BRNC - Sleeping arrangements

dnnidlc

Midshipman
General question regarding BRNC, and the sleeping arrangements - just to clarify some extra details about the 30 weeks for my general knowledge.

After watching the BRNC documentary which was an entry that passed out in 2012, and re-watching it maybe six/seven times, are the sleeping arrangements for women still two to a room? I'm confused as to why the men had one giant sleeping quarters all together, and the women were on bunk beds in separate rooms.

I thought that in terms of building comradeship, and general bonding among the women like the men, that they'd bunch all of us women together also?

I suspect that the use of giant sleeping quarters has more to do with economy and standards of the past (before women were admitted to Dartmouth) than to any difference in treatment. If more smaller cabins were available the men would be in them as well.

My son moved into a single cabin in a more modern part of the college later during his time at Dartmouth

The girls are in 2s 3s or 4s during militarisation while the lads are mostly in 4s 5s or 6s with the exception of the zoo (~30) and mini zoo (16).

During marinisation the guys are in 2s while the girls usually have their own rooms, often in different blocks from the lads in their division, which isnt ideal.

dnnidlc

Midshipman
The girls are in 2s 3s or 4s during militarisation while the lads are mostly in 4s 5s or 6s with the exception of the zoo (~30) and mini zoo (16).

During marinisation the guys are in 2s while the girls usually have their own rooms, often in different blocks from the lads in their division, which isnt ideal.
Seems a bit weird to have us separated that much during marinisation. Having your own room also - that seems to halt any further bonding. That isn’t me suggesting it’s a social place or a summer camp. But the comradeship & team-building is supposed to be a part of the training.

I feel like that part is vastly out dated.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Seems a bit weird to have us separated that much during marinisation. Having your own room also - that seems to halt any further bonding. That isn’t me suggesting it’s a social place or a summer camp. But the comradeship & team-building is supposed to be a part of the training.

Might be better to join first before trying to fix all the problems :):):D

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Seems a bit weird to have us separated that much during marinisation.
Having your own room also - that seems to halt any further bonding.
The enquiry was just for understanding, and what to expect upon arrival.
Oh.
Right. :cool:

You're probably not the only one with opinions, but until you actually get accepted, get through initial training and then start to get respected, probably better to leave the organisation to those who know why things are done like they are.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger

Quite.
Hardly preparation for submarine service for the vigilant

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
photface Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C Joining the Royal Navy 37
R RFA 5