BRNC to becoming a navigational officer and gaining PWO status

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by The G, Mar 10, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently going though the process of joining as a warfare officer. (Pre-SIFT interview)
    There are two reasons why i want to know the process from joining BRNC to becoming a navigational officer and gaining PWO status. The first being that i want to know what i'm getting into. Secondly its something that i was told would come up in the interview.
    I have looked in every place i can think of but i cant find a definitive answer.
    What i could really do with is a step by step guide with timescales of what happens and where it takes place.
    And if you could explain any abbreviations that you use, that would be most helpful. Just as everyone seams to use them and i have no idea what most of them mean.
    Thank you every so much.

The G
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Until someone with the spare time puts together a bespoke guide for you, try the search function, search terms:

warfare PWO BRNC
  3. It is as simple as turn up, become Warfare Officer, become Officer of the Watch, become Navigator, become PWO. That is the default for Warfare Officers..
  4. I have tried the search and at each place i looked i got something different. The order in which things are done is different and the timescales.
    Thanks but i'm looking for something a bit more detailed. ;)
  5. I've looked at them and they were very useful. However they haven't answered my question unfortunately. :/
  6. 4 - 6 years OOW, 2 - 4 NO, PWO course. Sea jobs are at sea, all training at Collingwood. Timescales will vary dependent on a host of things, principally how good you are and the needs of the service.

I know people who are FNOs after 1 OOW job and those who've never been recommended for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thank you very much.
    Just what is an FNO?
  8. A Navigating Officer; the course title is Frigate Navigator Officer, but you can be a FNO on ships other than a Frigate (FPV, T45, OCEAN, LPD and CVS).
  9. Ahhh, not what I thought then :)
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There was me thinking Fecking Naval Officer :toothy2:
    • Like Like x 2