Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

BRNC? Me?

Chalky, it is up to you on the degree thing, you spend the time either at Uni then become a Lt at about 23, or you join up and become a Lt at about 23, having been paid for 4-5 years service by then, and having travelled around the world in the interim. I was going to join at 21 post Uni, but opted for the direct non grad route and went travelling with the RN and being paid for it. Have now cracked 71 different countries so far, and get paid a decent wage, with a relatively easy job, so I'd recommend going for RN Officer. I am currently doing my Masters, which isn't bad for a non grad! Good luck!

Hello I was jsut wondering is you are able to go to BRNC if you have a half decently scored National Diploma (which is equivelent to 3 A-Levels). Any replies would be great.

Make-n-Mend said:
...I suspect BRNC was/is the same as any intial training establishment...like kindergarden. You get treated like a child, but you just have to play the game...its not difficult.

Like kindergarden? Ganges!?! If only... :lol: I take it then that training these days is not what it was in the 1960s and 70s? One of my colleagues in my current job joined as an officer in the 1950s, and he was 13! This suggests degrees are not everything. At least I don't think he had to do a degree by the age of 12.

If you are not enjoying your degree course I would stop and join up. You can always return to it as a mature student, choosing a topic you like, and do it as a hobby. I can certainly recommend it!

As an ex Naval Officer without a degree I would advise you to bin the degree if you are unhappy and join up now!! Because of the exceptional training given to me by the Navy I now hold a well paid Proffessional employment and as an offshoot could choose many other careers because of my training. Make no mistake, the training offered has NO comparison in civilian life. It is thorough and streaks ahead of any civilian alternative. Grads these days are two a penny and there are many who are on and will remain on the dole because they are simply unemployable. The Navy is a meritocracy and always has been since before Nelson. If you have got it then you will get it and it's all down to you, with or without a degree. You have to attain a high standard before you are Commissioned. As a Naval Officer you will certainly learn your own limitations both physically and mentally. Dartmouth is a breeze! Good Luck!

Thanks Nozzy. I've decided to can it for a while and transfer my credits to an OU degree.

Now the Bootnecks in my family are piling on the pressure so I have to face that hurdle next!

You were bang on Geoffrey and the AIB say APPLYING for a defferal is a breach of contract. Bollocks. Find it a bit hard to swallow that it`s the exact day my mum shat me out and not the fact I have spent the last three years studying for a difficult degree that determines my pay and future promotion. Got my finals comming up and if I fail them and have to resit an entire year it won't matter a shite. Not a great motivator.

NearlyNavy said:
You were bang on Geoffrey and the AIB say APPLYING for a defferal is a breach of contract. Bollocks. Find it a bit hard to swallow that it`s the exact day my mum shat me out and not the fact I have spent the last three years studying for a difficult degree that determines my pay and future promotion. Got my finals comming up and if I fail them and have to resit an entire year it won't matter a shite. Not a great motivator.

The service is not a nanny, if you make choices it will assume you have done the research and know what you are doing. That is something every one learns sooner or later, sounds like sooner in your case. Look at it from their point of view, they have filled their quota for that entry and would find it difficult to fill your space this late in the process, and are unlikely to want to put in some one who on the first pass did not make their standards.

Having said that the service I am sure will provide you with a very good career, and it may well turn out that the loss in seniority works in your favour later on, it can work out that way.

All the best and work hard and play hard.

Peter

Cheers Peter it's nice to know people are reading me crying like a girl, feel better for it. I do fully understand the position they have to take on this, there has to be a line somewhere and I just happen to be on the wrong side of it. At least I have my youth and good looks!

NearlyNavy said:

I say again .... Unless of course you accidentally suffer a serious but temporary illness/injury in mid-September which will take a month to clear up.

:wink:

NearlyNavy said:
Cheers Peter it's nice to know people are reading me crying like a girl, feel better for it. I do fully understand the position they have to take on this, there has to be a line somewhere and I just happen to be on the wrong side of it. At least I have my youth and good looks!

No I am not suggesting you are being a sissy just pointing out the realities of life. The system has dealt you a bum deal. If it was me I would bitch too. At the end of the day though if you want to makr it in the service then you have to get over it and use the experience as a learning experience.

Just remeber I have gained the wisdom of age, and still have my good looks.

Good luck.

peter

Get joined up and enjoy it. Naval experience is better than any poxy degree, years ago degrees meant a certain level of education had been acheived but now they are so easy they are just worthless bits of paper. Every man and his dog goes to uni now. I did a masters in business management a couple of years ago and there were foreign students whose english was crap to say the least, but they still got the paper. I have a higher than avergage paid job and get money that I couldn't have dreamed of earning in the forces but the only reason I have that job is because of what I learned in the navy. There really is no substitute for experience and a lot of employers know that with our training we can and will do what is required to get the job done.
As for the navy vs marines thought, would you rather be sipping pink gins in the wardroom wearing fluffy slippers or leading your men over mountains being cold wet and living in a tree? I would say take the navy option and enjoy the cruise..... good luck mate

Latest Threads