went through.

I'd also love some tips on what else I should be doing throughout the entire process e.g. I'm regularly checking the Navy News, I'm constantly learning more and more about the Naval history already, reading up on the ships, weapons, career progression etc. Some extra guidance, or at least a few tips about what to truly focus on would be great? I'm conscious of any major changes in the process, since most threads are dated prior to 2015 that I've read.

So I've applied for Training Management Officer, and I'm currently waiting to hear back to begin the process of going for the initial face to face, at my nearest AFCO.

I've read many threads on here dated from years back, and they're all stating various different timescales from the beginning, up until getting a start date at BRNC. I'm just wondering if anyone here has applied for the same role recently and has gone through the process? And would be able to a give a realistic timescale? Or at least give me a run down on the process they went through.

I'd also love some tips on what else I should be doing throughout the entire process e.g. I'm regularly checking the Navy News, I'm constantly learning more and more about the Naval history already, reading up on the ships, weapons, career progression etc. Some extra guidance, or at least a few tips about what to truly focus on would be great? I'm conscious of any major changes in the process, since most threads are dated prior to 2015 that I've read.
Won't comment on the Training Management aspect as I have zero knowledge of that, but the pipeline and knowledge perhaps I can help with.

With regards to application timescales, a lot depends on your medical. It's run by Capita (TYVM, Anchor Faced), who are dreadful at most things. It can be relatively painless, or a total shitshow.

I'll skip over the pre-Sift Interview stuff; it's well covered on here to be honest and I'd add nothing of value.

Interview: You and your AFCO. They want you to do well, so try to relax as much as possible. Learn the training pipeline for Dartmouth and beyond - i.e. Which training exercises come in Phase 1? What tests accompany Initial Fleet Time? Your AFCO will send you all of this info before your interview, so don't panic about not having this yet.

Navy News - the current deployments map is very useful. Current affairs will be tested at Interviw and AIB, in varying depths. Where is the RN currently deployed? Don't forget the RM and the CHF in this! Why is Britain building carriers, why are we going East of Suez? Where are our shore bases? Who is the First Sea Lord?

Speaking of current affairs, it never hurts to have your own opinion on what 'X' means for the RN, or the wider UK. i.e. If North Korea does kick off, what are the risks to the RN? Obviously they don't expect a thesis, but it's a good chance for you to demonstrate an ability to see a wider strategic picture.

Naval Knowledge / Naval history is no longer tested at AIB. You will not be asked questions on previous naval engagements or events. I suspect many on here would expect a working knowledge of British naval history to be a plus-point for potential officers and ratings; you are joining an organisation with a very proud history and traditions.

Edit: To add, as long as it is, the pre-AIB thread is certainly worth the time it takes to read it. Lots of good hints and tips.

Last edited:

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Morning,

Still hanging on by my fingernails I'm afraid @ninja - out of the loop these Ten Years, but I'm close enough to the branch to give you some pointers if you want to PM me...