BRNC Summer camp?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by J.Richardson, Jun 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, had and interview with my ACLO about being an MO, but because I'm not at uni yet he said he can't do much about it.

He did say that he's try to get me on a summer camp at BRNC Dartmouth for the 3rd - 11th August. Was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this? I was under the impression (before the interview anyway) that it was only available to sea cadets.

Cheers :D

2. I should be there, as an Officer Cadet spending an extra week at Hogwarts.

I did this course in 2006, Best Cadet in my Division I might add! Its primarily a CCF camp, with extra spots available to SCC Cadets and Directorate of Naval Recruiting. Anyway, I would recommend this week to anyone who wants to join the Royal Navy as an Officer, the first week has been half as much as a culture shock to me, as it was to those who have never been here before.

What's involved in the week? Well you arrive in almost exactly the same way New Entry cadets will on their first day, albeit no nerves, and safe in the knowledge that you will get some sleep! You will basically do things that New Entry Cadets do in their first few weeks, over one week, i.e. Parade Training, River Ex, perhaps the most important for anyone considering attending the AIB, practice PLTs and much more. Anymore questions feel free to ask!

3. I agree with P_O!! Great course! I have attended it twice. I have loved both times. The YOs down there are really useful if you want to probe them for info about BRNC life and the AIB!!

4. Any specific rate you need to attend? Or is it as long as you're over 15 or 16?

Thanks for the info by the way :thumright:

5. And if the young Middies are as good as my division was, watch out if you're a pretty 18 yo female, you may get probed back.....

6. Well it is a course for people that are considering a career in the RN as a Officer. So realistically, you should be around 16/17/18..... Rate isn't really necessary.. but most people were LC/POC.

7. that shouldn't be a problem for me then....I hope!

8. LOL so I take it the boys at BRNC arent that desperate then. Pervs haha.

9. I really wish I could confirm or deny that statement, however the Royal Navy's Equal Opportunities rules forbid me to tell you just how unappealing the lasses are.

10. As I'm not in the Navy yet, I'll make sure to tell all when I get back from the camp!

Unless that'll put me in bad stead for when I do join the navy? :S I don't fancy being hated by everyone before I join....we'll see anyway!

11. Right I'm not going to be at the Summer Camp as the EXTA disAppointer thought it would be wise to put people with no Cadet experience on instead...

My DO and ADO know I was on the Summer Camp, and it changes nothing, because although Summer Camp is really useful for those of you wanting to eventually come to Hogwarts and get paid for it, it is only an insight into training and nothing more, it just gives you a heads up into life at Hogwarts and whether or not it is for you.

Have a very enjoyable time at BRNC, get here if you can, and although the days are long (you know you have made a major life change when you see 0730 on a Sunday Morning as a lie in to look forward to!) I would not want to be anywhere else in the world right now!

12. Eek LOL. So are you trying to say that they are all lacking in the looks department, or that they bat for the other team? :afro:

13. All my questions about going as a Sea Cadet don't matter anymore....Navy just called to confirm the delivery of my confirmation e-mail - I'll be a civvy for the week :D

Do many other civvies go? Or will I be surrounded by a ton of uniformed CCF and SCC???

14. right, take this with a pinch of salt but I did it as a CCF cadet in 1998 and 99, and then staffed it as a YO in '03. You're going as a DNR? Fine, they'll issue you with 8s when you get there. Or, you could use some initiative and just take your SCC stuff- at least blues, half blues and 8s/4s. You're not going to confuse anybody for more than about 2 seconds.

The YOs staffing your division really won't care. IIRC, the second time I went in 99 was as a DNR but that didn't stop me just dressing CCF- quite apart from anything elese you've got kit that fits, why look like a scranbag for a week? DNR are a sizeable minority, but most there will be CCF of all three services, SCC, or VCC.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

15. Cool, cheers for that - good info there :thumright: