BRNC May 2020

As there will now be a pause in applications for people at all stages, be it AIB, FATs, PJFT etc because of COVID, would it not be the case that whoever was selected at the board that has just sat will go into the next INT(O) course whether it’s in May or postponed to a later entry date?

qmulrhulhku1992

Midshipman
As there will now be a pause in applications for people at all stages, be it AIB, FATs, PJFT etc because of COVID, would it not be the case that whoever was selected at the board that has just sat will go into the next INT(O) course whether it’s in May or postponed to a later entry date?
I am making an educated guess here as well as I am only an applicant and not an ACLO, but I would think the answer to your question is 'it depends':

If INT(O) in May is actually cancelled, obviously those who have been selected for May has a very good chance of getting accepted again in September because they (hopefully, we) will have a sufficiently competitive AIB score.

However, in the event that the INT(O) in May is cancelled and the AIBs are to be continued before the next Selection Board sits (sometime in July I am guessing), obviously there will be new scores. This is where the guess-work starts as no one really knows how they will treat these new scores.

Realistically they will have 4 options:
1. Not do a Selection Board in July and grab the May intake and stick us in during September
2. Do a double/larger intake than normal so that the original May candidate can go in as well as those who scored a higher AIB score between recontinuing of AIBs and the next Board
3. Take the May intake as a June/July intake (delay the timetable)
3. Do a new Selection Board as normal

Obviously Option 1 would be optimal for those that are selected for May, because that offers some security, but I am not sure how likely that would be, given that the RN is (rightly, but in a way unfortunate for us) more focused on getting the best and more suited in.

Option 2 also seems somewhat unlikely to me, as the Navy would be concerned with the quality of training and potentially the limit of how many of us BRNC can realistically deal with, but then that obviously has to be weighed against the need for fresh blood especially with the Navy's decreasing numbers when people are quitting like flies after 5-7 years of service

Option 3 has the same issues as to Option 2, it might have a negative impact on the quality of training as that would mean there is a period of overlap with the September intake. Also, it would have an impact with when the RN can get back to business as usual due to the overlap.

Option 4 would be the worst for us but seemingly the simplest option for the RN.

Chances are not even the leadership of the RN could give you an answer on your question at this point because they haven't even decided on whether to go ahead with May INT(O). Everything I have said above is simply guess-work from my part and I AM simply an applicant so you could say I am simply talking trash really. The only thing that I can say with 100% confidence is... We all have to wait and see what they decide really. Sorry

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
Looks like Ghostrider is checking to see if the pattern is full, again. (Sorry)

To answer your question: I was led to believe by my ACLO that candidates selected for the May intake, if cancelled, would be automatically "pre-selected" for the following intake. Unsure on the details, but hope this answers the question.

With the May intake just less than 8 weeks away I’d like to think they will provisionally go ahead as normal with the possibility of postponing if it doesn’t blow over in time. That’s 100% just my wishful thinking.

ExonDrake

With the May intake just less than 8 weeks away I’d like to think they will provisionally go ahead as normal with the possibility of postponing if it doesn’t blow over in time. That’s 100% just my wishful thinking.
Wishful thinking rather unfortunately seems to be the case. Just had it from my ACLO that the May intake is off the table... nothing concrete yet on what is going to happen going forward.

soleil

War Hero
Wishful thinking rather unfortunately seems to be the case. Just had it from my ACLO that the May intake is off the table... nothing concrete yet on what is going to happen going forward.
There used to be a June intake for BRNC; there is always the possibility that a June intake could be organised for this year. This would allow the continuation of the training process for Officers, meaning that the required strength could still be reached.

Given that this is such a very strange and unexpected situation, I would imagine that a range of options is being considered. A July intake?

Has anyone from Portsmouth area had any kind of official communication about this (i.e. from ACLO)? Understand that those around Manchester received an email outlining situation yesterday/today but haven't heard anything (beyond second hand info) for weeks.

Moz

And your refererence, sir, is??
Received an email from my ACLO at 12:00 saying May was cancelled and those with places for September ie bursaries and scholarships. There are monitoring if that intake will go ahead.

The accelerated officers program for reservists maybe cancelled too.

Received an email from my ACLO at 12:00 saying May was cancelled and those with places for September ie bursaries and scholarships. There are monitoring if that intake will go ahead.

The accelerated officers program for reservists maybe cancelled too.
Many thanks. Nothing more certain than uncertainty during these unhappy times, keep safe.

My only advice would be to be prepared to go to BRNC at relatively short notice. Whilst the entry in May is cancelled, it doesn't mean there won't be one in June or July...

qmulrhulhku1992

Midshipman
May cancelled due to COVID19
I have heard it from my ACLO. BRNC May intake is not happening. They haven't yet decided what to do though
Looks like Ghostrider is checking to see if the pattern is full, again. (Sorry)
To answer your question: I was led to believe by my ACLO that candidates selected for the May intake, if cancelled, would be automatically "pre-selected" for the following intake. Unsure on the details, but hope this answers the question.
Since our ACLOs all hinted at the idea that those selected for May are quite likely to be selected for September, were any of us told that we were actually selected for May? And is our AIB scores still only good for a year since we all lost out of one intake?

Before anyone tells me to ask my ACLO - I did, just didn't get a response

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
Since our ACLOs all hinted at the idea that those selected for May are quite likely to be selected for September, were any of us told that we were actually selected for May? And is our AIB scores still only good for a year since we all lost out of one intake?

Before anyone tells me to ask my ACLO - I did, just didn't get a response
I've been given no further information than what has already been shared I'm afraid.

For now, I guess all we can do is sit tight and remain positive and hopeful for September.

Hopefully our AIB scores last for an extra intake to accommodate for the situation. Only time will tell for now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M BRNC May 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 94
S BRNC Dartmouth May Entry 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 190
T Warfare Officer BRNC intake numbers (May-Jan 17) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T-W-C BRNC May 2017 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 241
J May 2016 BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C BRNC May 2016 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
P Rfa brnc may 2015 RFA 13
S BRNC May 2015 Intake Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 697
Guski E (TM) BRNC May 2015 intake date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
1 BRNC May 2014 entry? (observe PERSEC!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
C BRNC Dartmouth May 2013 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
N BRNC May entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Z BRNC May 2011 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R BRNC Dartmouth May 2011 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
alfred_the_great BRNC May 2010 entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
TheRowan BRNC Dartmouth Induction May 2009 RFA 4
D RFA BRNC June 2020 intake Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
P Prep for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S RFA Training at BRNC RFA 13
alfred_the_great On BRNC, and other stuff... Joining the Royal Navy 0
A BRNC January 2020 Intake Joining the Royal Navy 33
J BRNC 16th Sept 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 1
S Potential RFA Officers - I'm happy to share my 2019 experience of interview process, BRNC, etc. RFA 16
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K BRNC Sept 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
C September selection (BRNC) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
Y BRNC Feb 19 RFA 10
L January 2019 BRNC Intake Joining the Royal Navy 37
photface BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C September 2018 BRNC Intake Joining the Royal Navy 37
R BRNC Soon RFA 5
R BRNC in Feb Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Starting BRNC in January- Potential role change? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
photface Dates for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
DB583 BRNC Dartmouth January 2018 entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
TechFin Whats the age for going to BRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
WannabeAdmiral BRNC morning routine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
dnnidlc BRNC - Sleeping arrangements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
dnnidlc BRNC - Training Management Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W BRNC - Confirmation Course Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
D Questions re BRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
K BRNC Acquaint 6-9 July Joining the Royal Navy 3
Y BRNC showers Joining the Royal Navy 13
M BRNC June 2017 RFA 20
A What is it like at BRNC during training? Joining the Royal Navy 14